Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Offensive line nuggets from Pro Football Weekly

Dec. 26, 2006
    A year ago at this time, despite the fact he was limited by a right-wrist injury that required a brace, the future looked pretty bright for Claude Terrell, who seemed to have settled in nicely as the Rams’ starting left guard in his rookie season. But after he went against rookie head coach Scott Linehan’s wishes and opted not to get surgery on his wrist after reinjuring it in training camp and then being placed on injured reserve in late August, we hear there’s a very strong possibility that Terrell’s days as a Ram are numbered, in no small part due to the steady improvement that rookie Mark Setterstrom has continued to make as the starting left guard this season. With a little more refinement in his pass protection, we’re told the Rams believe Setterstrom could become a bona fide force to reckon with.

Dec. 18, 2006
    One Rams player who can be expected to give his all the remainder of the season is third-year pro Brett Romberg, who we hear could be getting a serious audition for the starting center job in 2007. Our sources tell us the Rams like what they’ve seen of the tenacious but somewhat undersized Romberg, who was signed off Jacksonville’s practice squad Sept. 12. Richie Incognito, the starting center much of the season, is expected to finish out the year at what has always been considered his natural position, right guard, where he will get most of the playing time over veteran Adam Timmerman, who has been laboring lately with three broken ribs. As for Timmerman, currently on the books for a $2.2 million salary next season, we hear the end of his very distinguished career with the Rams may be in sight.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Re: Offensive line nuggets from Pro Football Weekly

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Dec. 26, 2006
    A year ago at this time, despite the fact he was limited by a right-wrist injury that required a brace, the future looked pretty bright for Claude Terrell, who seemed to have settled in nicely as the Rams’ starting left guard in his rookie season. But after he went against rookie head coach Scott Linehan’s wishes and opted not to get surgery on his wrist after reinjuring it in training camp and then being placed on injured reserve in late August, we hear there’s a very strong possibility that Terrell’s days as a Ram are numbered, in no small part due to the steady improvement that rookie Mark Setterstrom has continued to make as the starting left guard this season. With a little more refinement in his pass protection, we’re told the Rams believe Setterstrom could become a bona fide force to reckon with.

Dec. 18, 2006
    One Rams player who can be expected to give his all the remainder of the season is third-year pro Brett Romberg, who we hear could be getting a serious audition for the starting center job in 2007. Our sources tell us the Rams like what they’ve seen of the tenacious but somewhat undersized Romberg, who was signed off Jacksonville’s practice squad Sept. 12. Richie Incognito, the starting center much of the season, is expected to finish out the year at what has always been considered his natural position, right guard, where he will get most of the playing time over veteran Adam Timmerman, who has been laboring lately with three broken ribs. As for Timmerman, currently on the books for a $2.2 million salary next season, we hear the end of his very distinguished career with the Rams may be in sight.
    Well after reading this article, Nick, do you still think the Rams should go out and pursue a FA like Steinbach or Dielman? Part of me says YES! Then another part says NO!, save the money for the defense and/or draft a Blalock or Beekman this year. You see, I'm still not sold on Romberg as the long-term solution and maybe we should still be looking for an upgrade at center. Also, should Romberg fail to hold the position, then The Cog might have to be moved back to center and that creates a hole at Rt. Guard. Man-o-man, dilemma, dilemma.

WHAT SAY YE?

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Well after reading this article, Nick, do you still think the Rams should go out and pursue a FA like Steinbach or Dielman? Part of me says YES! Then another part says NO!, save the money for the defense and/or draft a Blalock or Beekman this year. You see, I'm still not sold on Romberg as the long-term solution and maybe we should still be looking for an upgrade at center. Also, should Romberg fail to hold the position, then The Cog might have to be moved back to center and that creates a hole at Rt. Guard. Man-o-man, dilemma, dilemma.
    Honestly I'm just tired of watching this team coast through the offseason with minimal personnel improvements to the offensive line because they feel they're okay only to watch the line continue to struggle when the regular season comes around.

We've given up 40+ sacks for more seasons than I can recall and despite what was supposed to be more emphasis on pass protection in our new scheme the numbers don't seem to show it. We have some promising young players that have emerged, more towards season's end, but I don't think that should stop us from bringing someone in. Maybe these guys do develop into quality starters for years to come, but frankly I'm tired of crossing my fingers and banking on what we have.

bigredman is offline Registered User

Very good or great offensive linemen are few and far between. We have what could be a great running back, great and very good receivers, and what many say is an underrated quarterback who could be demonstratively a star in the NFL if he could be kept off his back or time to throw.

Now maybe, as the team sources say, these young guys coming up are the real deal, but really, what do you expect the team to say about them. Of course they are going to be optimistic. However, when I hear "undersized but tenacious", I think "trying to get by". We need to pursue one or two proven great or very good linemen (guard, center) through free agency. Get them now, because in a couple of years we'll be looking for receivers, running backs, and possibly a quarterback.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]