Results 1 to 6 of 6
Thread: Now That I've Cooled Off...
-10-30-2001 #1djccon Guest
Now That I've Cooled Off...
The results of the game with the 'Aints are inexcusable and unacceptable. That means I am inconsolable. There cannot be any consolation from this game, nor do I see any positives coming from it. However, here are some observations that I have come away with now that I've had some time to cool off and think objectively:
1) I am FED UP with hearing regularly about the "ball maintenance" drills these guys run every DAY in practice, only to watch them cough it up week after week. Obviously it isn't working - so, Mr. Martz, FIND SOMETHING THAT DOES!
2) I never cared for Bobby April when he was in Pittsburgh. I liked him less in Atlanta, even less in New Orleans, and I am convinced he must have pictures of someone naked with a hooker to be able to stay in the NFL. Who deemed this guy a guru? Every week we can count on opponents starting at least 2 possessions outside their own 35 after kickoffs. You can look it up.
3) Was it just me, or did Canidate seem totally exhausted by half time? I thought Martz said he planned to rotate backs a little more. I think being tired contributed greatly to his struggles. As tired as he looked, I just KNEW it was only a matter of time before he put it on the carpet.
4) The dropped passes are unforgiveable. When you get that much $, catch the dang ball, ESPECIALLY when you're trying to keep control and move the chains.
5) 1st and 10 near midfield, up 24-6, and a fumble. The defense holds on 4 straight downs, again near midfield, and an INT. Control the @#$% ball, and put the game away ASAP! Blowing a 24 point lead at HOME is unforgiveable.
6) I don't care what those two-toothed, cousin-marrying morons in Louisiana say, all the 'aints proved Sunday is they need 8 turnovers to beat us. Had they gotten only 7, they'd STILL have lost. How does that sit with you 'aint fans - knowing you only got 1 or 2 "takeaways" - you know @#$% well those were "giveaways" (i.e., you didn't TAKE, we GAVE)?
7) This game convinced me of one thing - the only team good enough to beat the Rams, is the Rams. There is no consolation in this, neither do I consider it a positive since they were SO @#$% willing to do just that.
Out for now. Peace!
First of all, love your enthusiasm. We as Rams fans have to be rabid when it is time to be. However, we tend to be spoiled lately, so don't be so harsh as to the inexcusable and unacceptable behavior of the Rams in the second half of this game. If they are going to have a brain fart, better now than later. Every team we have played so far this year (except for maybe the Dolphins) have given us their best shot. That was the best game the Saints have played all year. When we went up 24-6, you could sense it that we were becoming lazy in our offensive effort. I have never played the game, but I am sure it is tough to stay at the "MaxQ" level every game. We just got beat. Ok. Guess what? We are still 6-1. Still in first in the division, and still have home field advantage capabilities for the playoffs. This loss was coming, and more will come I am sure. However, playoffs are around the corner. Get ready for real this time. Don't back in on a 54 yrd Bears FG.
-10-31-2001 #3AJD45 Guest
great post djccon
Excellent observations, thanks djccon!
As fan(atic)s we all love Martz, but it is definitely okay to question what's going on, too. Agreed that the only team that can beat the Rams is the Rams, and it's because they lack discipline.
Stupid penalties, not taking care of the ball well enough & bad special teams is a direct reflection on the coaching. Your comment re Bobby April was outstanding! He's proven himself overrated thus far. The only thing positive I've seen resulting from April's hiring is that Hakim isn't coughing up punts (although I saw Hakim in the Saints game looking at the coverage instead of the ball again during a fair catch, so I tend to think we've actually been lucky in this department). The kickoff coverage is ABSOLUTELY PATHETIC. Might as well do an onsides kick every friggin' time.
The Rams' great talent has an element of a trade-off in that along with that talent is some lack of discipline. But Martz shouldn't be cavalier about it. It would be a waste of all that great talent if our lack of discipline keeps us from another Super Bowl, and he should be preaching that to the guys.
Yes, peace Djccon. You've made good and true observations.
Your frustration is justified and well understood (honest). But I suspect the St. Louis Rams will soon change all that; they WILL get their act together yet! We're with you, hang in there! And...
-11-05-2001 #5MsWistRAM Guest
Stayed away from the forum a couple of days to deal with my frustrations. You helped me revent them, djccon, thankyou. I feel better. Can we all put this one behind us and look forward to a Super Bowl run? I am.
-11-05-2001 #6DJRamFan Guest
excellent observations djccon, but we're not even half way yet, give it a couple weeks:mask: