ramfan247 Guest

OC Shurmur making great play calls...

I just wanted to start a thread aknowleding Shurmur's great offensive play calls in the last game. Our guys didnt execute that great on offense in the first quarter but I think that was the players' faults rather than the coaches. It has been a loooong time since I have actually agreed with 90% of the offensive play calls (like I have during this preseason) and that is a really good feeling. Shurmur seems to get it!!! Finally! He has a knack for knowing when to run, pass, play action, etc and that is real comforting. So now its just up to our guys to execute.
    Anyone agree that Shurmur has done a real good job so far mixing it up?

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: OC Shurmur making great play calls...

It's hard to tell from pre-season, but I agree, I think we have some quality coaches right now.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

hawaiianpunch is offline Registered User

i think Shurmur is a guy that learns from his mistakes. In the bengals game i seen him made a few bad calls, but he is good at mixing it up. not like linecrap. Pass> Pass> Draw> Punt Play > rinse and repeat. then when we are 0-5 Run> Run> Pass > Punt. much better with him calling the shots, and Spags having the final word in it.
    Last edited by hawaiianpunch; -09-01-2009 at 01:39 PM.

ramfan247 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiianpunch View Post
    i think Shurmur is a guy that learns from his mistakes. In the bengals game i seen him made a few bad calls, but he is good at mixing it up. not like linecrap. Pass> Pass> Draw> Punt Play > rinse and repeat. then when we are 5-0 Run> Run> Pass > Punt. much better with him calling the shots, and Spags having the final word in it.
    Agreed. But to be honest I don't think Spags wants to have the final word on the offensive play calls during the game. Being so incredibly defensive minded I really think he is just depending on Shurmur to get the job done. He may have something to say if he disagreed with something on a monday after a game but I doubt he keeps his hands in anything offensive during the game.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

The Cincy game seemed to me to be the first time there was any effort at all to game plan. The only life Cincy's D had shown in pre was pass rush & the short horizontal passes,etc, helped the O-line and Boller. Glad to see it; I think it was a confidence booster,if nothing else, for both QB and the line. Dunno if it represents anything significant for the future. I hope so. Anybody who sees The Rams ballyhooed transformation into a consistent power running team that can protect the QB ( just because Boller scrambled decently doesn't mean he was protected well) as complete has highly selective vision,imo.

While I didn't expect them to try it much with SJ-why give some psycho safety or LB a shot at his knees in the open field- I am surprised not to have seen more of the RBs as receivers. Hopefully that's just under wraps.Ditto for a little jugular-grabbing RZ offense.

I'm not knocking Shurmur; I just don't think he's put much on display so far. Some of his best assets haven't been fully available to him but I think he'll still need to be creative to compensate for some weaknesses if The Rams are to be successful.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -09-01-2009 at 03:24 PM.