Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Now That We Know Where The Rams Will DRaft...

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Using your positions AV, here's what I would like to see happen.

1 - LB - Kevin Burnett - a burner that's fits our defense perfectly
    2 - RT - Jon Dunn - Va Tech RT and he's a big one, 6'7" 340 lbs.
    3 - CB - Bryant McFadden - A very physical Florida St. CB to be just 180 lbs.
    3 - OG - Sam Mayes - Huge OG from Okie St., 6'3" 350 lbs, great run blocker
    In the first round, I think Kevin Burnett is the linebacker of choice if Ahmad Brooks doesn't declare, which signs point to that being the scenario. Burnett shows good overall ability, especially in coverage, and is a good leader. I think he's worthy of a late first round pick by the Rams.

In the second round at right tackle, I'd take someone like Jon Scott of Texas or Andrew Whitworth of LSU (if they declare) because with this year's tackle class, they'll probably be available in the second round. If they're not or don't declare (both would be sure first round picks next year), then I might hold off on the tackle in round two. Wesley Britt is a name I'd keep stored in your memory. I know some buzz around him that think he ranks up there with McNeill and better than Whitworth and Terry.

In the third round for a corner, McFadden doesn't seem to have the kind of speed I think we like in our secondary. I'd like to see someone like Antonio Perkins from Oklahoma available, but will he be in the third round? It's questionable. I can see 2-3 corners going in the first round, which means pickings will be slim in the third. If Fabian Washington of Nebraska or Domonique Foxworth of Maryland are available in round three, I think they'd be solid pick-ups.

I think we can get a better guard in the third round than Mayes, and his skills as a pass blocker would concern me in our offense regardless of his run blocking abilities. Someone like Claude Terrell of New Mexico or Adam Snyder of Oregon, if available, might be interesting choices because of their experience at both guard and tackle. C.J. Brooks of Maryland could be an interesting Day Two project, as we know the Rams like to draft them. He needs some coaching, but might be worth it.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Great analysis, Nick!
    In the first round, I think Kevin Burnett is the linebacker of choice
    Unless Jamaal Brown falls to us, Burnett is the way to go.
    Wesley Britt is a name I'd keep stored in your memory
    He'd be a solid round 2 pick. There is a bit of a question with him due to a leg injury last year, but he'll be a starter in the NFL shortly.
    In the third round for a corner, McFadden doesn't seem to have the kind of speed I think we like in our secondary. I'd like to see someone like Antonio Perkins from Oklahoma available, but will he be in the third round? It's questionable. I can see 2-3 corners going in the first round, which means pickings will be slim in the third. If Fabian Washington of Nebraska or Domonique Foxworth of Maryland are available in round three, I think they'd be solid pick-ups.
    Yea, but you got to love a physical smash-mouth corner like McFadden. As far as Washington or Foxworth, I wouldn't mind either, but I'd prefer Washington, if he's there.
    I think we can get a better guard in the third round than Mayes, and his skills as a pass blocker would concern me in our offense regardless of his run blocking abilities. Someone like Claude Terrell of New Mexico or Adam Snyder of Oregon, if available, might be interesting choices because of their experience at both guard and tackle. C.J. Brooks of Maryland could be an interesting Day Two project, as we know the Rams like to draft them. He needs some coaching, but might be worth it.
    I think you're selling Mayes short here. He'll be a starter within a year or two in the NFL. Brooks may be worth a look as well.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

I hope I don't get run out of town for even bringing up this thought, but what about picking up a punter with our second 3rd round pick - [flinches while waiting for barage of rotten tomatoes] - seriously, Dustin Colquitt out of Tennessee is projected to be in the late 3rd to early 4th. Solid punter with a very accurate & powerful leg, great hang time. He could ease a lot of our return woes, they can't return it if they have to fair catch it.

It's worth a thought anyway.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

A top punter can be valuable, but I'd say 5th round at the earliest.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    A top punter can be valuable, but I'd say 5th round at the earliest.
    If he's there in the 5th. I think he's gone by then.

Punter on the first day? I think we have other more important needs. But on the second, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    Punter on the first day? I think we have other more important needs. But on the second, yes.
    I think he's gone by the end of day 1. It's happened 9 times in the past 20 years, so stranger things have happened. IMO, the question is: Is Colquitt good enough for us to use a 1st day pick, or do we pass altogether? I'm torn, but part of me thinks he's good enough to use the late 3rd round pick. Yea, there's lots of needs, but I'd put ST up there as well.

SportingNews says he could go as high as Round Two, DraftCountdown says he's a legit first day prospect, but with our needs on defense and on the offensive line, I'm not sure we can justify taking a punter in the third round. I guess it depends on what we're able to get with our first three picks prior to that. If we can get an offensive tackle, a linebacker, and maybe a cornerback/guard with the first three picks, then I could see using the second third rounder on a punter, I suppose.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Can someone give me an update on Michael Munoz, OG from Tennessee?

He projects as a tackle, needs some offseason surgery, but is a Day 1 pick, probably no later than the second round. He's technically good and a very smart player and leader, but he isn't as strong as some other prospects and doesn't seem to be very durable - he had a big knee injury in '01 and now he's got shoulder problems.

The more I think about it, if we can't get a big name OT (Barron, McNeil, or Brown) or one of the big LBs (Johnson or Burnett), I say we trade our 1st round slot for some combination of 2nd, 3rd, and/or 4th round pick. Depending on when we go out, our 1st round pick should be worth a high 2nd and 3rd OR a middle 2nd, 3rd, & 4th. I know having two 2nds and 3rds isn't as sexy as a 1st rounder, but if we don't get one of those I mentioned, I don't see a legitimate 1st rounder left in our need positions. Just my opinion, though.

You don't think our secondary would benefit from a first-round corner? I certainly do.

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    You don't think our secondary would benefit from a first-round corner? I certainly do.
    Absolutely, I just don't see one available by the time it gets to us. I think Rolle, Jackson, & Miller will be gone, and IMO there's not another 1st round CB out there...maybe Webster (given a year or two to develop), maybe Pac-Man Jones (also a return man), but other than that I don't see another 1st rounder at CB, and I'm only marginal on those two guys.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

I have heard that this year's draft is extremely weak and even if a bunch of juniors come out it won't help much. Therefore Hubison's idea of trading down for extra picks makes good sense. The only problem is that we must find someone willing to move up and in a weak draft that could be difficult. That being said having the extra picks in rounds 2, 3, & 4 could afford us the opportunity to take a chance on a punter like Colquitt. You know I thought the Raiders were nuts several years back when they selected Shane Lechler but everytime I see that guy kick I think "Man if he only played for the Rams!"
    BTW who is the consensus choice to be the first pick in this draft? Is there even anyone out there who qualifies?

WHAT SAY YE?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I think the Rams really need to try to get two new LBs. One veteran - E.Hartwell, K.Bell, perhaps? And one blue chip rookie. I think the Rams can afford to bolster their D backs with a 3rd round pick (assuming Edwards is resigned).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast