Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: OFF TOPIC: A few words about our MODERATED message boards

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

OFF TOPIC: A few words about our MODERATED message boards

I wanted to share with you all my recent experiences at another site (Seahawks.net).

I had been a member there for a while, and had regarded it as a very good fan site where opposing fans could have good conversations about football. Unfortunately, as their team has grown more popular with its success, it now has become inundated by many younger fans who... let's just say... don't exactly engage in the highest level of discourse.

The first mistake was mine. I ventured into their "Smack Shack," thinking that it was a place for some light-hearted banter. Instead, I was attacked personally (one person went as far as to attempt to cyber-stalk me, which finally resulted in intervention by their Mods). This was a good reminder of why we don't have a smack board here anymore. I can tell you that, as a Mod, attempting to police a forum of that type is difficult, to say the least.

I then went to their NFL board and attempted to join the discussion. I posted a thread, for example, pointing out that Sam Bradford's #s this year belie the contention (frequently expressed at Seahawks.net) that he's a "bust" who needs to be replaced immediately. This prompted a wave of responses that were barely distinguishable from the Smack Shack threads (pretty much a similar tone with a bit less profanity).

Now, you all know me, and I'm not the type to just back down, so I responded to these posts with my typical blend of sarcasm and snarky comments. Maybe I should have just walked away, but at this point, I really didn't care. Ultimately, enough people complained about my responses (irony) that the Mods banned me.

My point in telling this story is not to rip the Mods at that site. Having been a Mod here, I understand that, sometimes you have to take the Bill Cosby approach to parenting (i.e. "parents aren't interested in justice... they want quiet!")

My point is to hold this up as an example of why we run things the way we do around here. As Seahawks.net shows, once you open the door to "smack," it impacts the site as a whole. Those who are more interested in acting like internet tough guys then they are in talking football will always push that envelope.

We here at ClanRam (or, more accurately, Dez) have tried to provide a site that keeps the discussion at a high level. We recognize that there is a % of fans who prefer a more "open forum," and frequent other sites as a result. That's fine with us. We would rather have a site that fans - of any team - can visit to discuss football without the fear of being attacked. We're not perfect and, at times, we Mods (myself included, certainly) must reign in ourselves to ensure that nobody feels like their views are not welcome. But I think we've done a pretty good job of meeting our goal.

If anyone from Seahawks.net is reading this, I hope you don't misunderstand. I fully respect that you run your site the way you see fit, and its not for me to say you should do things in any other way. You've built a successful site, and you can be proud of that. If I'm giving constructive criticism, its simply that you may wish to try to make your site a bit more opposing fan friendly (as it was in the past).

So, as a final note, I (and I think I speak for Dez and the other Mods) welcome you comments and suggestions, and even your criticisms. I also welcome the fans of other teams, and hope they enjoy their stay here at our little clubhouse.

That is all.

The views expressed in this post are those of AvengerRam, and do not necessarily reflect the views of ClanRam, Dez, or the other Mods.
    laram0 and bradwill like this.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: OFF TOPIC: A few words about our MODERATED message boards

Oh yea, well you can go...{MODERATOR EDIT}....yourself and the horse you rode in on, pal!!!

Actually, I'm saddened to hear that about seahawks.net. It's been a while since I've been there, but I always found them to, like us, typically eschew that sort of childish nonsense. I've always enjoyed the Hawk fans that come over here, and have found them to be delightful.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

chucknbob is offline Registered User

I know this site is very tightly moderated, and that is why I like it. There are a thousand places on the net where I can blindly insult and mock people who don't think exactly like me. It's nice to have a place where we can have adult conversations.
    RamDez, laram0 and ramsanddodgers like this.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Ultimately, enough people complained about my responses (irony) that the Mods banned me.
    Banning you seems like a bit of an extreme reaction. A warning with an explanation would have been more appropriate. I wonder if any of their members were banned for turning the discussion into a smack thread with insults and silly things like simply repeating "Bradford is trash" dozens of times?

I'm a member over there, but no longer see it as a worthwhile place to have any discussions, which is a shame because it really used to be a great site, with smart. reasonable posters.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

For the record, no warnings were provided. Its also noteworthy that a couple of Hawks fans chimed in and complained about the reaction to my post.

If any of their members wish to discuss the upcoming Rams/Hawks game on MNF, I invite them to come here. If anyone ventures to their site, expect to be subjected to a lot of noise.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Fame and success can tarnish a good reputation.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

RealRam is offline Registered User

ClanRam is one of the more civilized NFL Rams forums around, among the Top 3 Best.

Several years ago I would venture into / visit other NFL and Rams forums. Not anymore, I cannot afford the time or the annoying blabber that inundate so many other public sports sites. To me, that kind of environment, and the 'smack shacks' you wrote about, prove an overwhelming culture of crass and classless communication.

In contrast, thanks to the moderation HERE, maintained within the four walls of a ClanRam’s monitor display, there is peace of mind and interesting dialogue or news, i.e., solace and entertainment herein for the sake of one's sports world life. Assuming that at times the in-house moderation is a little excessive or seemingly wrong, I say we err on that side and not the alternative of disrespect or either foolish or selfish permissiveness.

Thank you Av, Dez and Co. of friendly Moderators for properly guarding this venue. As you said, it may be difficult at times and we may not be perfect -- just as no NFL team is, even if reflecting zero defeats -- but it is certainly gratifying to be here among good, decent people that often produce smart posts. Again, the sports arenas can be tumultuous and brutal, often marred by vulgar or vile mentalities in an overall scenario; there are rowdy characters and some riffraff to deal with, those that are on a seek and destroy mission thinking they own nuclear keyboards and supremacy in trash talk strategy (more like derelict sports writers) which pretend to be justified by going “hand in hand with a passionate fanhood”.

I am proud to nurture my loyalty to the St. Louis Rams by virtue of THIS Clan. Thusly...

"Honor a quien honor merece" [oh-KNOR ah key-en oh-KNOR meh-REH-seh].

That is, credit where credit is due.

PS: I just wish I could support this site as a fair way to give back to it.
    Last edited by RealRam; -10-19-2013 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Tyop. 'Av' vs 'AV' (sorry).
    RamDez and ramsanddodgers like this.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Av,

I got too excited. I thought you were banned from this site All kidding aside, I appreciate the message and information. Having some tough life experiences, getting so worked up over an NFL team is not on my agenda. When we are good and we will be good again, I can see the clan continuing to stand tall........
    Last edited by macrammer; -10-18-2013 at 11:25 PM.
    RamDez likes this.

citr92 is offline Registered User

yep, for an nfl forum especially

this one is by far the most civilized, not even close

and if this is a top 3...who are the other 2?
    RamDez likes this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    All kidding aside, I appreciate the massage and information.
    I appreciate a good massage from time to time as well, but Av's hands are a bit too rough for me.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I appreciate a good massage from time to time as well, but Av's hands are a bit too rough for me.
    Ah yes .. There's nothing like the voice of experience.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

There are other sites besides ClanRam?
    RamDez, RealRam and Rambunctious like this.
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    wow.....was that a Freudian slip? lol

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

I used to visit a ton of forums, but this is the only one I still come to. I love that posts don't end up as arguments all the time, and the discussion is almost always sensible and reasoned, with decent evidence been thrown back and forth

However, it does take a lot of effort for me to not respond negatively to certain comments and threads that are just stupid and unreasonable. The guy who kept saying that Bradford should be benched and we should give Austin Davis a try for example (how did that end up?)
    RamDez and RealRam like this.

Truth is offline Registered User

I joined and remian a member of this site precisely because it is moderated strictly. If I wanted to watch adults bad mouth eachother, and put forth inaccurate, inappropriate, or downright ridiculous personal attacks, I'd go watch CSPAN.

BIG thanks to Dez, and all the Mods!!!
    RamDez likes this.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast