throwback week

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Now Bradford needs to do it again

Now Bradford needs to do it again
    BY BILL COATS • Posted: Wednesday, September 1, 2010 12:20 am

Sam Bradford has cleared several hurdles since the Rams made him the No. 1 overall draft pick back in April.

"It seems like just yesterday we were out here for rookie minicamp," said the quarterback from Oklahoma. "Now we're through that, we're through (organized team activities), we're through preseason practice, have one more preseason game, and then the regular season's here.

"It's really blown by."

Bradford toppled another barrier last week at New England. After two so-so preseason outings, Bradford erupted vs. the Patriots, connecting on 15 of 22 passes for 189 yards and two touchdowns in the first half of the Rams' 36-35 victory.

"The first two games ... I felt like I was in the right place with the ball, (but) struggled to get completions at times," Bradford said. "To have a game like I did last week definitely helped. It seemed like things finally started to slow down a little bit, and I felt really good out there. ...

"I had a couple of guys come up to me and say just a couple of things about how I handled this situation, the way I acted in the huddle, the way I carried myself on the field. And they were all positive. ... Any time I hear things like that from vets, it's really encouraging."

The next challenge comes Thursday night, when the Baltimore Ravens come to town. Bradford's task? Do it all over again.

"Put back-to-back good games together," coach Steve Spagnuolo said. "I think we all agree he had a pretty good game last week, but in the NFL you've got to do it week in, week out. So we'll be looking for him to pick right up where he left off last Thursday."

Bradford stressed that he expects nothing less in his first start in front of a home crowd.

"The first start in St. Louis, obviously it's exciting," he said. "But going into this game, it's no different. I want to do the same thing. When I'm out there with this offense, I want to do everything I can to get the ball in the end zone and help this team win."

Spagnuolo has brought Bradford along slowly and still hasn't committed to him as his starting quarterback. But since A.J. Feeley suffered thumb and elbow injuries Aug. 21 at Cleveland, Bradford has taken nearly every snap in practice with the first-team offense, a move that Bradford said has accelerated his development.

"Being in there with those guys, just being in the huddle with them more, being on the field, getting reps with the same guys, the receivers, it just helps," Bradford said. "I'm really kind of starting to jell a little bit with those guys. Any time I can get more reps, it just makes me feel more comfortable with those guys."

trautwein moved

The Rams reached the 75-man roster limit by designating tackle Phil Trautwein as waived/injured. Trautwein suffered a torn ligament in his knee last week in practice and is facing six to eight weeks of recovery time. He could return to the active roster later in the season.

Trautwein, 6 feet 6 and 308 pounds, was an undrafted rookie out of Florida in 2009 who appeared in four games with the Rams.

RAM-BLINGS

Tight end Daniel Fells (knee), guard John Greco (chest), defensive end George Selvie (leg) and linebacker David Vobora (hamstring) got increased work at practice Tuesday. But wide receiver Keenan Burton left early with swelling in his knee. ... The Ravens are 3-0 in the preseason, with wins over Carolina 17-12, Washington 23-3 and the New York Giants 24-10.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Now Bradford needs to do it again

I've read about as much as I can take concerning A J Feeley. Bradford starts from here on in, period!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    I've read about as much as I can take concerning A J Feeley. Bradford starts from here on in, period!
    You just know that Spags is looking for a reason to start Bradford when the season begins, and Feeley's "minor" injury might not be enough. Another game like he had against New England, facing a tough Ravens defense and Spags will have his reason. The Rams can "play it safe" with Feeley's injury, then name Bradford the starter.

Can't wait to see if Bradford can rise to the challenge. I'm betting he will.

theodus69 Guest

well it will be a good test I bet. This is a better D , if they all play!