Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BornRam is offline Registered User

Re: The obvious case for Josh McDaniels

i think we should get him he's the better one out of him and childress the only thing really concerns me is the history he has and what it could possibly bring to the organization

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    If he only called plays in New England maybe you can make that argument, but he was successful with elite talent in New England as a well as mediocre talent in Denver.

As for spygate he is not the head coach he doesn't have the power to make those calls only the head coach does and I don't think that is Spags style

I would dispute that he was successful in Denver. He hardly distinguished himself there, running off Jay Cutler (who is in the NFC Championship game, btw and is ten times the player Kyle Orton is), Brandon Marshall and several other talented offensive players in favor of his own guys. In the long run, it cost him his job.

I have strong reservations about McDaniels, who strikes me as an arrogant guy who obviously wasn't ready for a head coaching gig. To be fair, we cannot discount his work with Tom Brady and Matt Cassel, but to suggest he is an outstanding coordinator because he won behind Brady isn't necessarily true. I don't know if having a young, headstrong former head coach as a coordinator is the best thing behind Spags, who is still learning and evolving as a head coach himself.

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    I would dispute that he was successful in Denver. He hardly distinguished himself there, running off Jay Cutler (who is in the NFC Championship game, btw and is ten times the player Kyle Orton is), Brandon Marshall and several other talented offensive players in favor of his own guys. In the long run, it cost him his job.

I have strong reservations about McDaniels, who strikes me as an arrogant guy who obviously wasn't ready for a head coaching gig. To be fair, we cannot discount his work with Tom Brady and Matt Cassel, but to suggest he is an outstanding coordinator because he won behind Brady isn't necessarily true. I don't know if having a young, headstrong former head coach as a coordinator is the best thing behind Spags, who is still learning and evolving as a head coach himself.
    I think you're right on with a lot of what you say NJ, and I don't think he was successful in Denver or he wouldn't have been fired. But, as you say, Cutler is 10x the player Orton is..yet Orton had the 2 best years of his career with McDaniels, putting up numbers that bettered Cutler year 1, and were similar year 2. Brandon Lloyd came from no where to have a huge year this year (injured last year). Before that his best season was 5 years ago of 700ish yards. Point is, yeah, he screwed up in Denver, but I believe there some statistical evidence to suggest he's gets a lot out of his offensive players, including Denver.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post

I find it odd that the argument that he brought in his own guys is still used when he clearly wouldn't have that power here.

Also, yes, it is clear he was in over his head as a head coach, he wasn't ready. But he was excellent at being an offensive coordinator, which is what he would be here. You seem to imply McDaniels would impose his will and basically dominate Spags, when everything about Spags suggests he keeps his staff under pretty tight control. I personally think the Denver experience would humble McDaniels and he wouldn't try to run the team himself, nor would he be able to from O Coordinator. Devaney and Spags have control of the team, and that is very clear, McDaniels would not be able to wrest that from them without being fired, and if he did that he would never be employed again.

Don't forget who he was under on the Pats, and that man doesn't exactly let his staff and players run wild. That suggests to me he is capable of working under a coach without thinking he IS the coach.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Lets see the situation here. The teams in desperate needs of an OC are the Rams, Vikings, and Dolphins. Josh McDaniels is the hottest OC for hire but he's most likely to pan out of Miami seeing that Brandon Marshall plays for that team. Childress is by no means coming back to Minnesota and he's friends to Spags but is also taking consideration under Miami. McDaniels runs a spectacular offense that can extract most of the jewel within an offensive talent but is an entirely different system compared to WCO. Childress runs a WCO that can further continue Bradford's development while McD's system might slow that development.

IMO, I prefer McD's offense based on what he's been capable of getting out of guys Brandon Lloyd and Kyle Orton. The offense learning a new system might leave consequences to us having a potentially losing season (with the tougher schedule on our grasp) but in the long run. We should be a workforce to deal with on both sides of the ball for years to come.

FestusRam is online now Registered User

I really hope we hire him asap.

With him taking over the offense and Spags developing our already solid defense, this team could easily become a formidable one.

Besides if Spags chooses him over Childress, wouldn't that lay to rest all the people whining bout Spags controllable nature and him only bring in his own guys.

Either way Spags seems to be turning the Rams around and I'm behind him 110%.

Is anyone else already getting anxious about whos going to be suiting up for the rams next year, and how well we will fair? I know I am!

ram1906 is offline Registered User

I am NOT sold on McD. Childress may be the better long term answer if the choice were between the 2. As a head coach, Childress has run a balanced offense and taken a team to the playoffs. While McD has run a pass happy offense which statistically looked great but ultimetly didn't win. Not to mention, his ego chased great talent away from the Broncos and ultimetly cost him his job.
    So to me the choice isn't that obvious.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

The case can be made that McDaniels has the credentials to install an explosive offense. However, it would be a new one, and everyone including Sam would be starting from page one. If Josh were hired, and he brought about really good results, he would then be back in the hunt for another head coaching gig. Childress on the other hand knows the WCO and IMO would be more likely to stick around. The other thing that has me wondering is how a cocky guy like Josh would mesh with Spags. I remember when Linehan hired Jim Haslett and was lauded for not worrying about being upstaged. We all know how that worked out .. We'll see how this plays out - I'm all for trusting Billy and Spags to find the right guy.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

McD will have to get Super Bowl rings with us before he decides to become a head coach.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12