Page 21 of 35 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast
Like Tree410Likes

Thread: The Official Michael Sam "Off-the-Field" Thread

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Re: The Official Michael Sam "Off-the-Field" Thread

It was probably Sam Bradford, getting distracted as every time he hears someone talking about "Sam" he turns thinking they were talking about him
    AvengerRam likes this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I'm younger than Michael Sam and even I know that was a terrible decision. There's a difference between being young and dumb. He should have seen how this same thing affected fellow draftee A.J McCarron badly and should have taken the signs.
    Its easy to be an armchair quarterback.

I think we have to also consider the fact that Michael Sam's opportunity to "cash in" on his football career may be very short. While I hope and expect he will do everything he can to make the team and earn an NFL salary, he has to be mindful of the fact that he could find himself unemployed come September. Given that reality, I can see how it would be tempting for him to make some money now by agreeing to do the Oprah show.

I agree that, from a P.R. standpoint, he should have done a better job of announcing the show. By making the announcement right after he sat in a press conference and stated that he just wants to be known as a football player, he invited the criticism he is now receiving.

Again, the key is for him to learn from this mistake.
    Fargo Ram Fan and sosa39rams like this.

demiurge is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    Why not get back on topic instead of bludgeoning Christianity?
    Because this, is irredeemably linked to this:

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam
    The fact that I abhor and loath gay ways is different simply because of the exceedingly sinful (also bible language) nature of being gay, because its diametrically opposed view on the nature of man, its denial of morality, and its rejection of what is holy [and please, don't start with the frail claim that moral people automatically act "holier than thou"]. ...THAT's my stance, this type of character and conduct, contrary to the moral views of decency, honor, principle, and virtue ... is what I find aberrational. An aberration I detest as repulsive and vile.
    The vast majority of the people that make someone else being gay into an issue are religious people, and in this country, Christians.

Yes, it does make Christianity look bad.

But that goes back to how do you define Christianity? Certainly the bible has more than a little to do with that definition - just as certainly, that work has some pretty explicit condemnation of homosexuality.

Again no religion is perfect end of discussion. I respect a persons right to believe in Christianity, Islam, hinduism, Buddhism, nihilist, prognostic, atheist, etc. That is Your AMERICAN freedom to choose what you want. What we have lost as a country is that people do not always see eye to eye with one another. How people still interact with those differences is killing us as a country. People should respect all varieties of life. I don't believe in the satanist group having a stature in Oklahoma but I will fight for their right to believe in it.
    Agreed across the board there.

And I certainly think there are many, many good people that happen to be Christian. Just as I believe the same thing with any other religion.

But to say everyone who is a bad person is so because they don't understand their religion is something I can't agree with any more. There's too many instances of information in these ancient works that don't correspond with a modern understanding of ethics. Sometimes people act badly because of their religion, not in spite of it.
    Last edited by demiurge; -05-16-2014 at 01:48 PM.
    DE_Ramfan likes this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by demuirge
    Sometimes people act badly because of their religion, not in spite of it.
    I won't speak for all religions, but I'm sorry demuirge, this simply isn't the case in Christianity. When Christians act badly, it is not because of their religion. It may be because of their misunderstanding of their religion, but there's nothing in Christianity that would cause someone to act badly.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Some interesting stuff here, including the claim that a few players in the NFL have told their teams and teammates that they are gay.

Gay rights advocate helping Rams, Sam adjust

AP 5:13 p.m. EDT May 15, 2014

ST. LOUIS (AP) — The head of an advocacy group for gay and lesbian athletes said he spent a full day this week helping the St. Louis Rams prepare for the arrival of Michael Sam, who hopes to become the first openly gay player in the NFL.

Wade Davis, executive director of the You Can Play Project, said Rams coach Jeff Fisher reached out to him after the team chose Sam in the seventh round of the draft on Saturday. Davis, who has been advising the NFL on diversity matters for the last year, said he was confident Sam landed with the right team — starting with a head coach who wasn't afraid to draft him.

During a daylong visit to Rams Park on Monday, Fisher told players they could feel free to approach him if they have any issues regarding Sam.

"Hey, if any of you guys are uncomfortable, coach Fisher wants you to know his door is open," Davis said. "Everyone in this needs to have a voice."

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the league has been working with teams and players "on ensuring a respectful culture." Davis met with owners and head coaches at league meetings in March, and Aiello said diversity was discussed with owners, head coaches and team executives.

"The work is continuing and will include training resources for every team," Aiello said.

Aiello wouldn't discuss specifics of the league initiative, or whether any of it was prompted by the bullying scandal involving Miami players accused of targeting Jonathan Martin. Davis said the initiative for gay rights has been in the planning for more than a year.

The 36-year-old Davis is a former NFL defensive back who came out as gay after ending his career, which included getting twice cut by Fisher after brief stints in Tennessee. He has plans to meet with a handful of other teams regarding diversity issues, but said he couldn't divulge specifics.

"A bunch of teams want me to come talk to them," Davis said.

Davis also said he knows of at least "a couple of players" in the NFL who have come out only to their teams, as Sam did before his final season at Missouri last year.

"Their teammates know," Davis said. "And those are the only people that need to know."

Sam, the SEC co-defensive player of the year, arrived Monday along with the rest of the draft class for a week of rookie orientation. That same day, Davis was at Rams Park for nine hours, holding separate meetings with the coaching staff and front office, some veteran players and support staff. He said he had a shorter meeting with the draft picks, plus spent time with Sam, whom he'd met prior to the player's coming out announcement in February.

While in St. Louis, Davis concentrated on de-bunking myths about gay athletes and discussed strategies for supporting Sam.

Rather than label his session with players a workshop or seminar, Davis called it a "conversation layered with personal narrative." After establishing rapport, there was a question and answer session, and Davis said he finished with mostly common sense points of emphasis.

He stressed to players that they need not "walk on eggshells" around Sam, but simply to treat him with respect like any other teammate. Davis said players were eager to help. The question he heard most: How best to shield Sam from disruptive media attention and allow him to concentrate on making the team?

Sam has agreed to be the subject of a documentary series on Oprah Winfrey's cable network, seemingly at odds with that goal. Yet he, too, asked Davis about strategies to "get the media out of here."

Davis responded that every practice, every day, is an interview with the Rams. Sam, after all, is the 249th pick of the draft and must crack a team that seems deep with defensive ends.

"I told Mike, 'You're walking into this as a scrub,'" Davis said. "You can't think of yourself as a celebrity."

Still, cameras will follow Sam whenever possible for now and was the star attraction on Tuesday when draft picks were introduced, typically a largely ceremonial occasion.

"I welcome him with open arms," said running back Tre Mason, a third-round pick. "Everyone's entitled to who they want to love, and he's a man of his own and he's entitled to do that. We're a team, and he's also a family member to us and to me now."

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Some interesting stuff here, including the claim that a few players in the NFL have told their teams and teammates that they are gay.
    Sounds like a very productive meeting. Just one more reason to like the leadership of Fisher.

Like you said, the article states there's a team or two out there who has a player that's come out. I wonder how those players feel watching their team pass over Sam time and time again? I wonder if they internalized that a little bit, thinking "hey, maybe coach is saying if he had to do again he'd pass on me as well?"
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Just a hunch, but I'm guessing the Dolphins are not one of those teams with an openly gay player.

As far as the teams that allegedly have openly gay players, it seems almost impossible that the 70+ players and coaches on an NFL team could all keep it under wraps. It'll be interesting to see what effect if any, Sam will have on the teams with openly gay players.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Just a hunch, but I'm guessing the Dolphins are not one of those teams with an openly gay player.
    I knew some guys from college that did everything they could to display their heterosexuality to the world, only to come out later. From over-the-top alpha male type, to rainbow flag waving out and about.

How ironic would it be if Incognito came out?
    Rambos, Nick and 10m39s80i81t like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I knew some guys from college that did everything they could to display their heterosexuality to the world, only to come out later. From over-the-top alpha male type, to rainbow flag waving out and about.

Pretty damned ironic.

RealRam is offline Registered User

LOL! ...Oh, man, that's a good one.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

Like you said, the article states there's a team or two out there who has a player that's come out. I wonder how those players feel watching their team pass over Sam time and time again?"
    Yeah. They also are thinking "am I to short to play defensive end?".
    "The horror"

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Instead of labeling Sam a hypocrite, or saying we've "lost all respect" for him, maybe we should recognize that he's a kid trying to navigate a difficult path.
    Well put.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I think we have to also consider the fact that Michael Sam's opportunity to "cash in" on his football career may be very short. While I hope and expect he will do everything he can to make the team and earn an NFL salary, he has to be mindful of the fact that he could find himself unemployed come September. Given that reality, I can see how it would be tempting for him to make some money now by agreeing to do the Oprah show.
    Bingo.

We're talking about a seventh round pick here. Even without the sexuality issue, he was going to be a Day 3 pick. His odds of being a successful NFL player who can make enough to sustain him and his family for the rest of his life are not good.

I don't blame him at all for agreeing to this opportunity, and frankly I wouldn't be surprised at all if he continued to take part in similar proposals down the line, especially if the NFL thing doesn't work out for him.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Michael Sam Documentary Series POSTPONED

The Oprah Winfrey Network announced Friday that the planned documentary chronicling St. Louis Rams draftee Michael Sam's NFL journey has been postponed.

OWN president Erik Logan issued the following statement:

After careful consideration and discussion with the St. Louis Rams, 'The Untitled Michael Sam Project' has been postponed, allowing Michael the best opportunity to achieve his dreams of making the team. OWN is about elevating and empowering people to achieve their best. It's clear that we, along with the world, recognize the opportunity that Michael has in this moment. We will continue to support him in his journey to earn a spot playing for the Rams."

Earlier this week, the network announced plans to document Sam's quest for a roster spot as the league's first openly gay player.

An anonymous teammate expressed concern that it could become a distraction, and ESPN reported Friday morning that Sam's camp concealed details about the production out of fear that it would affect his draft stock.

Haste is offline Registered User

Re: Michael Sam Documentary Series POSTPONED

Great news!

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Michael Sam Documentary Series POSTPONED

Let's see if the media maniacs won't look for another access to get their stories.

But this is what I was referring to in the other OWN thread about having heard (Monday?) either Coach Fisher or GM Snead saying during a press conference that they would try to shield MSam from media overload.

The Official Michael Sam "Off-the-Field" Thread-1-1ms-nfl-2014.jpg - - Clic to enlarge image