DistantRam Guest

Offensive line 2009

With what five starters would you like to see the Rams open the season? Many people want to see a franchise left tackle taken in this month's draft, in order to replace Orlando Pace and because they feel that Alex Barron simply isn't good enough. However, there are plenty of people who want us to draft Aaron Curry in the first round- does that mean that we grab the best remaining OT in round two or do we trade back into round one to select someone who may slip a bit, like Michael Oher or Andre Smith?

I'm going to assume that we can't negotiate any trades and that we have to pick where we currently are in the draft.

That being the case, I'd go for Curry in the first round and one of Laurinaitis, Beckwith or Brinkley in round two. I really think that our linebackers are the weakest part of our team, Will Witherspoon excepted, and we have a chance to make our LB ranks the best in the league for many years to come in this draft.

Add to that the fact that both Monroe (injury record) and Jason Smith (weak legs and iffy technique) have the kind of doubts about them that make you wonder if they're real blue chip tackle prospects and I'd go against selecting our franchise tackle of the future this year. Barron has played well enough when he has replaced Big O in the past and the 2010 draft will have players like Russell Okung, Trent Williams, Ciron Black and (if he comes out a year early) Bryan Bulaga as viable LT options.

I'd like to see us give Roy Schuening and John Greco their chance; both were considered good value in last year's draft and have had a year of experience in the squad. Greco played well when he came on, while Schuening didn't feature but was plagued by niggling injuries. All of the draft sites said that Schuening was a real rough, tough, guard- the type of player the new regime is apparently very keen on developing. We are a young team building for the future, so let's give these guys a go.

Jacob Bell can stay at left guard: he simply isn't big enough to play tackle and he should do much better with Jason Brown to his right than he did with the hardworking but hapless Nick Leckey at centre.

We still need a back-up centre (we should be able to get one in round three or even later, if necessary) and I'd like to see Richie Incognito traded (the fact that we can't find anyone interested in him surely speaks volumes- who wants a player who denigrates the fans, gives away loads of penalties and has a discipline problem.... apart from various Clan Ram members, that is?) and Mark Setterstrom back in the fold after his injury.

When all's said and done, I'd like to see us enter the 2009 season with this OL in place:

LT: Barron
    LG: Bell
    C: Brown
    RG: Schuening
    RT: Greco

We'd then have Goldberg and Setterstrom as experienced back-ups and we could either draft a back-up centre and guard in the later rounds or acquire them through free agency after the 1st June cuts are made.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Offensive line 2009

how about drafting Beatty (to compete with Barron this year and eventually take over from him,next year if not this) in the 2nd and Garrett Reynolds to play RT in the 4th or 5th?

that would leave say

Beatty/Barron
    Greco/Bell
    Brown/?
    Cogs/Schuening
    Reynolds/Barron

a player in his contract year should have to prove himself if he wants an extension so give the starting jobs to the rookies at OT going into Camp and the Pre-season and if he cant beat any of them out then we will know for sure how much heart Barron really has for the game!

that would free up Curry in the 1st and if they really want to add two LB`s then either Scott McKillop in the 3rd or have a flyer on a probable late round pick in a guy i think has some good potential for the SAM position in Lee Robinson out of Alcon St. and use the 3rd on WR Iglesies and the 4th on NT Terrence Taylor out of Michigan.

id probably pick up a cheap free agent C ..tho what exactly happened to the old Clemson boy Dustin Fry?? seems to have vanished off the face of the earth..if he is still on our roster but was just in Linnys "dog house" then id say give him a proper go at the back up C spot...Linnys opinion of a player should not be held against him now!

i agree on Schuening...was a fan of his from his college days(tho i was also a Cogs fan when he played in College too so take what you want from that..).i actually had us picking Roy in the 3rd in my mock so was delighted when we got him in the 5th..he played his senior year with re-occuring pneumonia and yet still didnt miss a game..his play was perhaps hindered by that to a degree but theres no doubting he`s a warrior and i believe without the pneumonia problems he would have gone a hell of a lot higher than the 5th round..IMO!
    Last edited by Ramblin` Ram; -04-13-2009 at 06:06 AM.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

one player im gonna be watching closely to see if he falls is OG Kraig Urbik out of Wisconsin!
    im a big fan of his but also understand the situation with team needs in other positions ....
    however,if we should fill the most crucial positions and he falls and is still there in say the 4th or 5th..id love to see us draft him!

whoever gets him i believe will get a very good blue collar mauler of a guard they can rely on for the next decade and more...and although we look deep at OG.... with the question marks over Bell,Cogs & Setterstrom..that depth could be gone by next year.
    Last edited by Ramblin` Ram; -04-13-2009 at 06:48 AM.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

LT - Monroe
    LG - Bell
    C - Brown
    RG - Herman Johnson
    RT - Greco

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I'd like to see Greco break out this year. I thought he was the best pick of the draft last season for the Rams.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

LT-Barron
    LG-Bell
    C-Brown
    RG-Cogs/Setterstrom/Greco
    RT-Greco/Goldberg/Bell... however if Laurinitis is off the board and Beatty is there, this would be his spot.

Perhaps I have too much faith in Barron, but IMHO if nothing else we have plenty of depth at the interior positions, and I'm sure a few of those guards could play tackle.

Witherspoon, Laurinitis, Curry= a linebacking corp that can finally stop the run.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DistantRam View Post
    When all's said and done, I'd like to see us enter the 2009 season with this OL in place:

The problem with this list is that the Rams have repeatedly stated that J. Greco's best position is at Guard. To my knowledge he has not played one down at Tackle in training camp or the perseason or the regular season. My point is that the Rams have stayed true to their word and from all appearances Greco will stay at guard. Also, I don't think it's quite time to throw Cogs under a bus. Let Spags make that call after he's had a chance to work with him.

WHAT SAY YE?

RealRam is offline Registered User

Thanks Distant for this all important matter ... this year's OL!

My starting lineup:

RG: Incognito

Greco does remain to see if coaches settle him mainly at OT or G but I'm guessing he will take RT for now.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Thanks Distant for this all important matter ... this year's OL!

My starting lineup:

RG: Incognito

Greco does remain to see if coaches settle him mainly at OT or G but I'm guessing he will take RT for now.
    You know, if the front office and coaching staff go into the season with that offense line.....or even make up their mind that that's the O line going into draft day......I could live with a Curry draft pick at Round 1. Any O line with Goldberg on it as a starter screams OT in Round 1.

jbell15 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DistantRam View Post
    With what five starters would you like to see the Rams open the season? Many people want to see a franchise left tackle taken in this month's draft, in order to replace Orlando Pace and because they feel that Alex Barron simply isn't good enough. However, there are plenty of people who want us to draft Aaron Curry in the first round- does that mean that we grab the best remaining OT in round two or do we trade back into round one to select someone who may slip a bit, like Michael Oher or Andre Smith?

I'm going to assume that we can't negotiate any trades and that we have to pick where we currently are in the draft.

That being the case, I'd go for Curry in the first round and one of Laurinaitis, Beckwith or Brinkley in round two. I really think that our linebackers are the weakest part of our team, Will Witherspoon excepted, and we have a chance to make our LB ranks the best in the league for many years to come in this draft.

Add to that the fact that both Monroe (injury record) and Jason Smith (weak legs and iffy technique) have the kind of doubts about them that make you wonder if they're real blue chip tackle prospects and I'd go against selecting our franchise tackle of the future this year. Barron has played well enough when he has replaced Big O in the past and the 2010 draft will have players like Russell Okung, Trent Williams, Ciron Black and (if he comes out a year early) Bryan Bulaga as viable LT options.

I'd like to see us give Roy Schuening and John Greco their chance; both were considered good value in last year's draft and have had a year of experience in the squad. Greco played well when he came on, while Schuening didn't feature but was plagued by niggling injuries. All of the draft sites said that Schuening was a real rough, tough, guard- the type of player the new regime is apparently very keen on developing. We are a young team building for the future, so let's give these guys a go.

Jacob Bell can stay at left guard: he simply isn't big enough to play tackle and he should do much better with Jason Brown to his right than he did with the hardworking but hapless Nick Leckey at centre.

We still need a back-up centre (we should be able to get one in round three or even later, if necessary) and I'd like to see Richie Incognito traded (the fact that we can't find anyone interested in him surely speaks volumes- who wants a player who denigrates the fans, gives away loads of penalties and has a discipline problem.... apart from various Clan Ram members, that is?) and Mark Setterstrom back in the fold after his injury.

We'd then have Goldberg and Setterstrom as experienced back-ups and we could either draft a back-up centre and guard in the later rounds or acquire them through free agency after the 1st June cuts are made.
    Dude i like the out of the box thinking, and i'm all for Curry too, but if we come out of the first two rounds without a tackle were digging our own grave. It just won't work out with a combo of barron and either bell/greco, who are both better at guard. I've stated before that i think Barron can play LT, but no one on our team right now can play RT at an above average level except Barron.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

I do also want to add that I think Loadholt would be a beast at right tackle. The guy is massive. If character concerns haven't already scratched him off our list, I think he would give us the size and strength we have been looking for at RT. If we could grab him in the third round I would be ecstatic. What a tremendous draft that would be huh? Curry, Laurinaitis, Loadholt, Barden... Thats three starters right there and a big red zone threat. I doubt all those guys will fall in our laps, but you never know with the draft.

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

well, here's to hoping Greco steps up- it'd be great if he could work the OT position in the nfl the same way he did in college, but even when he was drafted, he was projected as an interior guy.... hmmm, i wonder.

also wouldn't mind Scheuning in there, but i'd like to see him get some nfl rep's before i jump on any bandwagon with his name on it.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    I do also want to add that I think Loadholt would be a beast at right tackle. The guy is massive. If character concerns haven't already scratched him off our list, I think he would give us the size and strength we have been looking for at RT.
    the way i read billy d's quote.... i think if you're even wondering whether Loadhold's character concerns have scratched him off the list... then he probably is!

flying t-bird Guest

lt j smith/ monroe
    lg bell
    c brown
    rg greco
    rt barron

plain and simple

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

LT - Barron (cause he has experience, and a contract year may motivate him)
    LG - Bell (needs to step it up, Shoenig or Cogs can go here if he doesn't)
    C - Brown
    RG - Greco (It's his time, he's the future here, Shoen.. Cogs and Stetterstrom relieve)
    RT - J. Smith or Monroe (get used to the NFL speed and power, get ready for LT)

That's my guess. Maybe flop the tackles to keep from having so much youth on the right side.
    Semper Fi!

DistantRam Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    The problem with this list is that the Rams have repeatedly stated that J. Greco's best position is at Guard.
    That was under the old regime, though. Spags and his staff might see things differently.