rammiser is offline Registered User

O.J.'s price too high

From Espn
    Oshiomogho Atogwe | Rams | Interested: Rams?, Raiders?, Browns?, Buccaneers?, Jaguars?, Dolphins? Top Email Update: Go ahead and cross the Lions off the suitor list for Oshiomogho Atogwe, according to ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. Schefter believes it's going to come down to the Dolphins, Vikings and Rams. On the other hand, Judd Zulgad of the Minnesota Star Tribune says we can cross the Vikes off the list now too, per a league source.

As for why the Lions -- who need a safety, by all accounts -- are passing, Tom Kowalski of MLive.com reports word from a league source that Atogwe's contract demands are too rich for their blood. The insinuation is that if the price drops, the Lions could be back in the mix.

As Tuesday turned into Wednesday, O.J. became a free man, and is now able to sign with any team. One issue for other teams interested could be financial compensation. Atogwe earned in excess of $6 million in 2009, and some teams might not be interested in paying that much (like the Lions, in the case above). It's important to remember in all of this that with the deadline passing, the Rams have only lost exclusive negotiating rights. They can still engage Atogwe in contract talks, but now there will be competition.

The ***** had also been penciled in as an interested team; however, Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee dismisses the idea, primarily because of the fact that the Niners already have plenty of good, young safeties. On Wednesday afternoon, we learned that the Cowboys probably aren't interested, and neither are the Redskins.

Public interest in Atogwe prior to Tuesday had been muted -- for obvious reasons, since anything more would be considered tampering. But given the need for a ball hawk like Atogwe for a number of teams, the bidding should be brisk this week, and other teams mentioned as possibilities (in addition to those listed above) have been the Raiders, Browns, Bucs and Texans. The Jaguars could also probably use an upgrade at safety, and Adam Stites of Big Cat Country thinks that given the interest in Darren Sharper, perhaps they'd go after Atogwe, who is six years Sharper's junior.

Mike Sando
    Better fit on a contending team?

"While Atogwe didn't have his best season in 2009, the Rams' often horrible offense made it tough for any safety to shine in coverage. Safeties can be at their opportunistic best when their teams are leading games and opponents are forced to take chances. Darren Sharper used these circumstances to his great advantage in New Orleans last season. Atogwe would certainly offer more value to a contending team. Though talented and a core player in St. Louis, he probably isn't dynamic enough to carry the same on-field value for a rebuilding team.".
    His price was too high for the Lions but as stated above his value seems more suited to a team that is a contender. I really hope the Rams retain this guy.

Just Fix It

msha is offline Registered User

Re: O.J.'s price too high

the only reason hed go to the Lions is if they overpay him. they say theyll get back in if the price drops, but why would he even consider going to the lions at a cheap price?

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by msha View Post
    the only reason hed go to the Lions is if they overpay him. they say theyll get back in if the price drops, but why would he even consider going to the lions at a cheap price?

Maybe he developed a friendship with Linehan? That's the only reason I can think of, but I can't even convince myself of that.

Warner4prez is offline Registered User

Because Detroit is where most Rams go to die. (Martz, Furrey, Hakim, Fisher, McDonald, Wade, Linehan...)

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Believe it or not, it's a step up in the wins department, based on the last three seasons (their nine wins to our six)!
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

general counsel is offline Registered User

Maybe because they have more talent than we do, or more to the point, because at this point in his career he is willing to go to any team that will pay him the most. He was a third round pick. He has not made a ton of money at this point in his career. I cant blame him for maximizing the amount of money he can make on this contract, it may be his best shot at a big payday. Time will tell if he overvalued himself in the marketplace.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

ramsfan1957 is offline Registered User

I hope OJ returns to the Rams but we can't afford to overpay. I like OJ but don't think he's an elite safety. For as many turnovers he generates he also gives up a big play. IMO he needs to temper his play and quit going for the big play sometimes and just stop the run or knock down the pass. I think the Rams will be fine with or without him, other players will simply have to step up. We just can't afford to give a longterm contract that overpays a player because we don't have a replacement. If he doesn't return we will truly see how good our depth is and maybe address this need in the next draft. This team didn't implode overnight and it won't improve overnight. Rebuilding is a process!

dlions is offline Registered User

I sat next to a group(about 15-30) of guys that played football at his high school and his coach when they played the Lions last season. They said " He was a huge Lions fan when he was growing up ". The guy sitting beside said " if he hit the market the Lions would be his first choice" I never met these guys before, but they where talking to him at the guardrail before the game.

Tony Banks is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dlions View Post
    I sat next to a group(about 15-30) of guys that played football at his high school and his coach when they played the Lions last season. They said " He was a huge Lions fan when he was growing up ". The guy sitting beside said " if he hit the market the Lions would be his first choice" I never met these guys before, but they where talking to him at the guardrail before the game.

I sat next to a guy who was sitting next to another guy that once rode in a plane that flew over the state that OJ's high school is in, and he said he grew up Rams fan. Looks like we have the edge. I don't know why I trust my source, but I just do.
    :1: