Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    lakerams Guest

Now That We Know Where The Rams Will DRaft...

who do you think is most likely to be around at the 22nd pick ( or 31st or 32nd if they make it to the superbowl )?

give the draftee you would like them to draft and the draftee you think they will most likely draft.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Now That We Know Where The Rams Will DRaft...

I thought the order of picks 21-32 are determined by the results of the playoffs, depending on how far into the playoffs certain teams go. I don't believe we have the 22nd pick set in stone except in the event of a SB appearance.

Anyways, it depends on who's available and what kind of value we'd get at that position. If the top three or four offensive tackles are off the board by the time we select, and both Ahmad Brooks (if he declares) and Derrick Johnson are gone, I'd say we take the best cornerback available. It's probably too early to take a guard at this point.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

There will still be at least one top-tier OT at our draft spot. This draft is rich with big uglies, and IMHO, we have to select our only 1st round OL since Pace.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    There will still be at least one top-tier OT at our draft spot. This draft is rich with big uglies, and IMHO, we have to select our only 1st round OL since Pace.
    I just read on another site that both Ferguson & Winston plan on returning to school. That depletes the list of top-tier OTs available. I think Barron will be gone, but hopefully Brown or McNeil will fall to us, if we decide to go OT in the 1st.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I think the Rams need to be looking at OT and LB with their first two picks. As to which position to select first - it will depend on the depth of those positions and who is taken before the Rams pick.

Third round (Rams have two picks) I'd look at a G and probably a D back (unless Little is convicted, in which case, a pass rushing DE will have to be considered).

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    I think the Rams need to be looking at OT and LB with their first two picks. As to which position to select first - it will depend on the depth of those positions and who is taken before the Rams pick.

Third round (Rams have two picks) I'd look at a G and probably a D back (unless Little is convicted, in which case, a pass rushing DE will have to be considered).
    I agree with you for most of the way (1. OT, 2. LB, 3. OG, 3. FS), but even if Little is convicted, I say we stick with Fisher & Hargrove. Throw in Tyoka and/or maybe (and that's a big maybe) move D-Lew over and I think we're still okay at DE.

Truth is, I strongly suspect that Little won't be convicted. More likely, they'll be some plea bargain that gets him off the hook with some combination of probation and community service.

Truth is, I strongly suspect that Little won't be convicted. More likely, they'll be some plea bargain that gets him off the hook with some combination of probation and community service.
    I admit that I don't know Missouri sentencing guidelines, but with him being a repeat offender, is there any way (even with a plea bargain) that the judge would have that kind of wiggle room?

Sentencing guidelines only apply to a conviction. A plea bargain would avoid a conviction in exchange for some agreed upon penalty.

While I certainly don't have access to all the facts, from what I have read, there is some question as to whether the State can prove its case. Given that fact, they may want to enter into a plea bargain rather than risking an egg-on-their-face not guilty verdict.

Not to say that Little doesn't deserve to be convicted. For all I know, he may very well deserve just that. But, because the police did not actually obtain a BAC test result, but rather relied on "road sobriety" tests, their case may be a bit shaky.

Sentencing guidelines only apply to a conviction. A plea bargain would avoid a conviction in exchange for some agreed upon penalty.

While I certainly don't have access to all the facts, from what I have read, there is some question as to whether the State can prove its case. Given that fact, they may want to enter into a plea bargain rather than risking an egg-on-their-face not guilty verdict.

Not to say that Little doesn't deserve to be convicted. For all I know, he may very well deserve just that. But, because the police did not actually obtain a BAC test result, but rather relied on "road sobriety" tests, their case may be a bit shaky.
    But a plea bargain is a conviction. He would enter a plea of guilty and be convicted for some lesser charge. I'm sure the State Attorney's office would offer something like you said (probation & comm. service), but wouldn't the judge still have to go by the sentencing guidelines.

Like I said, I don't know, you're the expert.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I just read on another site that both Ferguson & Winston plan on returning to school. That depletes the list of top-tier OTs available. I think Barron will be gone, but hopefully Brown or McNeil will fall to us, if we decide to go OT in the 1st.
    I'm working on my first prelim mock draft, and I don't have McNeill or Brown making it past the Titans and Panthers, who both need offensive tackle help.

Also, add Ahmad Brooks to the list of not declaring this year. Rumor has it his father has said he'll be back in school. Ferguson seems to be setting himself up for the first overall selection in 2006.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

But a plea bargain is a conviction. He would enter a plea of guilty and be convicted for some lesser charge. I'm sure the State Attorney's office would offer something like you said (probation & comm. service), but wouldn't the judge still have to go by the sentencing guidelines.

Like I said, I don't know, you're the expert.
    Yes, a plea bargain is a conviction, but not to the crime Little is currently charged with. He will only be convicted of that charge if he goes to trial and loses. As you said, a plea bargain would be essentially a voluntary conviction to a lesser charge (i.e. reckless driving, but not DUI) - and not to the charge for which the sentencing guidelines you were asking about apply. So, once the State Attorney agrees to a plea to a lesser charge, different sentencing guidelines apply and, most importantly, the recidivist penalties Little now face would presumably no longer be a factor.

Essentially, a plea bargain is a settlement and, as such, there is great flexibility as to the penalty that would be imposed.

Gotcha. Thanks for the explanation. So are you going to send me a bill for 15 minutes or what? :redface:

rampete Guest

i'd really like to see the ram FO go for:

1) carlos rogers CB auburn

or

2) jimmy williams CB/FS virginia tech

watched both play last night in their bowl game,forget the name..., and they were clearly heads and shoulders above the rest in terms of athletic and playmaking talents...

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    I'm working on my first prelim mock draft, and I don't have McNeill or Brown making it past the Titans and Panthers, who both need offensive tackle help.

Also, add Ahmad Brooks to the list of not declaring this year. Rumor has it his father has said he'll be back in school. Ferguson seems to be setting himself up for the first overall selection in 2006.
    With Ferguson & Winston staying in school, Munoz getting hurt, and Justice probably staying in school, pickings got a little slimer for a 1st rounder. For 1st round talent that narrows it down to Barron, McNeil & Brown. If they're all gone when we pick, then wait until the 2nd round for OT and go LB in the 1st. Maybe Burnett will still be around. If not Burnett, then maybe Ruud or Mitchell.

Or maybe we go a different direction all together and go get our FS in the 1st round, like Nicholson or Davis, or a CB, say Webster, Rogers, or Huff.

I'm afraid if one of either McNeil, Brown, Burnett, Nicholson, Davis or Webster are not available, we'll pay 1st round money for 2nd round talent. If none of those guys are here, maybe trade our 1st rounder for the Packers two 2nd rounders. Three 2nd round picks wouldn't be too bad.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast