Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: The O-Line..The O-Line..The O-Line

The O-line finished out the season on a higher note than usual. Last years blow out to the Cards was gut wrenching.

But this said, why don't we try starting and finishing the year strong for a change? Two years in a row we lost every game until the bye.

Our first round pick should be an OT. Oher? Smith? J. Smith? Monroe? Who knows. Am I claiming that we will trade? No. All I am saying is that we have an obvious need at OT. Pace is injury prone and up there in age. Barron doesn't appear to be a franchise player. Looks more like a street free agent. We should use the number two pick (again) to lock up our future OT. Plug him in at RT or RG until Pace hangs up the cleats.

With our second round pick, draft Unger or Mack. If any of those guys are on the board, we need to draft them. If we don't draft them, we just shot ourselves in the foot.

With that layout...we will most likely have this line.

Pace - Bell - Unger/Mack - Cogs/Barron/Greco - Smith/Oher/Monroe/J.Smith

Then you have to add the free agency into the equation. Do we try to land a starter? Do we throw money at Jordan Gross who can immediately come in and start at RT? That would leave us at

Pace - Bell - Unger/Mack - Cogs/Greco/rookie/Barron - Barron/rookie/Gross

We really have to hope that Unger or Mack are available in round two. Thats TWO (yes count them,) TWO starters on this line for next season, hoping that the first rounder gets the nod to start.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

keith m. klink Guest

The fat and skinny of the situation is this . A TACKLE IS NEEDED . And ANDRE isn't the answer. if we need a new starter in a year or two , it's OHER. If we want a PACE kind of OT , than sign JORDAN GROSS -PANTHERS 6th yr.

A 3 tackle team of PACE -GROSS -BARRON , would keep that spot healthy and secure for 5-7 years. If and when PACE goes it is still solid and strong with GROSS and BARRON. and a ROOKIE or FA could fill #3 spot. ( Goldberg? )

We have many guards COGS , BELL , GRECO , SCHUENNING , SETTERSTROM.
    It is my feeling that SETTERSTROM could move to CENTER with Romberg as the backup. If a FRANCHISE center is needed , which i really think is the case , he should be drafted READY TO PLAY from day 1 , ( maybe even as high as a 2nd-3rd round pick ) as for free agents i have only one ( Jason Brown -Ravens ).

SO in saying that , i feel that we should draft 1-OT and 1-C , to the team. If we signed one of those 2 players, GROSS- i would draft a OT in the 3rd to 5th rd. and maybe a CENTER in the 2nd to 3rd rd. If we brought in BROWN , i would say draft a OT in the second to 4th round to move into position when PACE leaves.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

We'll not only need frontline playes like the names bandied about in earlier posts, but we'll need depth. As these players tend to get nagging injuries or more serious ones like Pace for the past few years, you have to have subs that can fill-in with starter potential.

With that in mind there are several tackles that I have seen who might be interesting mid-round picks, such as Alex Boone, OSU, Eric Vandenheuval, Wisc and Robert Brewster, Ball St. There was also a solid tackle for West Virginia whose name eludes me. At center there are also some mid-round candidates to consider such as Luigs from Louisville and Caldwell from Alabama.

Take into account, if we hire a HC such as L. Frazier or R. Ryan they are going to beef-up the defense particularly at ILB so beprepred for picks in rounds 2 & 3 to go defense. IMHO.

Go Rams!

RockinRam is offline Registered User

If you guys are thinking about us drafting some solid OT's in the 2-3 round, here's a list of the players I think will give us stable and reliable blocking. There's a couple names I didn't mention, as I can't remember all of them.

Ciron Black LSU 6'5 315lbs.
    Eben Britton Arizona 6'6 310lbs.
    William Beaty Conneticut 6'6 315lbs.
    Russell Okung Okla St. 6'5 300lbs.
    Phil Loadholt Okla 6'8 350lbs.
    Trent Williams Okla 6'5 308lbs.
    Troy Kropog Tulane 6'6 305lbs.
    Fenuki Tupou Oregon 6'5 335lbs.
    Sam Young Notre Dame 6'7 320lbs.
    Adam Ulatoski Texas 6'8 312lbs.

What do you guys think about us drafting a guard in the second round, instead of a center?
    We could move Setterstrom to center, and draft a guy like Herman Johnson. This guy is like 6'7, 350lbs. He would be a BIGGER addition to the o-line than Jacob Bell, who is undersized. So the line could be:

Pace ~ Bell/Johnson ~ Setterstrom/rookie/FA ~ Greco/Schuening ~ Smith/Oher

Give me your guys opinions. Most of ya'll probably would not want this option, but I'm just throwing it out for the sake of another path we could go to fortify our ransacked o-line.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    What do you guys think about us drafting a guard in the second round, instead of a center?
    We could move Setterstrom to center, and draft a guy like Herman Johnson. This guy is like 6'7, 350lbs. He would be a BIGGER addition to the o-line than Jacob Bell, who is undersized.
    We tried moving Setterstrom to center early this season and it didn't work out. I don't like the idea of guard in the second round simply because we have an abundance of players there already and we still don't know what we have. Bell is probably the surest bet to start at LG simply because of his contract status. We know what we have in Incognito: A knucklehead. Greco showed some promise as a part of the rotation mentioned as a part of our late run, but it really is too early to judge. Then there's Setterstrom, who was basically in the same boat 2 years ago as Greco is now and got hurt in the first game of consecutive seasons. There's too many questions and too many players there to just throw another guy in and let him compete with four others for one starting spot. If we happen to land a starting RT in Free Agency, you can throw Barron in the mix at guard, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    Pace is injury prone and up there in age. Barron doesn't appear to be a franchise player. Looks more like a street free agent. We should use the number two pick (again) to lock up our future OT. Plug him in at RT or RG until Pace hangs up the cleats.

With our second round pick, draft Unger or Mack. If any of those guys are on the board, we need to draft them. If we don't draft them, we just shot ourselves in the foot.
    This here is the long and short of it. I'd go as far as to make the case that we're in fairly immediate need of TWO tackles because both Pace and Barron could be lost after next season to retirement and free agency. If we have the chance to add a Jordan Gross and have Barron as a swing man for a season it would be ideal, seeing how prone to injury Pace is. Even then I'd draft an OT at pick 2 if we don't trade down. That way there's security at at least three positions along the OL for the next five years.

If we can land a trade down, not that I think it's likely, it puts us in a very interesting situation with what positions to address early and later in round 2. Alex Mack would make the best choice, IMO, but then we're leaving it up to chance that an OT will be available when we pick next in (depending on the conditions of the trade) round 2 or round 3. History shows us that if there are to be any runs on offensive linemen during the draft, they will generally occur between the back end of round one and will extend to the beginning of the second, at which point most of the projected 'mid-round-2' tackles will have been taken slightly higher than purported. Case In point, Duane Brown, OT, Va. Tech.

As I see it, this occurs for two reasons:

One, good teams know that it all starts up front, accounting for OL picks toward the back of R1.
    Two, bad teams have porous OL's, accounting for OL picks at the beginning of round 2.

Now, the only problem with trading down is that we're potentially hanging ourselves out to dry at one of those positions. There's a legitimate chance that we could have Mack, Unger and a guy like Eben Britton available to us at pick 34 and then for us to find none of them available a little further back, and therefore, instead of filling three needs via a trade down, we're put in a situation where we can't find a player who is absolutely ideal and (according to recent Ram history) we take a stupid risk on Claude Wroten.

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    If you guys are thinking about us drafting some solid OT's in the 2-3 round, here's a list of the players I think will give us stable and reliable blocking. There's a couple names I didn't mention, as I can't remember all of them.

Ciron Black LSU 6'5 315lbs.
    Eben Britton Arizona 6'6 310lbs.
    William Beaty Conneticut 6'6 315lbs.
    Russell Okung Okla St. 6'5 300lbs.
    Phil Loadholt Okla 6'8 350lbs.
    Trent Williams Okla 6'5 308lbs.
    Troy Kropog Tulane 6'6 305lbs.
    Fenuki Tupou Oregon 6'5 335lbs.
    Sam Young Notre Dame 6'7 320lbs.
    Adam Ulatoski Texas 6'8 312lbs.

We could move Setterstrom to center, and draft a guy like Herman Johnson. This guy is like 6'7, 350lbs. He would be a BIGGER addition to the o-line than Jacob Bell, who is undersized. So the line could be:

Pace ~ Bell/Johnson ~ Setterstrom/rookie/FA ~ Greco/Schuening ~ Smith/Oher

Give me your guys opinions. Most of ya'll probably would not want this option, but I'm just throwing it out for the sake of another path we could go to fortify our ransacked o-line.
    I like this mans thinking. Everybody on that list is big and heavy, thats exactly what we need. The only question is do they move with agility, smarts and quickness?

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Guam rammer View Post
    I like this mans thinking. Everybody on that list is big and heavy, thats exactly what we need. The only question is do they move with agility, smarts and quickness?
    Yes. Most of these guys are smart blockers, who are quick on their feet. A few of them may be more of a wall off type blocker, I forgot who on that list though. But most of them are agile, and have good footwork and great punch off the line of scrimmage.

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

Yes we definitely need help in the O-Line STiLL..dont let the illusion of having Jackson in the backfield and playing mediocre teams in the final stretch fool you.

tonyray05 is offline Registered User

The oline should be the priorty (Oher is the Man) in the draft. Yes there was some cohesion at the end of the season. I think this was more for personal gain more than team goals. Just like the hoopla from the press on Jackson's 1000 yd season. Pace is good for a year or two, Greco did well, Barron is steady, but still an airhead, and Cogs needs to take a chill pill and play with some discipline or the hit the highway.
    I would also like to see if we could trade down and maybe get some real value, and fill some much needed holes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12