Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By NJ Ramsfan1

Thread: The Offensive Line

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

The Offensive Line

I've read several posts concerning our offensive line, specifically regarding its culpability for Bradford's recent injury. We have got to stop blaming the offensive line for all of our recent woes, because quite frankly, the charges are baseless. They've been ridiculously maligned, and the numbers tell a different story.

The Rams ranked 8th in sacks allowed last year with 36- damn respectable. They also run blocked well enough so that an unproven guy named Zac Stacy ran for almost 1000 yards despite not starting until several games into the season. Those two stats alone dispel the nonsense that the Rams O-line is terrible. It isn't.

Moreover, the Eagles were 25th in the NFL in sacks allowed, yet Nick Foles- a complete unknown- threw for 27 TDs and just 2 ints. Joe Flacco threw for 3900 yards despite Baltimore ranking 28th. And Ryan Tannehill still was able to throw for nearly 4000 yards and stay relatively healthy despite absorbing more sacks than any other QB in 2013.

Does an offensive line share culpability when the offense sputters? Of course it does. They are the keys to a QB being able to operate at full efficiency. But this notion that the Rams line is the root of all evil is patently ridiculous.

Let's face it: Sam Bradford is brittle. I like him, glad we drafted him, rooted for him, believed he'd be the guy to lead us and felt he was on the verge of big things. I also thought he'd bounce back from last year's injury. It didn't happen. And we'll never know whether or not Bradford will be what we hoped he'd be- at least not in a Rams' uniform. It's a terrible shame- but it is not the fault of the offensive line.
    laram0 and macrammer like this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: The Offensive Line

The Rams OL isn't terrible, true. The Rams OL is not the root of all evil.

But it MUST improve. And I hope and trust it will. Starting NOW.

IMO, that flop of a block by JLong gave our OL an instant, perhaps unfair yet temporary, BAD reputation.

The fact that Roger Saffold is still pending to prove he's durable, the fact that Barrett Jones is still pending to prove he's durable, and particularly, the fact that Jake Long himself is pending to prove he'll return to top form (after almost being the one and main culprit of Bradford's 2nd devastation in a row due to injury), leaves several questions to be answered, in addition of course, to the other tackles, guards and centers.

Like yourself, I too rooted for Sam Bradford from day one and was really looking forward to this year being his best so far as the Rams QB. And I agree, now that the season-ending injury is a couple of days past, it falls more "on him" than on the line of protection.

I believe now we can look forward to the Rams OL committing to step up and improve both on their pass protection as well as in the running game.

This new, adverse saga on Sam Bradford still hurts so much. It's the NFL. It must be hurting our OL too.

Last edited by RealRam; -08-25-2014 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Speleen