MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Null, others battling for Rams roster spots ..

BY JIM THOMAS Thursday, September 2, 2010 10:45 am

After starting the final four games last season because of injuries to Marc Bulger and Kyle Boller, Keith Null talked hopefully of having a chance to compete for the starting job in 2010.

But that was before the Rams invested the No. 1 overall draft pick in quarterback Sam Bradford. And brought in A.J. Feeley, a veteran schooled in the West Coast scheme, and who had worked with offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur previously in Philadelphia.

So as the Rams enter their final preseason game, aka the Bubble Bowl, Null is fighting for a roster spot tonight against Baltimore. (Kickoff is 7 p.m. at the Edward Jones Dome.)

"I feel like I've made some strides and I've taken the opportunities that I've gotten and used them to the best of my ability," Null said. "That's really all I can do is just go out there and do my best on that field. And I think that's what I've done."

A sixth-round pick last season from NCAA Division II West Texas A&M, Null was something of a feel-good story for the Rams. But feelings don't have much to do with what takes place this time of year in the NFL. It's all about business — the business of trimming the roster from 75 players to the regular-season limit of 53 by Saturday evening.

"I don't think anybody in this business can ever really get comfortable," Null said. "I think once you do that, then you're not really giving out your full effort — you're not really competing like you should. I still feel like I'm trying to get here (on the final 53), and even get on the field somehow."

By the numbers, Null has been clearly outplayed so far by Thaddeus Lewis, an undrafted rookie from Duke. Lewis has completed 16 of 20 passes for 166 yards, with a touchdown and an interception, for a 97.1 passer rating. Null has completed only 10 of 27 for 101 yards, with no TDs, no INTs and a 48.5 passer rating.

But Null did lead the Rams to fourth-quarter rallies against Cleveland and New England. Those comeback victories should count for something, right?

"Who knows?" Null said, laughing. "I guess it's for you guys to decide on those things."

Not exactly. Coach Steve Spagnuolo has final say on the makeup of the 53-man roster, in consultation with his coaching staff and general manager Billy Devaney. Bubble players have one last chance tonight to impress the head coach, or maybe even change his mind.

"We have talked in these terms right from the beginning — that guys are evaluated on their productivity, their character, their ability to learn, and their durability," Spagnuolo said. "So, you've got to be a durable guy, you've got to produce out on the field, you've got to be a character guy, and you've got to learn the system.

"At this point, we cut the volume (of plays) down in the games, so when you go out there you're hoping the mistakes are going to be limited. When you have a guy making the same mistakes over and over, that tells you something, so that hurts them a little bit."

Spagnuolo didn't dispute the suggestion that as many as a half-dozen roster spots could still be up for grabs, at least in his considerations entering the Baltimore game.

"Every time I sit down and do that, we have an injury and it throws everything out of whack," Spagnuolo said. "So I'm very careful when I do it, but I would say that's true."

From an outside perspective, there seems to be more roster intrigue than there has been in several years at Rams Park:

• At running back, Kenneth Darby, Chris Ogbonnaya and Keith Toston haven't done much to separate themselves — or distinguish themselves — in the competition to be No. 2 on the depth chart behind Steven Jackson.

• At tight end, is Daniel Fells a starter? Or a roster cut? Do the Rams keep three tight ends and try to smuggle Fendi Onobun onto the practice squad?

• If the Rams keep four tight ends, does that mean they carry only five wide receivers? And if they keep only five wideouts, is there any way the Rams can then afford the luxury of keeping Danario Alexander on the active roster?

• On the defensive line, it may come down to Victor Adeyanju or C.J. Ah You for one of the backup end spots. Does undrafted rookie Jermelle Cudjo really have a shot to make the team at tackle?

thermobee is offline Registered User

Re: Null, others battling for Rams roster spots ..

I hope they cut Null simply because Lewis is the only Qb on our team that can run some sort of wild cat and I truly believe that we need to open up the playbook.

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by thermobee View Post
    I hope they cut Null simply because Lewis is the only Qb on our team that can run some sort of wild cat and I truly believe that we need to open up the playbook.
    This is Null's second year in Shurmur's system, so it will be interesting to see who Spags and Shurmur decide to keep as a 3rd stringer. I'm thinking Null might have a slim edge .. It is however, icing on the cake to have a qb who can consistently make plays with his legs ..

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I want to know what they're going to do about the back-up RB position. Why? Because we have nothing behind Steven Jackson!

rNemesis is offline Registered User

THATS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING THAT SPAGS DOESNT REALIZE!

Unless he feels that Darby Ogby and Toston are serviceable enough