psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Offensive line settles in

Offensive Line Settles In
    Tuesday, August 30, 2005

By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

After declaring this week’s starting offensive line his starters for the season, barring injury of course, coach Mike Martz was pleased with the way the unit performed in its first appearance together this season.
    The Rams have cycled through a laundry list of combinations along the line that has included everyone from rookies to veterans in new positions to Blaine Saipaia, well, just about everywhere.
    But when St. Louis sent out Orlando Pace (left tackle), Tom Nütten (left guard), Andy McCollum (center), Adam Timmerman (right guard) and Rex Tucker (right tackle) as the starting line, it was the first time this year the group got to play together.
    Of course, this year doesn’t equal forever for a group that has four members that have played and played well together.
    “This is the line that we are going to play the season with and this is the first time together,” Martz said. “That’s why we left them in to get them into playing shape. These guys have been playing together for a lot of years now. This is the first time we have had that group together healthy. I thought they played really well.”
    The numbers bear out Martz’s point. The offense racked up 453 yards, most of which came with the starting unit in there. It wasn’t until late in the third quarter that the starting line went to the bench, but the skill position guys were out a little sooner.
    It didn’t take long for the group to establish dominance in the ground game as Tucker blasted open a seam on the right side for running back Steven Jackson. Jackson scooted 64 yards down the sideline and the 37-13 route was on.
    For Pace, Nütten, McCollum and Timmerman, it seemed like old times again as that group made up four/fifths of the starting line in the 2001 Super Bowl. Even the addition of Tucker doesn’t seem so strange considering how similar he is to brother Ryan Tucker.
    “When you talk to Rex, the similarities are there,” Nütten said. “The way they look, the way they play. The big thing is it doesn’t matter who plays as long as we get the job done.”
    Perhaps no player’s performance against the Lions was more impressive than that of Nütten. His return gives the Rams a solid pass blocker next to Pace and another veteran of which Martz feels comfortable with in the starting lineup.
    “You can’t have guys on your team this many years that play at that level that have been through so many good things and not have some allegiance or get attached to them,” Martz said.
    As long as the group can stay healthy and continue to play at the level it did Monday night, that attachment will be easy.

My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

Re: Offensive line settles in

Seeing this in the game and hearing it from the press really excites me.With a very good o-line so much greatness will come.The D looking real good last nite gave me back hope of a 12-4 season,and we will own the west.Our biggest nemesis will be the Falcons and the Eagles."Hope we can get over that Hump".

sbramfan is offline Registered User

Falcons and Eagles will definitely be the test. Up until this game, I have been stating that I hadn't seen enough improvement to think this team can stand toe to toe with the Falcons, but I am coming around after that performance. Let's hope there's many more like that to come.

Barron will come into play somewhere down the road and will be an asset.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

This may be an overreaction to a PRE-SEASON game against DETROIT (Most losses over last 4 years in NFL or some such horrible stat).

Tucker got bull rushed right into Bulger for a Sack and in that same game Bulger was on the ground holding his wrist from another shot.

In the Paper, we're great... On film, we have much improvement needed at that ORT position. In 4 weeks, our
    ORT will be going up against Mike Strahan (NYG).

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano
    This may be an overreaction to a PRE-SEASON game against DETROIT (Most losses over last 4 years in NFL or some such horrible stat).

Tucker got bull rushed right into Bulger for a Sack and in that same game Bulger was on the ground holding his wrist from another shot.

In the Paper, we're great... On film, we have much improvement needed at that ORT position. In 4 weeks, our
    ORT will be going up against Mike Strahan (NYG).
    I think Martz knows this,or at least I hope he does
    putting guys in the backfield like Goodspeed or Hedge**** can help shore up some of that penetration.We will have to see.