Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: And now for something completely different...

live4ramin is offline Registered User

And now for something completely different...

With all the DC hub-bub, there were a couple of mentions tossed out mentioning Spags.

Is it beyond possible Jeff might bring him back in to be his DC?

We've all noted his reputation as a coordinator and his subsequent failure as a head coach. He certainly has good clay to work with. I'm thinking he'll just be the dude with the whistle and the playchart anyway.

Would the orginization have him back? Would you; or is it just bad politics?

That's the sound of hype and self promotion. Get ready.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Re: And now for something completely different...

Bad politics and ego issues would be my answer. I must ask why he was fired in NO. I had read that players in NO were unhappy with his "my way or the highway" attitude. Now I realize coaches must establish control, but there's a way to do that without alienating people and Spags may need to work on his people skills. I supported him while he was our coach and thought he could do what Fisher has done, but if he so good, why was there a sigh of relief last year around this time when Fisher was first announced. Something doesn't sit right with me about Spags. I do wish him well and hopes he finds another gig shortly. I'm just sure that it will be with another team.

Go Rams!

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Doesn't fit here what so ever. He likes big CB's that play press man.. Last year for multiple games Janoris played 10 yards off WR's. Unless Fisher is willing to let Spags come in here and bring in about 5 starters of his own, aint gonna happen.

THE DREAM TEAM

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Spags is is that type of person who needs players that match his schemes to succeed. I prefer we hire the types of coaches who'll adjust to the players' strengths rather than force their schemes upon the players.

bradwill is offline Registered User

Hell no. I think most of his success in NY was more due to Tom Coughlin than Spags himself. NO had a real mess on their hands, but why scrape the bottom of the barrel with someone who did a horrendous job as HC as a DC on your same franchise?

One day NFL owners(and GM's in some cases) will stop anointing coordinators that have one year of somewhat success like Shurmur-after having the worst offense in the history of the NFL the year prior- or someone like Spags who was a 2 yr DC as the next coaching god. Until then, they'll keep burning through the flavor of the month coordinators and starting all over again 2-3 years later in shambles.

I'd rather see Rob Ryan as a DC than Spags and I really was against Ryan.
    UK Ramfan 83 likes this.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Breaking News: Rams hire Steve Spagnuolo.

10 minutes later.... Report: Janoris Jenkins in DC Spags' Doghouse.

Been there done that. This guy just coached one of the worst Defenses in NFL history...Time to MOVE ON from Spags.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by live4ramin View Post
    Is it beyond possible Jeff might bring him back in to be his DC?
    Yes, it is beyond possible, as in "impossible," that Spags returns as the Rams' DC.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Donkeys have a better chance of flying than Spags has of being brought back as a DC. Number one, it's way too soon to bring a guy back in any capacity after he was canned less than a year ago. Number two, I know of no situation where a team's former head coach was brought back in short order as their DC. And number three, I'm convinced Spags belongs squarely in the "overrated" category as a defensive coordinator. I wouldn't want him. And he did absolutely nothing in new Orleans to change that perception or positively distinguish himself.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Donkeys have a better chance of flying than Spags has of being brought back as a DC. Number one, it's way too soon to bring a guy back in any capacity after he was canned less than a year ago. Number two, I know of no situation where a team's former head coach was brought back in short order as their DC. And number three, I'm convinced Spags belongs squarely in the "overrated" category as a defensive coordinator. I wouldn't want him. And he did absolutely nothing in new Orleans to change that perception or positively distinguish himself.
    When Spags was hired many of us here were excited, he certainly had the benefit of the doubt, as the Giants had a pretty good D, and much of the credit for it went to Spags - rightly or wrongly.

With all the injuries we sustained it seemed he was jinxed from the get go. However as time went on Spags control freak nature and apparent paranoia eroded our trust and some of his players as well. Spags had a great opportunity in N.O., and struck out - again - no way would I welcome him back - been there done that. I don't know how Spags did in N.O. regarding halftime adjustments, but perhaps more than anything else, he was absolutely horrible in that capacity when HC of the Rams .. Bye bye Spags!
    live4ramin likes this.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    I don't know how Spags did in N.O. regarding halftime adjustments, but perhaps more than anything else, he was absolutely horrible in that capacity when HC of the Rams .. Bye bye Spags!
    Obviously head coaches are a precious commodity, otherwise guys like Spags wouldn't get their chances. However with a new administration in place and a defensive free thinker like Fish, anything is probably probable.

At least until I read your response Maui. That's it in a nutshell. Spags had NO halftime answers.

Good post. Thanks.
    That's the sound of hype and self promotion. Get ready.

macrammer is online now Registered User

I think the ****'s should hire him

Yodude is offline Registered User

I must ask why he was fired in NO.
    I think it's obvious. The man has no clue how to set up an effective bounty program. I can't recall the Saints D knocking a single opponent out of a game this year. Clearly a defense full of pussies.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

RuffRams is offline Registered User

I like spags and want him to do well in the league. However, after the rams and saints, he has taken quite a few steps back. I think like lovie, spags should take a year off and come back.

But on the possiblity of him becoming our DC. Because a lot of factors, including schemes and the ex-coach factor, I give it slim to none. With slim being synonymous to none.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

THIS:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast