Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By NJ Ramsfan1
  • 1 Post By MACD

Thread: Now that Jackson is out the door, will Sam step up?

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Now that Jackson is out the door, will Sam step up?

Jacksons career with the Rams, like all good things, had to come to an end. Without Jackson, there's a pretty good size hole in the offense, and I'm not talking about the running back position.

Jackson was the obvious leader of the offense, and really the team as a whole. I don't think theres any doubt who needs to take over leadership. Our quarterback. Sams been known to be somewhat of a quiet leader. Can he step up and put guys in their place, when it was necessary, like Jackson did so well? I hope he realizes he is the sole leader of this offense, and doesn't accept anything less than perfection from his other ten guys. I know he can physically lead the team to a victory, but can he be that mental stability when things go wrong? Can he be that guy to look to like Jackson was for so many years? Only time will tell.

Wow, this next year is going to be....interesting.

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

Re: Now that Jackson is out the door, will Sam step up?

Safety blankets gone. Time to move forward.
    "I've been saving the Universe for over a thousand years. I figure it owes me just this once."

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

This is now unquestionably Sam's team. And he has to step up and continue getting better, building on last year's success while inspiring confidence in the young skill players he'll be surrounded with. We've banked our future on his ability to do so. I don't think there's any question he'll answer the challenge, and any failures he has won't be from a lack of effort or hard work. I'm very confident of that.
    Rambos, Varg6 and THOLTFAN81 like this.

RuffRams is offline Registered User

Yeah, not only does he have to step up as our QB, he has to step up as our team leader

TorontoRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    Jacksons career with the Rams, like all good things, had to come to an end. Without Jackson, there's a pretty good size hole in the offense, and I'm not talking about the running back position.
    Jackson was the obvious leader of the offense, and really the team as a whole. I don't think theres any doubt who needs to take over leadership. Our quarterback. Sams been known to be somewhat of a quiet leader. Can he step up and put guys in their place, when it was necessary, like Jackson did so well? I hope he realizes he is the sole leader of this offense, and doesn't accept anything less than perfection from his other ten guys. I know he can physically lead the team to a victory, but can he be that mental stability when things go wrong? Can he be that guy to look to like Jackson was for so many years? Only time will tell.
    Wow, this next year is going to be....interesting.
    You're point about Bradford taking an active, as opposed to quiet, leadership role is well taken. Although I've never been able to figure out how a quiet leader leads in a sport such as football, and it seems to me that the successful QBs in the NFL are The leaders of their teams (e.g. Kurt Warner, Tom Brady, Russell Wilson, Colin Kaepernick, Brett Favre, the Mannings). So, it seems that you're saying that Sam Bradford has to put on his big-boy pants and become the leader of the Rams. I agree.

MACD is offline Registered User

Is Flacco such a monumental leader over at Baltimore? Manning at New York? A lot of mouthing by people who never played the game at a high level...

RuffRams is offline Registered User

Well.. the Ravens leader was Ray Lewis and 1b.) Ed Reed. Even when flacco was drafted, ray was still the leader. Peyton had such an illustrious career as a leader that he picked it up instantly at Denver.

For over half a decade.. Steven Jackson was our team leader. Now that he is out, we need someone to step up, and Bradford is ideal. It doesnt have tp be our qb, but i dont see long or laurinitis in that role. So, yes, for a young team, it has to be Bradford. Don't understand why that's questionable.

Sorry for any spelling/grammar mistakes.. hate typing on my phone.
    Last edited by RuffRams; -03-16-2013 at 09:55 AM.

FolsomFan is offline Registered User

He has the ability to step it up, but does he have the weapons?

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by FolsomFan View Post
    He has the ability to step it up, but does he have the weapons?
    Ask me after the draft.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Chris Givens, Lance Kendricks, Austin Pettis, Brian Quick, Pead, Daryl Richardson and Sam Bradford will be starting their 2nd year in the SAME offense. Whether or not we land a veteran wide receiver in FA or not, there should be improvement. I think it is safe to say that you'll see a more vociferous Sam this year. Jackson is gone, and Sam is The Guy now. From what I've seen of him so far, he is obviously very competitive even if he hasn't been particularly loud in the past. I doubt he will tolerate lame mistakes i.e. false starts, wrong routes etc., drive killing mistakes this year. Steven Jackson is gone and it truly is Sam's team now. Sam wants to win - I believe he'll take the bull by the horns this year - so yes, I believe he will step up big time!

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Chris Givens, Lance Kendricks, Austin Pettis, Brian Quick, Pead, Daryl Richardson and Sam Bradford will be starting their 2nd year in the SAME offense.
    If this was some sort of attempt at proving how scary our offense is, you miserably failed. We're going to need a lot of help through the draft to pick this offense up.

THE DREAM TEAM

rayzorram is offline Registered User

Unfortunately from what i've read it looks like the Rams are looking at taking Jonathon Cooper then maybe Kenny Vaccaro if they are still there in the first round. i don't see how taking Cooper greatly improves getting this offense to compete at the level the xxxxxxxners and she-hawks are at.

MACD is offline Registered User

Sam's very smart. Possibly he has deferred to Jackson in the past. I can't see anyone he would have to defer to now in experience. It will be interesting to see the new team dynamic. It's worth noting that Chris Long, a defensive guy, is good friends with Sam off field. Maybe that's a clue to the respect Sam is given team-wide.
    MauiRam likes this.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    If this was some sort of attempt at proving how scary our offense is, you miserably failed. We're going to need a lot of help through the draft to pick this offense up.
    I'm not sure how you arrived at the conclusion I was talking about our offense being scary. Miserably? Hmmn. Rather, I was pointing out that we should be improved on offense given our youth and the advantage of being in the same system for the 2nd straight year instead of having to learn a new one again like we've had to for the last 3 years.

I fully expect Sam to progress, and I believe he will step up as he is a veteran now compared to the guys I named off. I believe Bradford won't hesitate to assume the mantle of leadership for our team, and that would absolutely include holding guys accountable when required.