Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Offense

Action_Jackson is offline Registered User

Offense

First post. Here goes.

I have been watching a lot of NFL Total access recently and they seem to think we will go for Jake Long in the draft. I know our o-line was a big problem for us last season, but without the injuries and the additions in the off season we are fairly strong in this position.

Our offensive-line up this year will look similar to this.

Bennett----Pace-Bell-Igcognito-Long-Barron--McMicheal------Holt
    -----------------------Bulger
    -----------------Leonard-----Jackson

That to me looks like a great offense.

We also have the option of bringing in Becht at tight end to block and create running lanes for Jackson and Bring in Dante Hall, Looker and Hagans for trick plays/or spread the field. Players like Dustin Fry and Adam Goldberg will provide good back up for the o-line. We also have Minor to come in for 3rd downs, even if it is only to block.

Am I getting carried away, or will anyone else be happy if we go into week 1 with that line up?

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Offense

First off welcome to the Clan. Don't be a stranger.

Second, having high hopes for the season isn't a bad thing. To me, that lineup really doesn't keep an DC up at night worrying about the Rams but who knows?

chiguy is offline Registered User

I don't know if it keeps a DC up at night, but it reminds me a lot of the KC Chiefs offense that was scoring a lot of points under Saunders. Strong line, great RB, good pass catching TE, and accurate QB. We don't have the FB they had, but they didn't have WR with the resume of ours.

Drummerman1011 Guest

hmmmm I like what Chiguy said. If we do get Long I see us having a great offensive year. Our Defense won't be great but at least we will be scoring points unlike last year. If we do end up going Defense then that is great too at the same time. It should be a good year.

Tony Banks Guest

The key is the health of our O line. If we avoid what happened last year, why can't the O be good? I think the addition of Saunders should help. Hopefully he has some good ideas to fix our ineptitude in the red zone.

badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

The only thing that concerns me with this roster is the RB position. This offense appears to be built to run. I know that there's Holt, Bennet, and McMicheal, but the success of this offense IMO is hinged on SJ staying healthy. That concerns me. I'm not bashing SJ, he just hasn't been healthy for the whole year but once. I don't feel like the passing game is going to be near as available as in the past. The Rams need the running game to build the passing game. I like BL, I just don't think he will scare anyone should Jackson go down. I think that based on this current offensive roster if SJ goes down the Rams will probably be picking in the top ten again next year.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Maybe not now, but soon.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by badmoforamfan View Post
    The only thing that concerns me with this roster is the RB position. This offense appears to be built to run. I know that there's Holt, Bennet, and McMicheal, but the success of this offense IMO is hinged on SJ staying healthy. That concerns me. I'm not bashing SJ, he just hasn't been healthy for the whole year but once. I don't feel like the passing game is going to be near as available as in the past. The Rams need the running game to build the passing game. I like BL, I just don't think he will scare anyone should Jackson go down. I think that based on this current offensive roster if SJ goes down the Rams will probably be picking in the top ten again next year.

You certainly raise a valid point about SJ, but there is no way for us to prepare for that in terms of adding players. He's such an incredible talent that you cannot replace him or back him up with an equivalent runner.

I like what i'm reading on the thread. There is a reason to be optimistic for next year!

Go Rams!:r

Dwight Frye is offline Registered User

I agree. God forbid anything haoppen to SJ. HOWEVER, what about Antonio Pittman? From what I saw last year (which wasn't much in terms of playing time) he's a more than capable backup. I like this guy.

Mooselini Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Frye View Post
    I agree. God forbid anything haoppen to SJ. HOWEVER, what about Antonio Pittman? From what I saw last year (which wasn't much in terms of playing time) he's a more than capable backup. I like this guy.
    I think he's got a lot to prove. Saying that, we don't have to keep Jackson out there run after run when we have a good back up in Pittman. Having two good backs is always a good thing.

I do agree, like the rest of you, that if our line stays healthy, we could have a great offense. And I'm looking forward to that.

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

I'm with you Dwight & Moose. Rams virtually stole Pittman when he was a roster casualty in New Orleans last year. For a young rb, he is smart and appears to read D's well. He's not going to turn heads the way Grant did in Green Bay, but for what the Rams pay him, I think he's a great value. If SJ goes down, I believe Pittman will be the better replacement because he has more size than Leonard and still has a good 2nd gear.

As for whom the Rams will draft- I believe a blue chip DE pick is just as much a possibility as an OL pick. It may even be the smarter pick, given Little's age and the loss of James Hall.

chiguy is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by badmoforamfan View Post
    The only thing that concerns me with this roster is the RB position.
    Of *all* thing problems with our roster, *this* is the one thing that concerns you? I find that hard to believe. If we were to make a list of roster concerns, RB would be at the bottom next to "Replace Adam Carricker."

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Welcome Action. The only thing I'd change would be a slight alteration to the O-line. Instead of....

Pace - Bell - Cogs - Long - Barron

I see....

Pace - Bell - Cogs - Setterstrom - Long

I don't think Barron has the mental toughness to rise in a competitive environment. IMO, if Jake Long is our pick, Barron is our new back-up LT.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    Of *all* thing problems with our roster, *this* is the one thing that concerns you? I find that hard to believe. If we were to make a list of roster concerns, RB would be at the bottom next to "Replace Adam Carricker."
    Let me clarify. It is not my only concern, but in the realm of offensive production it is a major concern. A lot of what I said previously is based on the forgone conclusion that the offensive line will be full of depth and hopefully (fingers crossed) healthy. Much of what I stated previously could be changed if the Rams draft a burner (WR) in the 2nd. As this team stands now (offensively), yes, RB is a major concern for me. SJ has all the tools to have a monster year like 2006, but let us not forget that was the only year he was healthy all year. I guess I can see why TX has been threating to go Cartman if the Rams don't draft a WR in the first 3 rounds. It is a must.

Defensively, wow, that is a whole other can of worms. My comments applied to this thread, the one titled Offense. There many wholes to fill throughout this roster, I'm not that naive.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Maybe not now, but soon.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

How about WR of all positions. Holt is getting up there in age now as well and Bennett is considered a overall bust even with just one year here. Other than that we have dante hall who can play some wr but we need him to stay healthy and give us great field positon all year in which he can

RamsfaninRI:( Guest

I pretty much agree, except for bennett at WR. He just seemed not to show alot of fight or effort, injuries aside. I think they need to go defense first round,Chris long would be my first choice, then WR in round 2. there are alot of quality OL later in the draft.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. -03-12-2008, 04:59 PM