Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

OC Olson and Boudreau to be fired

Rams shaking up staff
    By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    01/07/2008

Offensive coordinator Greg Olson and offensive line coach Paul Boudreau are on the way out with the Rams, and recently fired Miami Dolphins head coach Cam Cameron could be on the way as Olson's replacement.

Although the Rams have not announced either Olson's or Boudreau's dismissal, ESPN has reported that both assistants are out. Olson was removed from his play-calling duties four games into the 2007 season, with Linehan taking over. But the offense never really clicked with Linehan calling plays, either, over the rest of an injury-plagued 3-13 season.

Under Boudreau, the Rams allowed 48 sacks and averaged only 3.8 yards a carry. But the offensive line was missing three of its top six blockers by halftime of the season opener.

Three starting offensive linemen ended up on the season-ending injured reserve list, and by season's end the Rams were playing with two street free agents and two 37-year-olds on the starting unit.

Boudreau and Olson could not be reached to comment. Linehan, team President John Shaw and president of football operations-general manager Jay Zygmunt did not return phone messages.

Cameron was one of three finalists for the Rams' head-coaching position in the 2006 job search that led to Linehan's hiring. The Dolphins were 1-15 this season, Cameron's only one as their head coach.

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

Re: OC Olson and Boudreau to be fired

Good news, start weeding out the dead wood from the coaching staff down to the players...

majorram is offline Registered User

I really don't know about letting Boudreau go, the guy didn't really have much to work with this season...

steve:l
    "The breakfast Club"

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

i agree

if Linehan gets a pass because of these injuries, surely Boudreau must as well. i dont see how he was expected to get good play out of a unit with three starters on IR and missing key backups for length periods of the season. Not only that, but he had to start guys bought in off the street

rams 24/7 is offline Registered User

Hmmmmmmmm, Three Head Coaches, Coaching One Team. Don't Sound Like A Bad Idea

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    i agree

if Linehan gets a pass because of these injuries, surely Boudreau must as well. i dont see how he was expected to get good play out of a unit with three starters on IR and missing key backups for length periods of the season. Not only that, but he had to start guys bought in off the street
    Good Post

If Lineham gets a pass due to injuries how can you fire these other guys?

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I'm fine with replacing Olson but not so much Boudreau. Given the problems we've had on offense and the continual complaints about play-calling dating back to last year, it seems clear to me that we need change in the offense. If Linehan isn't going to go, we can at least try to bring in a coordinator who can put together a more effective gameplan and adjust according to what the defense is doing on the field on gameday.

I don't think the problems on the offensive line are so easily attributed to coaching, though. Plus Boudreau has had a lot more success in this league as an offensive line coach than Greg Olson has had as an offensive coordinator.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dominating D View Post
    Good Post

EXACTLY. You can't give Linehan a free pass due to injuries then fire these two because the team didn't produce.

Well, yes you can but it's very comical.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

I have no problem with Olson being let go, as he was an underqualified LinePal.

Boudreau, on the other hand, is a long-time O line coach who seems to be a strange fall-guy.

One thing to look for - with Boudreau gone, the Rams may make less of an effort to re-sign Romberg, who was a Boudreau guy.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    if Linehan gets a pass because of these injuries, surely Boudreau must as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominating D View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    EXACTLY. You can't give Linehan a free pass due to injuries then fire these two because the team didn't produce.
    Is there a substantial percentage of the fan base giving Linehan a completely free pass on this season? Because it would seem to me that many people who think Linehan should have a third year recognize mistakes he's made this year that he can be accountable for. Just because some feel he should have a third year doesn't mean he gets a free pass. I'm not sure there's anyone on this team deserving of a free pass, so these types of comments confuse me.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

keith m. klink Guest

listen, you don't twirle a martini if you want it to mix good , you shake it up . try it .
    Last edited by Nick; -01-07-2008 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Unnecessary language

Some believe that there are only two possibilities: (1) getting fired, and (2) getting a free pass.

You seem to think there is a grey area between those two options. Not everyone agrees with that.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Some believe that there are only two possibilities: (1) getting fired, and (2) getting a free pass.

You seem to think there is a grey area between those two options. Not everyone agrees with that.
    That's fine, but I think it's rather illogical to try and put it in such black and white terms. Simply retaining the coach doesn't absolve him of any mistakes he's made during the season, IMO. Putting the analysis into such polar terms - either he's fired or he's infallible - makes little sense to me.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

I don't think that is the issue, at least not to most fans.

The question is, does he deserve to be back? To those who think the answer is "no," it is of little or no importance that he might have been told that his job is in jeopardy.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Is there a substantial percentage of the fan base giving Linehan a completely free pass on this season?
    Fan base? No.
    Front Office? Yes.

And just so we're clear, I'm assuming for this debate's purposes.....

Free Pass = Employed
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. -01-07-2008, 09:31 AM