Cool Notebook: St. Clair eager for shot at Rams

Notebook: St. Clair eager for shot at Rams

By GREG A. BEDARD

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Friday, October 22, 2004

DAVIE Dolphins right tackle John St. Clair doesn't have a completely healthy right ankle, but he's doing everything he can to be in the lineup against the Rams on Sunday.

St. Clair spent his first four seasons with the Rams, who made virtually no effort to re-sign him when he became an unrestricted free agent.

"When you get an opportunity like I did this year, I want to prove to everybody that I'm a good player," St. Clair said. "Playing against your old team, I want to be out there."

St. Clair missed the past two games because of the ankle he sprained against the Jets. He is listed as questionable on the team's injury report but practiced Wednesday.

Rookie Vernon Carey has started in place of St. Clair; however, coach Dave Wannstedt said the veteran would be back in the lineup if he continues to practice.

St. Clair's tour with the Rams was tumultuous at best. All 16 of his appearances as a Ram were starts in 2002. And during his time in St. Louis, the coaches shuffled him among all five line positions and tight end.

"It was an awkward situation playing different positions like that," St. Clair said. "But at the same time they helped me mentally and physically to do what I'm doing now.

"I learned a lot. It's one of the hardest offenses in the NFL, man, and playing all the positions helped me out, especially in free agency."

St. Clair said he's still close with several Rams, including left tackle Orlando Pace and defensive end Tyoka Jackson.

"But I'm on the Dolphins now so I want to win this weekend," St. Clair said. "We need a win."

Injury report: Free safety Antuan Edwards (groin) did not practice and is doubtful. Wannstedt said Arturo Freeman is "ready to go" if Edwards doesn't improve.

Edwards and Freeman had the most intense position battle during training camp. When Edwards was named the starter, Freeman made no secret of his disappointment and that he would welcome a trade.

Edwards registered a season-high 10 tackles against Buffalo and had an interception overturned because of a penalty. But Edwards, who was stiff-armed by Bills running back Willis McGahee on a fourth-quarter run, has admitted he needs to play better.

Running back Travis Minor, who practiced, is questionable with a high ankle sprain. Defensive tackle Tim Bowens (back) is probable after seeing his first action Sunday. Matt Bryant will kick again in place of Olindo Mare (calf).

Noteworthy: The Dolphins terminated the contract of defensive end Chidi Ahanotu and signed defensive tackle Josh Shaw to the practice squad. Ahanotu, who was also fined by the team, refused to report on Oct. 13 because he felt he wasn't getting enough playing time. "When Chidi walked out, we viewed that as a decision made in bad faith and we found that action unacceptable," General Manager Rick Spielman said in a statement. "It is wrong for someone to just walk away from a team without any consequences and the action we took reflects that viewpoint." . . . The Dolphins would only say there are tickets still available for Sunday's game. The game must be sold out before 1 p.m. today in order for the game to be shown locally. There are definitely plenty of seats left for the Nov. 7 game against the Cardinals and the Dec. 26 matchup with the Browns. The Dolphins are offering a "4 for $154 family package" that includes four tickets to either game, four Cokes, four hot dogs and a Gameday magazine. . . . Receiver Derrius Thompson, on catching his first touchdown pass in 22 games with the Dolphins: "Anything that happens this year for me is long overdue."

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Notebook: St. Clair eager for shot at Rams

Man, I hope St. Clair gets to play. I can't wait to see him against Leonard Little.
    Free safety Antuan Edwards (groin) did not practice and is doubtful. Wannstedt said Arturo Freeman is "ready to go" if Edwards doesn't improve.

Edwards and Freeman had the most intense position battle during training camp. When Edwards was named the starter, Freeman made no secret of his disappointment and that he would welcome a trade.
    If I were the Rams, I'd watch out for this guy. He probably should've started in the first place, and he'll come in fired up. He's the darkhorse in their secondary.

Yodude is offline Registered User

St. Clair eager for shot at Rams
    Careful what you wish for, Mr. St. Clair!
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

DenisSerbia is offline Registered User

Even in Serbia we know who St.Clair was. I mean who he is and that's so good!

viper is online now Registered User

Yo DenisSerbia, welcome to the ClanRam! I'm trying to figure out from your post if you are a St. Clair fan or if you are saying that he may not be so good. Please advise. Personally, I thought he was a weakness when he played for us.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I thought he was below average as a tackle, but I would have liked to see what he could have done as a center or guard. After all, he was an All American at center in college.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    I thought he was below average as a tackle, but I would have liked to see what he could have done as a center or guard. After all, he was an All American at center in college.
    Nick:
    I totally agree with you on this. It has bothered me that a former All American would not at least be given an opportunity to play the position he was accustomed to. And with McCollum getting up in years it is apparent that the Rams will have to search for a new center sooner than later. Might that player had been St.Clair? We'll never know.

P.S. On the picture that appears with your posts Martz is being hugged by a Ram; but the only number I can see is #6. Who is this guy? Inquiring minds want to know!!!

WHAT SAY YE?

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Defensive end Erik Flowers, #96.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RealRam is offline Registered User

That's correct, Nick: DE Flowers is under that jubilant helmet.

Careful what you wish for, Mr. St. Clair! -- Yodude