RamWraith is offline Registered User

Off to NFL Europe

From USA Today

—The Rams have allocated the following street free agents they have signed since the end of the season to NFL Europe: Wide receivers Michael Coleman and Rod Perry, and quarterback Russ Michna. Perry is the son of former Rams defensive back Rod Perry, who is currently an assistant coach with the Carolina Panthers. The younger Perry last played at Penn State in 2000, and has been playing minor league baseball after being drafted by the Phillies in the 12th round of the 2001 draft.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Off to NFL Europe

I was a big fan of Rod, Sr., so I hope his kid can make it.

moklerman is offline Registered User

Can anyone give me a good reason why Smoker isn't being sent over there to get some rep's? I was going to point out that the Rams never seem to send a qb over for work but I can't remember if Warner was actually allocated by the Rams or picked up after his stint in NFLE.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    Can anyone give me a good reason why Smoker isn't being sent over there to get some rep's? I was going to point out that the Rams never seem to send a qb over for work but I can't remember if Warner was actually allocated by the Rams or picked up after his stint in NFLE.
    I believe the Rams picked him up and allocated him to NFL Europe for their '98 season after failing to make any European rosters on his own. Then he returned to the Rams to be on their roster for '98.

As for why Smoker isn't being sent over there, I figure it's because he's going to be competing for the back-up job here, and I wouldn't imagine teams send their back-up QB to Europe. They'll want him here in their facility working with them, preparing there.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler

As for why Smoker isn't being sent over there, I figure it's because he's going to be competing for the back-up job here, and I wouldn't imagine teams send their back-up QB to Europe. They'll want him here in their facility working with them, preparing there.
    Yea, I believe this actually fairs better for Smoker. Martz wouldn't send their #2 QB to Europe for the off-season. If he intended to go find another veteran to take Chandler's spot, then Smoker would probably go to Europe, but not if he is the serious contender for the back-up spot.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

DJRamFan is offline Registered User

Warner would not have gone to NFLEL without an NFL team backing him because it is such a risky move.

I think sending Smoker over there would be a good thing and a bad thing. He obviously needs the experience and reps. However, guys that go over there tend to trail off on their return because they are so tired from consecutive playing with little rest time. Dane Looker went over there, then did so-so in the NFL before picking it up the following NFL season.
    DJRamFan
    ClanRam Fantasy Football Commissioner
    2003 & 2004 ClanRam Cup Champion

ClanRam

LONG LIVE MIKE MARTZ

NFL Champions: 1945, 1951
    NFC Champions: 1979, 1999, 2001
    Division Champions: 1945, 1949-1951, 1955, 1967, 1969, 1973-1979, 1985, 1999, 2001, 2003

Super Bowl XXXIV Champions

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

If this page (http://www.nfl.com/nfleurope/tvschedule) is correct and up to date for this year (or at least close to being accurate), then it's clear why Martz wouldn't send Smoker to NFL Europe.

If Smoker is going to have a legit shot at becoming the back-up, missing the dates listed as part of the NFL Europe schedule would really cut in to what he's able to do this spring and early summer with the team. He'd be missing the first mini-camp for sure, probably the second as well.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

woody1351 is offline Registered User

my boy michna from WIU is going over there he will impress a lot of ppl. hes good. lets go russ