robot is offline Registered User

The offensive line

Now that Jason Smith has come back from an injury riddled season, and the signing of vets like brown who brings in more experience to the line, what's your thought on how the OL is going to be in the next 5 years? Most importantly, I think that when Sam Bradford prospered at OU, it was because of the talented line(even though Sam was obviously part of the success). All of the wide receivers that Sam has thrown to at OU, they are not doing well in the NFL(Malcolm Kelly,Juaquin Iglesias). Trent Williams, who was an OL at OU with Sam Bradford, is doing an excellent job being an LT for the Redskins. Do you think that Sam would benefit mostly from having a talented line or a great receiver corps?
    Last edited by robot; -09-10-2010 at 12:08 PM.

3STL9 is offline Registered User

Re: The offensive line

My thoughts on the O-line will be known after the first half of the season. Right now it looks promising. I think we are set for years, but lets see how they do out on the field first.

I also think we might end up having saffold at LT and Smith at RT for years. wouldnt that be crazy?

Alec22 is offline Registered User

i thought when drafted that they were going to switch saffold to LT and keep smith at RT but overall I am VERY happy with the OLine this staff has put together. Brown a top 3-5 Center, jacob bell, good depth from vets, 2 young should be stud tackles. very pleased.

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by robot View Post
    Now that Jason Smith has come back from an injury riddled season, and the signing of vets like brown who brings in more experience to the line, what's your thought on how the OL is going to be in the next 5 years? Most importantly, I think that when Sam Bradford prospered at OU, it was because of the talented line(even though Sam was obviously part of the success). All of the wide receivers that Sam has thrown to at OU, they are not doing well in the NFL(Malcolm Kelly,Juaquin Iglesias). Trent Williams, who was an OL at OU with Sam Bradford, is doing an excellent job being an LT for the Redskins. Do you think that Sam would benefit mostly from having a talented line or a great receiver corps?
    Obviously having great receivers is a good thing for any qb. That said, I don't think great receivers can off set a mediocre O-line. Our starting O-line seems to have promise, but if either Smith or Saffold sustain an injury, we'll be in deep kim chee ..

berg8309 is offline Registered User

It's not a bad thing to have a great RT either, a lot of the best pass rushers line up to that side. Having a poor RT can lead to a lot of sacks, it's just not as dangerous as letting your QB get hit from the blindside.

I think our O-line will play very well if it is stays healthy. Give Bradford time and Jackson space and I think our offense can do some good things.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

We could always just trade for Trent Williams, Duke Robinson, and Phil Loadholt.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

We look like we are starting to gell and I like our starters. We have pretty good interior depth with Fraley and Grecco. The problem is we have literally zero depth at tackle.We have Golberg the starting RG as depth and Smith could shift to the left side if Saffold went down. Needless to say there would be a lot of shuffling hurting the little continuity we have, because our 3rd tackle Foster I dare someone to say they know about him without looking him up online

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    We look like we are starting to gell and I like our starters. We have pretty good interior depth with Fraley and Grecco. The problem is we have literally zero depth at tackle.We have Golberg the starting RG as depth and Smith could shift to the left side if Saffold went down. Needless to say there would be a lot of shuffling hurting the little continuity we have, because our 3rd tackle Foster I dare someone to say they know about him without looking him up online

What's Foster's first name again?

I'm assuming we're probably going to sign a veteran OT pretty soon.