Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Offense could carry Rams

Offense could carry Ramsposted: Thursday, March 22, 2007 | Feedback | Print Entry
    filed under: St. Louis Rams

By Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc.

The offseason isn't over yet, but on paper it looks like the St. Louis Rams' suspect defense will force their offense to have to put up a whole lot of points to keep the team in games. However, this just might just be the unit to do that. Second-year coach Scott Linehan had a very good offense for his system and should see an upgrade in his second season because of increased familiarity.

BulgerMarc Bulger, possibly the most underrated passer in the league, threw for over 4,300 yards last year and, most impressively, threw just eight interceptions in a new offense and in the face of a consistently heavy pass rush. Bulger has a 64.4 percent career completion percentage and could very well be the most accurate thrower in the game today. He is tough, smart and very efficient, spreads the ball around well, gets his playmakers involved and should be poised for a monster season.
    Running back Steven Jackson ran for over 1,500 yards and 13 touchdowns and is big, fast, physical back who lends toughness and physicality to what is often considered a finesse team. He is also a weapon as a pass catcher, and his versatility is invaluable. Jackson is entering the prime of his career, but as much as he can do for the Rams, they need to be careful not to overuse their star runner. The team signed Travis Minor, who Linehan is very familiar with from their time together in Miami, but it would be wise for the Rams to use a mid-round pick in the upcoming draft on the position, perhaps a player like Florida State's Lorenzo Booker, who could also help out as a returner.

Torry Holt, in my opinion, is the best wide receiver in the game today. Holt does every thing well and with uncanny consistency. His 1,188 receiving yards and 10 touchdowns were short of his usual standards, but Holt still commands a ton of attention against every team he faces and opens up space for the other wideouts. On the other side, Isaac Bruce quietly added another very good season to what should be a Hall of Fame career with 74 receptions for almost 1,100 yards -- not too shabby for a No. 2 receiver. Bruce still has the ability to exploit a defense's second cornerback, and Bulger trusts him in any situation.

BennettThe Rams lost WRs Kevin Curtis and Shaun McDonald in free agency but replaced them with Drew Bennett, a much different kind of receiver. He is a proven starter and was productive in a Tennessee offense that doesn't throw the ball as much as the Rams do. Bennett got a six-year, $30 million contract and will be used a lot. He has the size to be a red-zone threat, has good long speed and always seems to come up with a couple of huge games every season.
    St. Louis will surely use a lot of three-WR sets, but the addition of tight end Randy McMichael will lessen the need for a quality fourth receiver. McMichael has 185 catches over the last three years, and Linehan will put him in positions to succeed. The newly-signed tight end is tough and competitive -- he has not missed a game in his five-year career -- and McMichael is certainly capable of exploiting the linebacker coverage he will see with secondaries focusing on the wide receivers. McMichael and second-year man Joe Klopfenstein will allow for more two-TE sets, and Klopfenstein's size and athletic ability should help him be much-improved in 2007.

Along the line, left tackle Orlando Pace is returning from a torn triceps injury that landed him on injured reserve in November, and while he had slipped a bit even before the injury, he is still an amazing physical specimen and a great player. Even if Pace returns at 80 percent of his peak level, then Bulger's blind side will be secure. The Rams gave up 49 sacks last year -- only the three teams picking in the first three spots in the draft gave up more -- and getting Pace back will go a long way toward rectifying that problem. Alex Barron, a former first-rounder who is showing glimpses of his potential, starts at the other tackle spot, and his outstanding physical tools give him a chance to become a very good player provided he works harder on the little things.

The interior of the offensive line has been shuffled since the beginning of 2006, beginning with the signing of center Brett Romberg from Jacksonville's practice squad in September. Romberg was a pleasant surprise and looks like the starter this year, while Mark Setterstrom and Richie Incognito are young guards who have been impressive in limited opportunities.

With the exception of adding a backup for Jackson and maybe another offensive lineman, the Rams are set on offense and will be able to concentrate on the other side of the ball in the draft. Needless to say, though, the defense isn't exactly in the same shape and needs an awful lot of attention. If that unit can ever get off the field, expect the offense to put on a show in 2007.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Offense could carry Rams

This guy is right on the money. The offense is going to have to put up numbers comparable to 1999 for the Rams to enjoy the success that every team wants: playoff victories. One thing about this offense though, by running the ball more they may not let our defense on the field as much.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I hope we win most of the coin tosses at the beginning of our games ...

sprtsmac is offline Registered User

Who knows, if we can jump out with early leads and force teams to go into a passing mode; maybe our defense won't look as bad. At this time of the year, anything is possible.
    Sprtsmac :football:

RealRam is online now Registered User

Well, Williamson's positives on the Rams offense are acknowledged and appreciated, but ... we NEED the Rams DEFENSE to improve -- against the run in particular -- in order for the offense to meet those expectations and secure its success.

GO DEE!

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

I don't think the defense looks as hopeless as everybody else seems to think it does. With the new safety we acquired from Chicago we can bounce atogwe from center to cornerback. Depending on the need, thus improving the depth in the pass defense. Hall is a good pass rusher and solid against the run. Draft is one of those guys who just always makes plays, and next to Witherspoon the combo should be hell. Just throw in a good NT and the D should be improved over last years without even considering the additional upcoming draft picks......At least in theory.

MASSIVE is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mikhal5569 View Post
    I don't think the defense looks as hopeless as everybody else seems to think it does. With the new safety we acquired from Chicago we can bounce atogwe from center to cornerback. Depending on the need, thus improving the depth in the pass defense. Hall is a good pass rusher and solid against the run. Draft is one of those guys who just always makes plays, and next to Witherspoon the combo should be hell. Just throw in a good NT and the D should be improved over last years without even considering the additional upcoming draft picks......At least in theory.
    That is some theory--why would you move Atogwe to CB? Even if it was for one play that move would scare the hell out of me. I do agree that Draft will help our LB depth and with our new Safety our ST will improve!:r

Keenum is offline Registered User

Still, I'd like for the defense to be good as well. Why win games in shootouts, when we could win games in blowouts?

Quote Originally Posted by Facing-The-Giant View Post
    come on d we need you this year, because if it shows up, we will be in glendale this february.
    Yes sir!

Oh, and I am going to GUARANTEE that we WILL be playing in Glendale this season! At least one game!

sorry... couldn't resist.:x

Quote Originally Posted by Facing-The-Giant View Post
    yeah, but we rarely play the cards in febuary LOL!! 8 years Is a long time to not make the playoofs, I fell bad for them..... NOT!!
    Dang... had to think about it, but it HAS been a long time since they last got in.

eldfan is offline Registered User

"Running back Steven Jackson ran for over 1,500 yards and 13 touchdowns and is big, fast, physical back who lends toughness and physicality to what is often considered a finesse team. He is also a weapon as a pass catcher, and his versatility is invaluable. Jackson is entering the prime of his career, but as much as he can do for the Rams, they need to be careful not to overuse their star runner. "

No doubt Jackson is the man. With him being as physical as he is, he would be prone to injuries. Backs do not have a long shelf life. I hope rams are smart how they use him.
    :ramlogo:

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Don't write the defense, or the Rams FO's desire to adress the defense yet. They made the right calls in not signing anyone that would have broken their piggy bank.

Clements got a huge amount. Is he worth that much?
    How would you feel if we ponied up that much money for a similar defensive player, who is capitalising on a poor FA class?

I want to see these guys in September before I make any judgements.

eldfan is offline Registered User

The defense is still being form. One thing I believe you never know how a unit will preform from one year to the next that's why they play the game. But right now i'm not optimistic.
    :ramlogo:

RANDYRAM Guest

I hope that bulger can get off to better starts! Like when kurt was here.Those fast starts made it a lot thougher on the other teams !! Remember when we jumped out on indy we were kicking some butt!! But mark got hurt and we were done. Man I thought we going to win we sacked manning for first time all year we had it going!!

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

All I know is, I'm getting really tired of reading article after article of these so called experts talking trash about how bad our defense is. This is the first year since the GSOT era where the FO really went out there and made some really smart pickups. I don't expect the defense to show up looking like the bears or somebody, but lets at least give these new guys a chance. I for one extremely optimistic about this teams future this year, both offensively and defensively. I really wish some of you nay sayers on this site would at least give are new guys a chance to prove themselves before passing such a harsh judgment on them. Because there will plenty of experts out there to remind me how bad are defense is as soon as the season starts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast