Thread: O-line issues

Lange is offline Registered User

O-line issues

Just some thoughts does the line make you miss Orlando Pace? I seriously have no idea why he was released and is a solid starter for the Bears now. He was a stud for years here. On a different note O-line play as of now is just not doing very well and its hard to imagine significant improvement as the season goes on. As another question do you see the line making improvement any time soon and what do you suggest happens to turn this around?

Also if you can i'd like a good honest evaluation of our o-line what they have done well how each individual player has played and the bad they've done as a ,individual to somewhat give some more insight.
    Last edited by Lange; -09-20-2009 at 10:49 PM.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Re: O-line issues

Quote Originally Posted by Lange View Post
    Just some thoughts does the line make you miss Orlando Pace? I seriously have no idea why he was released and is a solid starter for the Bears now. He was a stud for years here. On a different note O-line play as of now is just not doing very well and its hard to imagine significant improvement as the season goes on. As another question do you see the line making improvement any time soon and what do you suggest happens to turn this around?
    Hind sight is 20/20 but it had to happen eventually. He wasnt going to make us a Superbowl contender so they released him to save some cap money. Sure I think he would make the o-line better but Barron has played very well so far, even though he had two holding penalties today. I hated the move personally but when you love something sometimes you just gotta let it go, just like with Holt. The Bruce move however to this day I still dont agree with.
    Just Fix It

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Pressure isn't coming from the left side of the line. It's all coming from the guards. Orlando Pace won't be stopping them. We need to work on the interior line. =/

Barron - good. had a dumb holding penalty, but no false starts. no sacks from his side
    Bell - Doesn't do much
    Brown - Okay. Played one of the best DT's in the league.
    Cogs - Terrible against the pass. Good against the run
    Smith - Did pretty good for a rookie.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is online now Registered User

I watched the game today and I thought the Oline did a fair job. Remember, it's still a work in progress. It takes time for a line to "jell", and this line has had two whole games to get it together. It is better, and should continue to improve if they stay healthy.

Some of the problems with the running game wasn't really run blocking. It was Jackson not being on the same page as his leading blocker, Mr. Karney, and taking the run where it was designed. One play in particular, just before the Avery fumble, I believe, Jackson had a huge hole in the middle of the field with Karney and a lineman leading the way. It was a probable TD, but Jackson did his Fred Astaire impression and danced right and into a tackler, while his blockers were clearing a huge hole up the middle. I turned to a fellow Rams fan and both of us remarked about the huge hole Jackson didn't see. I hope with time, like the Oline, Jackson and Karney will start seeing things the same and it will start to really come together.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I haven't seen either game, but as stated above and in all the reports I've seen, Barron is holding his own out there on the left side. I knew he could, and that he would. He's a natural left tackle for this league and now that he can play it, he'll start to shine. It's the rest of the line that needs to get it's act together.

Speaking of the rest of the line, I'm assuming Cogs started again, was that true? How'd he do?

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Cog's played pretty well in the run game actually, it's his pass blocking that needs a lot of work.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    I haven't seen either game, but as stated above and in all the reports I've seen, Barron is holding his own out there on the left side. I knew he could, and that he would. He's a natural left tackle for this league and now that he can play it, he'll start to shine. It's the rest of the line that needs to get it's act together.

Speaking of the rest of the line, I'm assuming Cogs started again, was that true? How'd he do?
    Cogs played great in the running game. Limited his dumb penalties. He's made it past this week. haha

But Cogs made some great plays on the run. He would lock up with the defensive lineman, then move onto the linebacker for the stop. Quite impressive watching Cogs on the run.

Pass though....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Gotta hope Brown and Smith return to action soon otherwise we're right back to square one with this offensive line.

As far as Pace is concerned, it's all about not wanting to pay an aging player what he wants. It is a fine line between being fiscally responsible and having that player sign elsewhere and be productive. The Rams have been burned terribly; London Fletcher, Isaac Bruce, kevin Curtis & Mike Furrey are among the players who have been let go and have thrived elsewhere. Pace and Holt are off to good starts with their respective teams as well. It makes you sick to your stomach seeing guys who could help you wearing the uniforms of other teams while you spin your wheels.

longfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Gotta hope Brown and Smith return to action soon otherwise we're right back to square one with this offensive line.

As far as Pace is concerned, it's all about not wanting to pay an aging player what he wants. It is a fine line between being fiscally responsible and having that player sign elsewhere and be productive. The Rams have been burned terribly; London Fletcher, Isaac Bruce, kevin Curtis & Mike Furrey are among the players who have been let go and have thrived elsewhere. Pace and Holt are off to good starts with their respective teams as well. It makes you sick to your stomach seeing guys who could help you wearing the uniforms of other teams while you spin your wheels.

when we let london fletcher go our defense seemed to lose its identity.. and went into skidsville..

it was a waterloo moment in my eyes..

isaac bruce should have been a ram until HE wanted to go.. you just have to make that happen..

but then look at our management at the time.. explains a lot of it..