RamWraith is offline Registered User

Odds & Ends: Cowboys will have plenty of fans here

By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    10/19/2008

Although Dallas returned a small number of tickets from its allotment, Sunday's game officially has been a sellout for some time. That's largely because there are Cowboys fans everywhere, and they follow their team faithfully.

Thus, the stands at the Edward Jones Dome figure to contain many Cowboys supporters.

"Their fans travel; they're loyal. So, we're expecting some fans of their's," Rams wide receiver Torry Holt said. "But I'm also expecting our crowd to be over the top of that. For that to happen, we have to give them something to rant and rave about. That's our goal."

ON BARBER'S BACK

The Cowboys' speedy Felix Jones, a rookie from Arkansas who has averaged a whopping 8.9 yards on his 30 carries, is out with a hamstring injury. That means that the Rams will see more of the bruising Marion Barber at running back.

"Marion can carry the load for us; we've seen that," Dallas coach Wade Phillips said. "He can play a whole game and get the ball a lot, so we feel like he's our featured back anyway."

Barber has piled up 440 yards on 110 carries. If he needs a break, third-teamer "Tashard Choice will play some," Phillips said. Choice has carried just five times, for 26 yards.

VOBORA AS WITTEN

Rams rookie David Vobora, a practice-squad linebacker, had an unusual assignment this week. He wore a singlet bearing No. 82 in practice as he simulated the Cowboys' productive tight end, Jason Witten.

Why Vobora?

"I played a little tight end back in high school" in Eugene, Ore., Vobora explained. "It's fun to get a chance to do something like that, something you're not usually doing."

By the end of the week, though, Vobora was worn out. "I have a lot of respect for those guys," he said. "Running routes is constant acceleration; at linebacker, you kind of cruise and then you accelerate to the ball.

"It's been a little exhausting, but I was glad I was able to give these guys a good look" as the faux Witten.

Witten is the Cowboys' leading receiver, with 497 yards on 39 receptions.

JOHNSON READY

Early this past week, Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo was going to miss a month with a broken pinkie on his throwing hand. Later, it looked as if Romo would start against the Rams.

Still, veteran Brad Johnson took all the first-team snaps in practice, and Phillips won't hesitate to go with his 40-year-old backup if need be.

"He's an experienced winner," Phillips said. "There's a lot of backup quarterbacks who go in and play, but the team has to believe in the guy. A guy who has all of the experience and has won all of the games he's won and takes command like he does, has prepared to play every week, I think the team reacts positively to."

AlphaRam Guest

Re: Odds & Ends: Cowboys will have plenty of fans here

When I went to the game in St. Louis back in 2002 the season after our Super Bowl apperance, tickets were still cost $$ to get. Despite that, the Cowgirl fans were there in force. The only team that made a larger showing were the Packer fans in 2003.

prof22693 is offline Registered User

yeah, hopefully the rams fans turn out tonight to the dome. there were alotta cowboys fans out at the desert last week as well

makersncoke is offline Registered User

The bandwagon has always been a crowded place to be.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]