Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Nothing in that game really matters except ...

The fact that the ATTITUDE is different. Just look back to last year against the Titans. We got pushed around in the scrimmages before last season's preseason opener, we got pushed around in the game, and then we got pushed around all season ...

Look at the preseason game last night. The guys were pumped up. They were on the road and they busted tail every second of the game. Sure, I saw plenty of mistakes out there. There were some problems with RB's picking up blitzed, there were some problems with DB's not getting their heads turned around, but for the most part, I thought we did a solid job across the board ...

Definitely has the makings of what looks like it will be a very competitive team. As for the aforementioned mistakes, I am absolutely certain that this coaching staff will place extra attention on correcting those things, and being certain that we improve in areas of weakness. That is the difference between this regime and the last ....

A few tweaks here and there, and we'll be in nice shape. I don't understand what everybody is worried about. There is a three page thread about Bulger and negative things about him from last night. How about the deep ball to Robinson, from the QB that everyone says could not throw the deep ball?

Dynamically, this team is so different from last year, it's not even funny. We have tons of young talent, talent that will need to mature before it is ready to handle the prime time stage, but there were so many things that looked so much different last night ...

One simple play that stands out was a Jet's swing pass, in which Chris Long badly whiffed the tackle and looked like a sure first down, until Tye Hill popped up to make the open field tackle. These were the types of plays we didn't make last year. And the coaching staff will not have those types of players on this squad. So, say goodbye David Roach ...

Looked nice across the board to me. People getting upset about Bulger when the problems were clearly RB blitz pickup, and claiming ROOKIES can't cover? Yes, J. King is pretty much a rookie. Give me a break ...

It's preseason week 1 and we are magntitudes ahead of where we were last year at this time ...

Can't wait for week 2!

bigredman is offline Registered User

Re: Nothing in that game really matters except ...

I agree with my endless one...perspective is needed when evaluating this performance. Given a new coaching staff, new playbook, new schemes, and the fact its a preseason game in which plays are being called so players can be evaluated as opposed to purely trying to win the game, I would hold off on judgment until we have an opportunity to see how they progress through the rest of the year.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

OldSchoolRamFan is offline Registered User

Thank you for that RamsInfiniti. So many people read into so many of the wrong things for an opening preseason game, both bad and good. I saw good things as well as bad, but I was also entertained and saw a score that left the Rams on top and that was something that I had not seen in a while. I have full confidence that the coaching staff will make the right judgments of talent evaluation and our squad will continue to make improvements that will ultimately translate into a highly competitive and productive unit (albeit not necessarily this year).
    Steve

What you see is what you get, but what you see depends on where you stand.

I mean, I've seen people on the board exclaim that King and Fletcher "cannot cover" because of what they saw last night ...

Every defensive back in the league gets burned from time to time. The theory of defensive backs could be another post all in it's own that I might even post, but to make a statement like that is just ignorant of football knowledge ...

I saw a bunch of guys running around having fun, looking like a football TEAM. It was a pleasure to watch, something we haven't seen in years ...

You tell me Mr. Little isn't ready for the season, and poised to prove himself again!

ManofGod is offline Registered User

I agree, guy last night is it just me or did we look focused and "dialed in" to what was going on. Did you see how fast we as an entire 11-man defense snuffed out that screen pass and blew it up? And to count the 1st team defense only had one long play which was the reverse that Long did not keep contain on, other than that we looked much more improved. Now we did get down after that play, but we pulled it together and our new MLB was all over the place(which is an answe to many prayers).

Special teams wise, we actually had some get up and go and the coverage was great! When was the last time we could say that?

general counsel is offline Registered User

Guys, before anyone gets too excited about not getting pushed around much last night, i note that with the exception of Leonard's sack (against a backup) and the one 4th quarter rush, we had no pass rush all night, especially from the starters. Furthermore, and more importantly, the Jets were missing FOUR starting offensive linemen. Thus, lets not overeact and get too excited about anything we saw. Long played against dbrickashaw ferguson and did absolutely nothing. If the jets put their starting o line in the game, maybe we get run all over like we did vs. the titans last year and maybe we dont., but lets not get hyped up on what we saw out of the first team defense because they didnt look that great and they did it vs. backups.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

The best answer to the title of the thread is the following

NO ONE GOT REALLY HURT

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    The best answer to the title of the thread is the following

NO ONE GOT REALLY HURT

ramming speed to all

general counsel

No, the answer to the title is just fine, I'm sorry you couldn't see it ...

If you watched the game and could not clearly see the difference between this team and the team we fielded in preseason last year, you are either blind, blinded, or an eternal pessimist ...

The perfomance was light years different than the one last year against the Titans. There was energy, there was organization, there was focus, I don't care who they were playing against. Everybody seemed to be on the same page, particularly noticable in the front four, which consistently collapsed the middle, no matter who was in there ....

The effort was there across the board, people were flying to the ball, even after the ball was complete. These are things that you need to see no matter who is in the game, no matter who they are competing against. And those things, the effort things, the heart things, they were there all night long. This hasn't been a part of this Ram's franchise in many years ...

As for the offense and defense, I think you saw two different strategies coming into this game. Offensively, Shurmur tried a few things you might not see very often in the regular season. He used shotgun quite a bit, some four receiver threats, tried to throw the ball deep vertically on a few occasions. If not for the breakdown in pass protection by the RB's, you probably would have seen Bulger throw two more deep balls. They were experimenting a little bit ...

On the defensive side, you saw a very vanilla scheme. They rushed four people pretty much the entire game. They didn't dial up much of anything in terms of blitzes by the back seven. The schemes were vanilla, there wasn't a bunch of movement, and I fully expect that to change. We got pressure on the QB a few times just from the front four, including the sack by Little and a bull rush by Gibson that almost created a sack. Do you expect them to show everything against Jet's backups on week 2 of the preseason ..

I could go on and on about positive and negatives in terms of execution, but doesn't matter. The effort meant alot to me ....

We can debate all we want about effort, attitude and the importance of the level of competition and how it relates to your perception, but if you think any of that is more important than getting through preseason healthy, than i disagree 100%. As a simple example, they can play as hard as they want as a team, but if bulger and jackson and/or key players on our already suspect offensive line get hurt badly, this team will be lucky to win three games.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

I think GC's got a good point about the Jets O-line missing A LOT of quality players. I think we could all see last year what missing most of the starters on our O-line did for us - there is no reason to think the Jets line isn't as important to them as ours is to our offense.

I also agree with Infiniti though that we seemed to have a better attitude and a little more fight in us than anything we've seen recently.

The main things I take away from this game:

- Our pass-blocking (ok, you can say it was more due to the RB's this time, but still) is still suspect, Marc had what 4 completions with 3 sacks. Not exactly numbers that fill you with confidence.

- We didn't have much pass-rush against a VERY depleted Jets O-line.

- We only gave up 102 yards on the ground, a far cry from last year's hellish numbers.

Ventesette is offline Registered User

Guys, before anyone gets too excited about not getting pushed around much last night, i note that with the exception of Leonard's sack (against a backup) and the one 4th quarter rush, we had no pass rush all night, especially from the starters. Furthermore, and more importantly, the Jets were missing FOUR starting offensive linemen. Thus, lets not overeact and get too excited about anything we saw. Long played against dbrickashaw ferguson and did absolutely nothing. If the jets put their starting o line in the game, maybe we get run all over like we did vs. the titans last year and maybe we dont., but lets not get hyped up on what we saw out of the first team defense because they didnt look that great and they did it vs. backups.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    The Jets were only missing three starters: C Mangold, LG, Faneca and RT Woody. They are probably the three best run blockers though. RG Moore and LT D'Brick start. Hard to take too much from the game.

Same on O. Rams had trouble with the blitz, but were the Jets using too many "mid-season" blitz packages? They did send DBs a ton - one sack was by a DB, Leonhard caused Bulger to step up on Pace's sack and Rhodes came a bunch of times, including on Harris' sack I believe. With Rex that is probably what they will be doing from the first scrimmage until they pry the playbook from his hand.

The coverage looked pretty good, except the blown coverage on Clowney's TD late. Trouble is the Jets WR group is pretty much bottom of the barrel and Keller was killing the Rams until they pulled him.

I know the Rams punter is great, but does he kick one of those fumble balls like the Australian dude? There were a ton of fumbles and muffed punts, but they weren't by the Jets 1st (Leonhard) or 2nd string (Leon Washington) return men.
    Last edited by Ventesette; -08-15-2009 at 04:11 PM.

Thanks for the correction on the missing offensive lineman. I thought the announcer said four, but if you thought it was three i certainly defer to you. The point remains substantially the same however.

I also concede that we didnt use any midseason blitz packages and played a vanilla defense. Again, point is still the same.

I agree with Infiniti, its nice to see the team play with fire. However, from my experience, there are times when people confuse results with effort and my main point is simply that the rams are not talented enough by a longshot to be competitive if they are not very healthy and that results from last night are misleading if you want to draw conclusions about effectiveness of the defense since the Jets were missing several key guys on the oline.

The rams are playing for a new head coach. In the history of the nfl, i defy you to find me a team that doesnt come out and play hard off the bat for the new coach. I am not saying it isnt a good thing, only pointing out that its a minimum expectation, rather than anything to get too excited about.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Ventesette is offline Registered User

Thanks for the correction on the missing offensive lineman. I thought the announcer said four, but if you thought it was three i certainly defer to you. The point remains substantially the same however.

I also concede that we didnt use any midseason blitz packages and played a vanilla defense. Again, point is still the same.

I agree with Infiniti, its nice to see the team play with fire. However, from my experience, there are times when people confuse results with effort and my main point is simply that the rams are not talented enough by a longshot to be competitive if they are not very healthy and that results from last night are misleading if you want to draw conclusions about effectiveness of the defense since the Jets were missing several key guys on the oline.

The rams are playing for a new head coach. In the history of the nfl, i defy you to find me a team that doesnt come out and play hard off the bat for the new coach. I am not saying it isnt a good thing, only pointing out that its a minimum expectation, rather than anything to get too excited about.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    I don't doubt Buttle said four. He's not the brightest bulb, but he was a good LB.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

I can see both points here. There were some bright spots, and some not-so-bright spots. But I'm not so sure there was anymore "fire" and "focus" than the preseason opener last year. I think most of that is because that's what most of us want to see, so the perception is that it was there. Well, it was there, but was it really any better than at this time last year? I don't think so. Maybe it's because some of us remember what we saw the final three or four games of the season last year when the Rams were beaten and finished.

It was the first game of the season (albeit preseason) for some of the players, and many of them are fired up just because of that. The Jets were pretty fired up as well from what I saw. Hell, I would expect that when many of them are playing for a job. They'd better be.

While it's true that winning a practice game is NOT important, it is important that some of the guys that missed assignment DO learn from the experience. Particularly the blitz pickup. My gawd it was horrific. How can Jackson and the other rb's not see those blitzes coming? I can see a rook making those mistakes, but Jackson? He had better learn to block and pickup blitzes or Bulger is going to get killed. And speaking of blitzes and pressure. Outside of Little, it appears the Rams still have no one on the front line that can get to the QB. That's a problem area that I worried about and voiced previously, and I've seen nothing that makes me believe it's been fixed.

What also matter from that game is that the Rams defense stuffed the running game, and even though the game meant nothing, they do tend to give a hint as to a teams weaknesses and strengths. Last year we gave up big yards on the ground, and many said, "don't worry, it's only preseason". But guess what? It was a glimpse of things to come. If the effort provided by the run D last night was a glimpse of things to come, I'm one happy camper. They were solid.

But make no mistake, getting out of a preseason game with no major dings is a HUGE deal. This team is young and thin in talent. IF they are to improve and perhaps contend for a playoff spot, the Rams cannot afford to lose anybody. So, getting out of a practice game healthy really does matter as well.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    But I'm not so sure there was anymore "fire" and "focus" than the preseason opener last year. I think most of that is because that's what most of us want to see, so the perception is that it was there. Well, it was there, but was it really any better than at this time last year? I don't think so.
    Personally I'm basing some of that on the way we played against the run. As I remember it we got run over and through to the tune of 300-something yards last year with missed assignments, weak failed attempts at tackling and generally soft, weak play from the whole defense. I think that may be what some people refer to when they say we played with more fire and focus this year, I know that's the case for me personally at least.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast