Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Offensive and Defensive Coordinators

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Offensive and Defensive Coordinators

Do we stick with ours? IMO there are 2 great candidates for OC and DC that we should absolutely pounce on, because as everyone knows it starts from the top and works it's way down.

For defensive coordinator I'd absolutely go after Jim Schwartz, who's going to be fired tomorrow. He comes from the Fisher tree and they know each other very well with Schwartz being a former DC for Jeff Fisher, as well as a position coach. He brings a lot of grit and experience, as well as big time continuity with Fisher. Schwartz would be a top of the class hire, especially considering how bad the defense looked at times under Tim Walton.

The offensive coordinator that I'd want is Rob Chudzinski, who just got fired from the Browns today as their HC. He was an OC with the Panthers for a few years and had some extremely productive years. I actually wanted Chud a few years back as an OC/HC here. I would have preferred as an OC but he was clearly headed to be an HC candidate. Anyways, here he is available. I don't think Schotty is bad per se, but if we can make a big improvement why wouldn't we? Schotty has been mediocre his entire career, and has had almost NO idea how to use Tavon. Outside of maybe 1 or 2 plays his inability to work with the most explosive playmaker we have is inexcusable. As I said when I created that "Would you trade Tavon" thread, either Schotty goes and we get a new OC, or Austin will never truly be utilized and his production will never be maximized. With a OC like Chud I believe our offense would hit new levels not to mention the plays for Tavon.

What do you guys think?

THE DREAM TEAM

Mikey is offline Registered User

Re: Offensive and Defensive Coordinators

I would be very surprised if we change any this off season. It seems Fisher redirected each of them to the course he wants them on partway through the year.

Shotty became more conservative and emphasized the running game to fit with Fisher. Also it was well documented that he took a heavier hand in the game planning of the defense. That being said if there are struggles next year or they try to go away from what he wants I wouldn't be shocked to see either let go in the season.

GroundChuck is offline Registered User

I would not mind replacing Walton with Schwartz. I am so on the fence with Schotty. Do we want to have Sam go through another OC?
    ManofGod likes this.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

If we plan on firing Schotty, then I hope we get Norv Turner. The system is similar but more Coryell-oriented, verbiage-wise. As for DC, Jim Schwartz is a good hire.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

Rambos is online now Registered User

Jim Schwartz, has been fired. He will be paid 12 million not to coach the lions in 2014. I would like to add him as an Assistant Coach not the DC. He can take a year from being under pressure and help Walton develop as a DC. If Walton can't handle it then we make the move the following year.

As far a OC, I think we stay the course. Now that we found a running game to build around we should be fine with Shotty. The last thing we need is Bradford coming back from an ACL and having to learn a new system.
    mde8352gorams likes this.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

I would very much like Jim Schwartz to be hired as our new DC... Him & Fish put up a consistently good defense together yearly in Tenn.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I would be shocked to see either coordinator let go. Look at Fisher's history. He is nothing, if not loyal to his coordinators. When he has to make a coordinator change, it's because they have "graduated" on to a bigger job. He rarely forces out one of his coordinators or one of his under-assistants, for that matter.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

I would be very surprised to see Schottenheimer fired. While the Rams' offense did not fare that well from a statistical standpoint, I think the team did a pretty good job of developing an "identity" on offense despite the injuries to Sam Bradford and 3 of the 5 opening day OL starters (4 if you count Jake Long's late season injury).

On defense, while I do think that Jeff Fisher would have some interest in re-associating with Jim Schwartz, I don't think he'd fire Walton to do so. Perhaps, if Dave McGinnis were to "retire," Fisher might consider Schwartz for the position of Assistant Head Coach while retaining Walton as DC.

hawaiianpunch is offline Registered User

I wouldn't mind having Jim Schwartz as our DC. But I think we have what we need to start moving forward. The main thing is bolstering our O-line and Keep Bradford healthy. I think then things will fall into place. I do hate however that we play soft man/zone coverage. I love straight up man to man defense, if we can't do that we need new CB's. But first we have to draft Guards, cause we were getting plastered by the Seahawks and the ***** up the middle im pretty sure also that is credited to our injuries. If anything Jim Schwartz can come, but i don't think we did to bad this year did we? Considering we missed sammy.
    Last edited by hawaiianpunch; -12-30-2013 at 02:27 PM.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Jim Schwartz, has been fired. He will be paid 12 million not to coach the lions in 2014. I would like to add him as an Assistant Coach not the DC. He can take a year from being under pressure and help Walton develop as a DC. If Walton can't handle it then we make the move the following year.

As far a OC, I think we stay the course. Now that we found a running game to build around we should be fine with Shotty. The last thing we need is Bradford coming back from an ACL and having to learn a new system.
    For me, that begs the question: do the Lions have to pay him if he accepts another NFL coaching position? It may be in his contract that he can't accept a coaching gig with another team without forfeiting his paycheck from Detroit. Just curious ..

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

As Rambos said, we're not going to ask Sam to rehab his knee and learn a new offensive system simultaneously. Schotty will remain as he hasn't done anything to require his dismissal.

With Schwartz, yes he and Fisher have a history, I'm just uncomfortable with level of discipline, or lack thereof he allowed while coaching Detroit.

On both counts I think we stand still.

Go Rams!
    live4ramin, ManofGod and Haste like this.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    For me, that begs the question: do the Lions have to pay him if he accepts another NFL coaching position? It may be in his contract that he can't accept a coaching gig with another team without forfeiting his paycheck from Detroit. Just curious ..
    It's 12 million for the last two years on his deal.

By Will Brinson | NFL Writer
    December 30, 2013 12:05 pm ET
    Schwartz was with the Lions for five seasons and took Detroit back to the playoffs. The Lions will be eating $12 million in salary for the remainder of Schwartz' contract, which was recently extended.
    I'm not sure if a team hires him he would forfeit his monies due. I doubt that is in his contract. Maybe if the Rams hired him and paid him 2 million then the Lions would owe him 10 Mil. I could see that.

To my point he's getting paid like a HC, why not take an assistance job and wait for the next best job and still get paid!
    MauiRam likes this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    As Rambos said, we're not going to ask Sam to rehab his knee and learn a new offensive system simultaneously. Schotty will remain as he hasn't done anything to require his dismissal.

With Schwartz, yes he and Fisher have a history, I'm just uncomfortable with level of discipline, or lack thereof he allowed while coaching Detroit.

On both counts I think we stand still.

Go Rams!
    Who are we kidding here? It's evident Fisher doesn't know how to control his teams emotions either. Fisher and Schwartz have undeniable similarities. Fishers teams have had no more of a level of discipline than Schwartz's have. We consistently are at the top of the penalties category year in and year out. And this is the 3rd game this season where we've had our players completely forget the task at hand and rather focus on fighting (Panthers, *****, Seahawks).

THE DREAM TEAM

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Who are we kidding here? It's evident Fisher doesn't know how to control his teams emotions either. Fisher and Schwartz have undeniable similarities. Fishers teams have had no more of a level of discipline than Schwartz's have. We consistently are at the top of the penalties category year in and year out. And this is the 3rd game this season where we've had our players completely forget the task at hand and rather focus on fighting (Panthers, *****, Seahawks).

As a coach myself, I believe in discipline. I don't want to root for a team that can't show poise at critical times because ultimately, those guys will let you down at the worst possible moment. At the same time, each situation is different; some teams have poor discipline because of a lack of leadership (Schwartz), while others have it because their head coach promotes it. In the Rams' case, I think youth and immaturity are big factors- ones which need to be worked out immediately, because if this occurs throughout next season, I will slam Fisher and company big time. For now, I think we must recognize it for what it is- the byproduct of youth.

As far as coordinators go, I do not share the same critical view of Schottenheimer and Walton that others have. Schottenheimer did a decent job this season under tough circumstances. The offensive line performed better than expected and the running game emerged. Clemens was put in situations where he had a fighting chance to succeed. The play calling opened up a bit with the occasional reverse or trick play sprinkled in from time to time. In my opinion, he did nothing to warrant getting replaced. And at the end of the day, there's a lot to be said for continuity.

Walton presented a mixed bag. On one hand, great production was maintained by the defensive line and by the linebackers; Ogletree for one had a very good rookie season. On the flip side, the secondary wasn't great, and I think Walton's schemes (extra cushion between corner and receiver)were more reflective of the personnel than a lack of knowledge on his part. Of much greater significance is whether or not Fisher became more hands-on towards the defense the second half of the season and whether he is dissatisfied with Walton. Time will tell.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I wasn't only commenting on on-field discipline, but also off-field stuff.

Go Rams!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast