RamWraith is offline Registered User

Notebook: Jackson Hurts Thigh, Could Miss Next Game

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    10/20/2008

The Rams' startling 34-14 victory Sunday over Dallas came at a cost. Running back Steven Jackson left midway through the fourth quarter with a thigh injury that leaves his status uncertain for this coming week's game at New England.

"We think it's just a bruise," Jackson said afterward. "We're going to get some more tests, an MRI in the morning, just to make sure. But it's just a little tight. I'm able to walk, and I'm able to bend it. So that's a good sign."

But Jackson was walking with a limp after the game, and there was some concern in the locker room that the injury could sideline Jackson for a week or two.

The Rams are about as thin as can be at running back, with Brian Leonard out for the season with a shoulder injury and Antonio Pittman missing his third straight game Sunday with a broken leg. Pittman did practice on Wednesday and Friday last week, but it might be a stretch to have him play against the Patriots, particularly if he has to carry the load in the backfield.

Travis Minor finished out the Cowboys game once Jackson left. There's also Kenneth Darby, who was signed last Tuesday off Atlanta's practice squad. Darby played on special teams Sunday but did not play from scrimmage.

Coach Jim Haslett said he had planned to take Jackson out of the game "on the next play" before the injury.

CARRIKER, STANLEY ARE ALSO INJURED

Defensive tackle Adam Carriker, the Rams' first-round draft pick in 2007, left with a sprained right ankle with 9 minutes to go in the first half and did not return. X-rays were negative. Carriker, who has been playing well of late, said it was a low ankle sprain and didn't think it was too serious.

"He tried to come back," Haslett said. "Second half, we just held him out."

Rookie wide receiver Derek Stanley suffered what appeared to be a concussion on a third quarter collision with Dallas defensive back Keith Davis. Stanley was running down the field on punt coverage when struck from the side by Davis. Stanley was hospitalized after the game for observation.

"I think he'll be OK," Haslett said. "He took a wicked helmet-to-helmet hit."

Tight end Anthony Becht was poked in the eye in the fourth quarter but returned to the game.

PACE SITS

Left tackle Orlando Pace missed his first game of this season, getting placed on the pre-game inactive list because of a slight tear in his quad muscle. Joining Pace on the sidelines were veteran receivers Drew Bennett (broken foot), Dane Looker and Eddie Kennison.

Besides those players and Pittman, the rest of the Rams' inactive list consisted of cornerback Tye Hill (knee) and guard Roy Schuening.

RAM-BLINGS

Sunday's victory was the first at home for a St. Louis professional football team against Dallas since 1987, when Gene Stallings' Cardinals defeated Tom Landry's Cowboys 24-13 at Busch Stadium.

Jackson's three touchdowns matched his career high, set previously in the 2006 season finale against Minnesota.

DeMarcus Ware's three sacks Sunday allowed the Dallas linebacker to tie an NFL record with at least one sack in 10 consecutive games.

Rams rookie wide receiver Keenan Burton caught his first NFL pass Sunday, a 4-yard reception in the fourth quarter.

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

Re: Notebook: Jackson Hurts Thigh, Could Miss Next Game

That sounds better than expected on Jackson. The Rams really need him in there if they want to beat the Patriots.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

No Orlando Pace and we still won!! That's huge.

eldfan is offline Registered User

Im keeping hope alive that he will be ok.
    :ramlogo:

itsguud is offline Registered User

Hope he is alright. We might want to invest in a solid backup for him this offseason as he is fairly injury prone. But he is the team!

Mooselini is offline Registered User

He should be okay. Well, thats the attitude I'm going to hold. He's a tough guy. He's the best player on our team and we need him out there.

Carriker also hurts us also. He's such a good player. I was upset when I saw him go down. Our defense has been playing so good lately, losing any of these guys will hurt us.

I'm all for finding Pace's replacement next year anyways. Honestly, we did great with out him....I didn't notice a difference. Bulger still got sacked any how...

Keenum is offline Registered User

From the way it sounds, I think he'll be OK. I had the same thing happen to me a few years ago I got a helment right in my hip/thigh area, and it hurt pretty bad to walk. The next day of course I was sore, big time, but within 2 or 3 days it wasn't bad at all. It was just a big bruise on it.
    Minor and Darby need to be ready just in case.

its a bruise today ...... these things always seem to get worse

Milan is offline Registered User

Haslett said he should be good to go for the Patriots but will be limited in practice this week. It's a slight strain.

eldfan is offline Registered User

I hope that is correct he is the engine that drives the ship.
    :ramlogo: