ramsbruce is offline Registered User

OC Olson Second-Guesses Doomed Game Plan

OC Olson second-guesses doomed game plan

By Bill Coats
    09/24/2007 7:34 pm

Why was the Rams’ offense so numbingly conservative Sunday game? The day-after media confab revealed two main – and connected - reasons:

A determination to give running back Steven Jackson a heavy workload against a so-so Tampa Bay defense.

A concern that quarterback Marc Bulger couldn’t withstand a beating similar to the six-sack, multiple-hit bashing he took the week before, which left him with two broken ribs and a sore knee.

“We felt like going into this game that we could control the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball,” offensive coordinator Greg Olson said. “We thought by playing a little closer to the vest we could control it (and that) we may not be able to open it up as much as we had previously. We thought that was our best chance to win the football game.”

Didn’t work. They mustered a mere field goal in the 24-3 loss and are averaging a woeful 10.7 points per game.

Olson acknowledged that perhaps he and the others involved might’ve been over-thinking when they concocted the doomed game plan. He concurred, albeit a bit grudgingly, when it was suggested that perhaps they should’ve sought a happy medium, rather than pull in the guns so dramatically.

“I agree,” Olson said. “But it still comes down to making sure your quarterback is protected. I truly believe it all starts up front in the protection of your quarterback. We have to develop better ways to protect him and yet still be able to take the shots downfield without worrying about him getting hit. . . . We’ve got to find a way to create those explosive plays and still hang on to the football and not get our quarterback hit.”

Olson also promised to re-examine his play-calling. “Any time when you’re not scoring like you feel like you should be, then you certainly will second-guess what you’re doing. You’ll look at everything. . . . Maybe we could have (gone downfield more), looking back on it. We still believed going in that our best chance to win was to run the football and keep Marc clean and control the line of scrimmage and score when the opportunities arose. And we didn’t do that.”

Alex Barron’s second start at left tackle wasn’t as successful as his first. His pass blocking was fine, but he struggled on running plays.

“We’d like Alex to step up to the next level,” Olson said. “We thought he did a good job last week filling in. We’d like to see him progress faster.”

Defensive coordinator Jim Haslett, former head coach of the Saints, said the 0-3 hole in which the Rams find themselves will be difficult – but not impossible – to overcome.

“It’s hard. But it’s early in the season,” he said. “Things change fast in this league; it’s always been that way.”

In 1997, Haslett’s first season as the Steelers’ offensive coordinator, the team was outscored 80-41 in its first three games. “Then we stuck 11 (wins) together and went to the AFC championship,” he said.

All for now. . .
    I just find this unacceptable. The plan was to play Bulger with broken ribs, control the line of scrimmage, play conservative and try and keep Bulger clean. That is one of the worst game plans I have ever heard. Totally unacceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Tre was running great against an awful NYG run defense. 5.8 YPC yet he only gets 13 carries. I can't wait until the Rams abandon you, Schotty.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: OC Olson Second-Guesses Doomed Game Plan

At least it appears as if he acknowledges that there are areas that need improvement and change.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    At least it appears as if he acknowledges that there are areas that need improvement and change.
    Maybe, but from what I've read so far it seems like Bulger will play this Sunday. There is no way Bulger should play. Conservative won't get it done against the Cowboys, and quite frankly it won't get it done against anyone in the NFL.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Tre was running great against an awful NYG run defense. 5.8 YPC yet he only gets 13 carries. I can't wait until the Rams abandon you, Schotty.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Does that do anything more than make him the leading candidate for Captain Obvious of the Week?

blood85 Guest

With the plays we've been running, I didn't even know we had an OC.

Drew Guest

If a players performance is hindered to the extent of not being able to do what he does best then he shouldn`t be in there,some players in some positions e.g OG`s can play a lil banged up as Timmerman did for years but no way can Bulger under these circumstances,hell we got the best back up since Warner left so let Gus play,more than likely we talking about his final year in the NFL id rather see him behind our banged up line right now than our already banged up QB whose just signed a bumper franchise-killer(well for the next 5 years anyway!) if seriously injured contract!

elchiludo is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    If a players performance is hindered to the extent of not being able to do what he does best then he shouldn`t be in there,some players in some positions e.g OG`s can play a lil banged up as Timmerman did for years but no way can Bulger under these circumstances,hell we got the best back up since Warner left so let Gus play,more than likely we talking about his final year in the NFL id rather see him behind our banged up line right now than our already banged up QB whose just signed a bumper franchise-killer(well for the next 5 years anyway!) if seriously injured contract!
    I just read that Bulger was playing with 2 fractured ribs on sunday.

Drew Guest

I know,is what im saying... get the Gusman in!

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Blood85 View Post
    With the plays we've been running, I didn't even know we had an OC.
    Goodness gracious, another post where I had to LOL!

The St. Louis Rams Hospital. I feel so bad for having all these players either out for the season or out of order. // I hope our OC, DC, and HC bring a great game and 'gung ho' players to Dallas.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Does that do anything more than make him the leading candidate for Captain Obvious of the Week?
    We'll see on Sunday. Acknowledging and actually changing things in the playcalling could change a lot. I certainly wouldn't minimize the possibilities.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

We'll see on Sunday. Acknowledging and actually changing things in the playcalling could change a lot. I certainly wouldn't minimize the possibilities.
    Maybe Linny and Olsen will devise a game plan that focuses on trying to win the game outright instead of playing not to lose ... We've played not to lose for three weeks now and gosh we've been "right there" ... "right there" still translates to 0-3 so perhaps against the Pokes we should come out swinging instead of cringing. I dunno -- things could really get ugly in Dallas ... Pray for a miracle I guess.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

You can bet that the Dallas D coordinator is reading all the quotes from the Rams offensive wizard and licking his chops. You know what his defensive plan is going to be for Sunday? His gameplan will read something like this;

"Put heat on Bulger by blitzing early and often. Make sure we put a hit on him on every play. Hit him hard. Rattle him, force him to throw quickly. Then, hit him again." The Rams cannot beat us with 2 & 3 yard passes.

In fact, the Rams can count on every team applying the same approach from here on out. We're wounded, and shorthanded, and the Rams have been playing timid and scared.

IMHO, now is not the time to play timid and scared. Now is the time to throw everything at them. Fire all your guns and use all your bullets (to paraphrase Bernie M). If Bulger is afraid to get hit, or unable to throw because of the ribs, bench him until he's 100%. Beside, I think Gus throws a better deep ball than Bulger. Let Gus fire at will against the Cowboys. Throw deep and often. I don't care if we have a few 3 & outs, or a couple of picks, heck, we've been playing scared and timid and we're turning the ball over, so we might as well go for it! At least it will make 'em back-off defensively. At this point, we have next to nothing to lose, so we might as well use every weapon we have.

One of the reason Martz's playbook worked so well was the "unknown factor". Martz would run plays at times that they didn't appear to make sense, and his game-plan looked the same if he was 20 points ahead, or behind. What that created was the "unknown factor". The defense was always kept guessing. It put them on their heals. It put a little fear into their approach to blitzing and tight coverages. IT SPREAD THE FIELD. Right now, you only need to play in tight, shut down the running game and force quick throws to Bulger to shut down the Rams offense because we don't even give the impression that we have any intention of going over the top. How easy is that to defend?

So Olson, Linehan, Marc or Gus. Throw the damn ball deep early, and throw the damn ball someplace other than 3 yards sideways, and if you go down, at least go down fighting.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Every team in the NFL is out to protect their quarterback, that's nothing new. The RAMS played the Bucs like they didn't want Bulger touched. This is tackle football not touch football guys!! If Bulger is hurting that bad and there's that much caution in the wind, sit him DOWN!!! Oh great Bulger didn't get hurt any further in the BUCS game. We lost!!! 0-3!!! You play the game to WIN!!!! Put the players on the field that give us the best chance to win, PLEASE!!

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

As much as I hate to play the pessimist I must admit that I have a VERY bad feeling about this game. For one there hasn't been one single indication that Linehan is even thinking about sitting Bulger for the game. Keep in mind if Marc plays he will face two very good Dallas DE's. Dallas doesn't have to fear our run game anymore since Jackson went down so whats to stop them from dropping their secondary into a deep zone coverage and blitzing like hell on every single down? Bulger WILL end up getting injured (probably far worse than what he is now.) And everyone will get their wish and Gus will come in. Just keep in mind we only have TWO QB's on our active roster this year. Thanks again Scotty!

*(oop's almost forgot this thread was about Olson's terrible play calling, I don't want to be accused for trying to derail a thread.) Well, all I can say is that he obviously has no clue in what he's doing and the fact that he's admitting second guessing himself is inexcusable. Football is a the equivalent of a game of chess, you need to think about your moves and their consequences before you act. You can't take your hand off the piece and say "wait a minute that's not what I meant to do." That doesn't help the fact you made a STUPID MOVE, NEITHER DOES IT MAKE IT ANY BETTER! There is a reason why this man has never coached on a professional level and the only man stupid enough to hire him is our coach Linehan. We had Three games that we should have won, regardless of the injuries and the turnovers. The players aren't perfect and i'm not saying the coaches are either, But the coaching staff are the ones that will and should be held accountable and I want results NOW!!!!!!
    Last edited by mikhal5569; -09-25-2007 at 11:47 PM.