Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By Joey
  • 1 Post By Joey

Thread: A Note From The Other Side

Joey is offline Registered User

A Note From The Other Side

Rams fans,

So I take it your all feeling a little let down this year by the way things have turned out. Who would have thought things would go they way they did for the across the boards chosen team to win the NFC West.

I would like to offer a glimpse of encouragement by asking you to look at the current division leader. Since 2007-2008 every year we have been told we had the talent to do good things, several years we were picked to win the division without even placing second. The last ten years were long tough years on Niner fans, at times it felt hopeless. It was a always a critical injury or three, a last second let down that lost a game we surely could have won, or even worse the nightmare of having our asses handed to us on platter by a clearly superior or better coached team. It was a difficult time.

We had consistent injuries at the perfect moments, we had a coach throw our QB under the bus, and at one embarrassing moment even a coach who dropped trou in the locker room to make a point. We were embarrassed, we were heckled, we were insulted, we were caught in a continual "rebuild" quagmire, without ever being able to get the right pieces together at the right time. But out of that experience we grew and we learned, and we got tough. We acquired youth, and intelligence through the draft, we made favorable draft picks and picked up key free agents without breaking the bank and here we are today with a new Coach, a new locker room atmosphere, a new team unity and going to the playoffs at the top of the division.

Why is this experience of a 4 9 er fan important to a Rams fan? Its because much like us, your hitting the same unexpected lows... devastating injuries, questionable coaching, and a losing environment in the locker room. But I see many similarities between the 4 9 ers of a few years ago and todays Rams. Your a player or two and a new coach from being a contender. Nothing encapsulates the Rams experience this year like Bartell breaking his back. The injuries your team has endured is actually far worse than anything the 4 9 ers endured in their ridiculously long rebuilding years. I mean do you have a CB who has not had a significant injury this year? Fletcher, Amendola, Bartell, Harris, Murphy, Cudjo.... I think I read that five players penciled in as starters are on the Rams injured reserve list this year and I don't think I have ever seen that number of ACL's on one team... I know the coach is under the gun now, but what coach could have overcome those odds?

My message to you is that from these injuries the players who replaced them have become better and even if they aren't going to be starters going forward your depth will be better as a result. You will have another year of high draft picks in each round, you will be getting injured players coming back next year and I have to believe karma is on your side.... no one could have back to back years of such bad injury luck. You will still have Bradford, you have lloyd, you have Jackson, you will get Amendola back and many others. Through adversity you will become stronger.

And as a 4 9 er fan I wish you the best of luck in that process because we need you guys back. The Seattle and Cardinal fans are delusional in their sense of self grandeur. Kidding, but I do miss the great rivalry we had, and I believe the rams will show up next year. Good luck next Sunday, and going forward rams fans, and keep your heads up. Some of the comments in here by posters I remember from way back when made me remember how ugly I felt after year after year of let downs, but also it reminded me how quickly all those memories have faded after such an amazing special year.

Peace, Happy Holidays, and most importantly happy NEW YEAR!

Joe (from the old boards)
    Last edited by Joey; -12-27-2011 at 09:01 PM.
    laram0, Truth, Jonze and 2 others like this.

MACD is offline Registered User

Re: A Note From The Other Side

Class. Thanks.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I agree with you that we have talent on this team. Obviously the rash of injuries this season killed us but I also feel like we need a Headcoach that has headcoaching experience. Like the 4 9ers had we have a solid nucleus on our team to build around just need the right leader. You guys got very lucky having Harbaugh come in and turn the franchise around. His positive never say die attitude is just what we need.

Good luck in the playoffs. Make the rest of us NFC West fans proud. I'm sick of hearing how the NFC West is the worst.

Wishing you a Happy and Healthy NEW YEAR!!!

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Thanx for your kind comments in this darkest of hours. My question to you concerns your new HC. TBH I really thought that Singletary would be doing just about as well as Harbaugh is but it did not work out that way.
    What are your thoughts on this? Or, more succintly, what does Harbs bring to the table that Sing didn't?

One other point I'd like to make before you answer. In looking at the Whiner offense it appears that it is the same "run first" philosophy that Singletary tried to instill, yet for some reason it is working quite well this season. Just seems odd because I have heard many a Whiner fan complain about Sing's offense as outdated and outmoded but from what I can gather Harbaugh is making it work....Go figure...

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    Rams fans,

So I take it your all feeling a little let down this year by the way things have turned out. Who would have thought things would go they way they did for the across the boards chosen team to win the NFC West.

I would like to offer a glimpse of encouragement by asking you to look at the current division leader. Since 2007-2008 every year we have been told we had the talent to do good things, several years we were picked to win the division without even placing second. The last ten years were long tough years on Niner fans, at times it felt hopeless. It was a always a critical injury or three, a last second let down that lost a game we surely could have won, or even worse the nightmare of having our asses handed to us on platter by a clearly superior or better coached team. It was a difficult time.

We had consistent injuries at the perfect moments, we had a coach throw our QB under the bus, and at one embarrassing moment even a coach who dropped trou in the locker room to make a point. We were embarrassed, we were heckled, we were insulted, we were caught in a continual "rebuild" quagmire, without ever being able to get the right pieces together at the right time. But out of that experience we grew and we learned, and we got tough. We acquired youth, and intelligence through the draft, we made favorable draft picks and picked up key free agents without breaking the bank and here we are today with a new Coach, a new locker room atmosphere, a new team unity and going to the playoffs at the top of the division.

Why is this experience of a 4 9 er fan important to a Rams fan? Its because much like us, your hitting the same unexpected lows... devastating injuries, questionable coaching, and a losing environment in the locker room. But I see many similarities between the 4 9 ers of a few years ago and todays Rams. Your a player or two and a new coach from being a contender. Nothing encapsulates the Rams experience this year like Bartell breaking his back. The injuries your team has endured is actually far worse than anything the 4 9 ers endured in their ridiculously long rebuilding years. I mean do you have a CB who has not had a significant injury this year? Fletcher, Amendola, Bartell, Harris, Murphy, Cudjo.... I think I read that five players penciled in as starters are on the Rams injured reserve list this year and I don't think I have ever seen that number of ACL's on one team... I know the coach is under the gun now, but what coach could have overcome those odds?

My message to you is that from these injuries the players who replaced them have become better and even if they aren't going to be starters going forward your depth will be better as a result. You will have another year of high draft picks in each round, you will be getting injured players coming back next year and I have to believe karma is on your side.... no one could have back to back years of such bad injury luck. You will still have Bradford, you have lloyd, you have Jackson, you will get Amendola back and many others. Through adversity you will become stronger.

And as a 4 9 er fan I wish you the best of luck in that process because we need you guys back. The Seattle and Cardinal fans are delusional in their sense of self grandeur. Kidding, but I do miss the great rivalry we had, and I believe the rams will show up next year. Good luck next Sunday, and going forward rams fans, and keep your heads up. Some of the comments in here by posters I remember from way back when made me remember how ugly I felt after year after year of let downs, but also it reminded me how quickly all those memories have faded after such an amazing special year.

Peace, Happy Holidays, and most importantly happy NEW YEAR!

Joe (from the old boards)
    Thanks Joey! Boy, the Rams could sure use Carlos Rodgers right about now! He and the rest of the Fortyniner defense are playing top notch ball. Good luck in the playoffs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RAMarkable, I replied to your questions but my post was blocked I think because it included a link. Says a moderator has to approve it.

39WillRunYaOva is offline Registered User

Appreciate the love and words of encouragement,we do have talent on this roster and i think this year we did find out a couple of players will be good for depth just not good enough to start consistently.I hope we turn it around next year with a good HC and good draft i think we will be back in the hunt for the NFC west crown next season.Yea im tired of hearing us called the NFC worst i really think we arent that bad a division,this year of course we were terrible but yall the hawks and cardinals made our division look decent.Here is to a good game and happy new years!!!

Your probably already aware of this being he is your namesake, but I was working on a piece tonight about NFC running backs in respect to their pro bowl votes and positions.. I was astounded to see that Jackson had over a thousand yards, about 250 carries, and just ONE fumble. ONE! Dude is still a stud.

(McCoy actually had one fumble as well, I think that might be unprecedented)
    Last edited by Joey; -12-28-2011 at 04:33 AM.
    39WillRunYaOva likes this.

39WillRunYaOva is offline Registered User

He is def still a stud that i will agree with you 100%.I didnt think he would make the pro bowl but i was optimistic lol.You guys had a ton of Pro Bowlers congrats,oh and btw Aldon Smith is a complete BEAST.That kid knows how to get to the Qb.I remember on draft day when you guys picked him i was like huh really this high,he was a projected mid-late 1st round and you guys might of reached a little to get him.But i know i see the logic he was worth it a complete monster.