Page 22 of 35 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast
Results 316 to 330 of 515
Like Tree410Likes

Thread: The Official Michael Sam "Off-the-Field" Thread

  1. #316
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,625
    Rep Power
    167

    Re: The Official Michael Sam "Off-the-Field" Thread

    I think this was the right move. I want Michael Sam to have the best chance to make the team, and I don't see how a reality show would have helped.
    ramsbruce and Flippin' Ram like this.


  2. #317
    r8rh8rmike's Avatar
    r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    29 Palms, Ca.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,455
    Rep Power
    128

    Re: The Official Michael Sam "Off-the-Field" Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I think this was the right move. I want Michael Sam to have the best chance to make the team, and I don't see how a reality show would have helped.
    I agree. The right move, and the smart move. Dividing his focus and alienating teammates is the last thing Sam needed to do coming out of the gate.

  3. #318
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    9,138
    Rep Power
    75

    Re: The Official Michael Sam "Off-the-Field" Thread

    Smart move by the Rams front office to stop this distraction. I think by doing this they have also acted in the best interest of Sam. He will have plenty of time to tell his story, he is the first play ever drafted that is openly gay. It's a much better story if he makes the team and has a career in the NFL.
    Last edited by Rambos; -05-16-2014 at 09:53 PM.

  4. #319
    ram1906's Avatar
    ram1906 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ca
    Posts
    134
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: The Official Michael Sam "Off-the-Field" Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Wrong. Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 does not prohibit discrimination based upon sexual orientation. In fact, there is no federal law that protects against this form of discrimination.

    Funny how one fact can blow up a nice conspiracy theory.

    WRONG.... Never have Avenger defend you in a court of law

    Facts about Discrimination in Federal Government Employment Based on Marital Status, Political Affiliation, Status as a Parent, Sexual Orientation, or Transgender (Gender Identity) Status

    Laws Enforced By the EEOC
    The EEOC enforces the prohibitions against employment discrimination in Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Equal Pay Act of 1963, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, Sections 501 and 505 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Titles I and V of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), Title II of the Genetic Information Non-discrimination Act (GINA), and the Civil Rights Act of 1991. These laws prohibit discrimination based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, and genetic information, as well as reprisal for protected activity. The Commission's interpretations of these statutes apply to its adjudication and enforcement in federal sector as well as private sector and state and local government employment.
    The EEOC has held that discrimination against an individual because that person is transgender (also known as gender identity discrimination) is discrimination because of sex and therefore is covered under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. See Macy v. Department of Justice, EEOC Appeal No. 0120120821 (April 20, 2012), http://www.eeoc.gov/decisions/012012...0DOJ%20ATF.txt. The Commission has also found that claims by lesbian, gay, and bisexual individuals alleging sex-stereotyping state a sex discrimination claim under Title VII. See Veretto v. U.S. Postal Service, EEOC Appeal No. 0120110873 (July 1, 2011); Castello v. U.S. Postal Service, EEOC Request No. 0520110649 (Dec. 20, 2011), http://www.eeoc.gov/decisions/0520110649.txt.

  5. #320
    r8rh8rmike's Avatar
    r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    29 Palms, Ca.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,455
    Rep Power
    128

    Re: The Official Michael Sam "Off-the-Field" Thread

    This thing just sounded like a convoluted, deceptive, manipulative mess from the start ---

    2nd Update: Oprah network postponing Sam docu-series

    6 hours ago • By Jim Thomas jthomas@post-dispatch.com 314-340-8197

    The Oprah Winfrey Network is postponing production of it's planned docu-series on Michael Sam, the network announced Friday evening. The decision capped a day full of discussions with the Rams and league denials that it knew in advance of the draft that a "docu-series" was being planned.

    Reports to the contrary, the NFL said it was not aware an agreement existed between Sam and the Oprah Winfrey Network for a docu-series before Sam was drafted by the St. Louis Rams.

    "We learned of this in the days after the draft," NFL vice president of communications Brian McCarthy said Friday via e-mail. "As to having signed off on the project or granting rights or logos. . . .We have not signed such an agreement."

    Sam, an all-American defensive end from the University of Missouri, is the first openly-gay player drafted in NFL history.

    A camera crew from the Oprah network was at Rams Park on Tuesday for Sam's introductory news conference. The crew also was present Friday, for a Rams rookie practice, but got no special access either day.

    On Thursday, one of Sam's agents, Cameron Weiss, said in a local radio interview that the NFL did know about the docu-series.

    "We had communicated to the league office what our plans were," Weiss said. "They were aware of it. My partner and I. . .(Sam's) co-agent, are not going to go around communicating to all 32 teams what's going on. It's not our place, especially when no deal was signed.

    "It was signed in the days immediately proceeding the draft. With the league having knowledge of it, we were comfortable."

    (The co-agent is Joe Barkett.)

    Weiss made those comments on The Drive Home show on CBS Sports Radio, 920-AM. Post-Dispatch columnists Joe Strauss and Bryan Burwell host the show along with Bob Ramsey.

    A league official told the Post-Dispatch Friday that the league is aware of those comments, adding: "We are saying the agent is not correct."

    Weiss did not respond to a phone message left Friday by the Post-Dispatch.

  6. #321
    FestusRam's Avatar
    FestusRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Festus, Missouri
    Posts
    1,201
    Rep Power
    21

    Re: The Official Michael Sam "Off-the-Field" Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I think we have to also consider the fact that Michael Sam's opportunity to "cash in" on his football career may be very short. While I hope and expect he will do everything he can to make the team and earn an NFL salary, he has to be mindful of the fact that he could find himself unemployed come September. Given that reality, I can see how it would be tempting for him to make some money now by agreeing to do the Oprah show..
    Av, thank you for this.

    Everyone's so quick to judge, but I highly doubt they would turn down this once in a lifetime opportunity if they were in Sam's shoes.

    He may very well never see a snap in a real NFL game, why not enjoy the moment and make some money while he can.

    And anyone who thinks that this will be a distraction for the Rams really doesn't have the confidence in Fisher that they should.

    Trust the 'stache.
    10m39s80i81t likes this.

  7. #322
    r8rh8rmike's Avatar
    r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    29 Palms, Ca.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,455
    Rep Power
    128

    Re: The Official Michael Sam "Off-the-Field" Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    And anyone who thinks that this will be a distraction for the Rams really doesn't have the confidence in Fisher that they should.
    It won't be a distraction now, since it's being postponed. Obviously, it was seen as problematic.

  8. #323
    10m39s80i81t's Avatar
    10m39s80i81t is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    fresno, ca
    Age
    36
    Posts
    85
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: The Official Michael Sam "Off-the-Field" Thread

    Sounds like Oprah got shut down...I have a feeling it was all media heresay anyway, I was trying to figure out how Oprah actually thought the Rams would be okay with a media circus at camp.... No way that would happen while while Jeff Fishers coach.

  9. #324
    FestusRam's Avatar
    FestusRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Festus, Missouri
    Posts
    1,201
    Rep Power
    21

    Re: The Official Michael Sam "Off-the-Field" Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    It won't be a distraction now, since it's being postponed. Obviously, it was seen as problematic.
    Like I said, trust the 'Stache.

  10. #325
    sosa39rams's Avatar
    sosa39rams is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, On
    Posts
    5,457
    Rep Power
    43

    Re: The Official Michael Sam "Off-the-Field" Thread

    Looks like Mr. Sam has been reading my posts around here on ClanRam!
    r8rh8rmike likes this.


    THE DREAM TEAM

  11. #326
    demiurge is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    336
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: The Official Michael Sam "Off-the-Field" Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I won't speak for all religions, but I'm sorry demuirge, this simply isn't the case in Christianity. When Christians act badly, it is not because of their religion. It may be because of their misunderstanding of their religion, but there's nothing in Christianity that would cause someone to act badly.
    The bible condones slavery - and was read to slaves to make them more docile and accept the tragedy that had befallen them. Indeed, it even says if you kill your slave, you shall not be punished if he/she survives a day or two after the beating, because they are property. We are beyond that 'morality' now, but it happened en masse in the not too distant past and is still used by racists to condone their actions, just as the bible is used by homophobes in this very thread.

    In Deutoronomy 13:6-10, the Bible says you should kill your family if they worship other gods. Are you going to kill your daughter if she converts to a different religion?

    If a man goes insane and slaughters some kids, claiming God told him to do it, how can you possibly know that God didn't tell him to do so? There's no less than 5 instances in the Bible where God has the Israelites kill entire tribes, including children: Joshua 6:20-21, Deutoronomy 2:32-35, Deutoronomy 3:3-7, Numbers 31-7-18, and 1 Samuel 15:1-9. How are children ever responsible for their parents actions?

    The Bible even goes to say that it is righteous to bash the heads of babies of those who have mightily wronged you against rocks. Psalm 137:9. Again, aren't we past such barbarism now?

    There's simply overwhelming evidence in the Bible that God sanctions murder, even of people that didn't directly commit acts but are related to those who did, even several generations away from the perpetrators.

    Heck, he threatens to force humans that turn away from him into forced cannibalism not once but twice - Leviticus 26:27-29 and Jeremiah 19:9.

    There's plenty of wisdom in the Bible - and there's plenty there that is such antiquated barbarism that we choose to simply ignore it entirely in how the religion is expressed today. But that's because we are ignoring the parts we don't like - not because it isn't in there.

    There's plenty of people who have done awful things simply because they understood what was in the bible and believed it.

    RealRam is doing it right here in this thread, right now.
    Last edited by demiurge; -05-17-2014 at 07:38 AM.

  12. #327
    demiurge is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    336
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: The Official Michael Sam "Off-the-Field" Thread

    I'll let you have the last word if you so desire Hubison. And I certainly don't say that there hasn't been a great deal of good to come from religion as well. You certainly seem to be a good man. A lot of people who want to be good are drawn to religion.


    I just disagree that if you are a 'good Christian' you have to be a good person. I've known too many good christians that weren't. And as much as I disagree with RealRams view point, and obviously that is to an extreme, he is absolutely correct in the source of his disgust - the bible is homophobic, period. If you aren't, then you are a better man - and don't follow the word of God as well as he.

    But that's OK. If the voice of God came to you and told you to murder your child, I tend to think you would't do it. Even though the morality of the bible tells you you would be absolutely right to do so. And its not just Abraham - Jepthah actually burns his daughter alive for gaining God's favor to get vengeance on his enemies. Judges 11:30-39.

    As flawed as the human race is, we've come along way from that nonsense.
    Last edited by demiurge; -05-17-2014 at 07:56 AM.
    FestusRam likes this.

  13. #328
    demiurge is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    336
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: The Official Michael Sam "Off-the-Field" Thread

    As per Sam, there was some interesting commentary on the NFL network yesterday - one of the commentators (sorry, didn't catch the guys name) went on a rant against Sam's agents. For one, they aren't representing any one else. He's their first client, ever. Always a bad sign. Two, the commentator believed Sam should fire them, pronto. That they were using him for a quick cash grab, and that no seasoned agent would have advised a rookie to get a reality show when they have to spend their entire focus on trying to make the team. Three, that the Rams didn't know about this deal at all, and he was alienating management by doing so.

    Glad to hear wiser heads prevailed and they postponed the show.

  14. #329
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,480
    Rep Power
    154

    Re: The Official Michael Sam "Off-the-Field" Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    It won't be a distraction now, since it's being postponed. Obviously, it was seen as problematic.
    I think the part the NFL viewed as problematic is they weren't consulted, and considering their obsessive control over their product, it shouldn't be surprising they stepped in. The NFL doesn't view reality-based coverage of their teams as inherently problematic, though. Otherwise, you wouldn't see "Hard Knocks" or "Hey Rookie, Welcome to the NFL."

    As for the Rams, I suspect Jeff Fisher, like most NFL coaches, would prefer as much privacy as possible in preparing for the season to not give other teams any kind of advantage. There's a reason that a team might have to be forced to do a show like "Hard Knocks." But as for reality television itself, I'm not sure Fisher is totally opposed. In a post-draft appearance on the Dan Patrick Show, he didn't completely rule out doing "Hard Knocks," and said it was something he'd have to think about.

    If a distraction has been removed for anyone, I think it's the fans. Whether it actually would have been a distraction to Sam or anyone else on the team is debatable, but it certainly dominated the fan discussion here since it was announced.
    FestusRam likes this.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!



  15. #330
    r8rh8rmike's Avatar
    r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    29 Palms, Ca.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,455
    Rep Power
    128

    Re: The Official Michael Sam "Off-the-Field" Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I think the part the NFL viewed as problematic is they weren't consulted, and considering their obsessive control over their product, it shouldn't be surprising they stepped in. The NFL doesn't view reality-based coverage of their teams as inherently problematic, though. Otherwise, you wouldn't see "Hard Knocks" or "Hey Rookie, Welcome to the NFL."

    As for the Rams, I suspect Jeff Fisher, like most NFL coaches, would prefer as much privacy as possible in preparing for the season to not give other teams any kind of advantage. There's a reason that a team might have to be forced to do a show like "Hard Knocks." But as for reality television itself, I'm not sure Fisher is totally opposed. In a post-draft appearance on the Dan Patrick Show, he didn't completely rule out doing "Hard Knocks," and said it was something he'd have to think about.

    If a distraction has been removed for anyone, I think it's the fans. Whether it actually would have been a distraction to Sam or anyone else on the team is debatable, but it certainly dominated the fan discussion here since it was announced.
    I would agree that from the NFL standpoint, the show was problematic because it wasn't approved, but also, they were not going to make any money on it.

    I can't speak for Fisher, but I assume he wouldn't be completely against something like "Hard Knocks", because it focuses on the team, whereas the Sam series focuses on one individual, who hasn't even made the final cut. I'll bet he has a problem in that sense. And I don't discount the potential problem of anonymous players expressing displeasure with the series as being an issue with Fisher as well. IMO, it became a legitimate distraction when teammates felt the need to say something to the press.

    Finally, as a fan, I'm glad the whole thing is now out of the picture.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 435
    Last Post: -08-28-2010, 05:03 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: -02-26-2009, 04:44 PM
  3. The official " Lets draft Graham Harrell" thread
    By Shadesofgrey in forum NFL TALK
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: -12-02-2008, 07:23 PM
  4. Replies: 15
    Last Post: -03-05-2008, 08:18 PM
  5. Replies: 20
    Last Post: -04-29-2006, 01:47 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •