Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast
Like Tree410Likes

Thread: The Official Michael Sam "Off-the-Field" Thread

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: The Official Michael Sam "Off-the-Field" Thread

The Oprah Winfrey Network is postponing production of it's planned docu-series on Michael Sam, the network announced Friday evening. The decision capped a day full of discussions with the Rams and league denials that it knew in advance of the draft that a "docu-series" was being planned.
    A day full of discussions. How is that not a distraction? They spent the better part of a day working on something other them getting this team ready to play. They spent a day on one players that has yet to sign a contract with the team or make the the team and somehow this is business as usual?

I watched Sam's agent yesterday say on ESPN that the Rams did not know but the NFL did know. He also said he did not have a licensing agreement in place. That tells me he did not have an agreement to make this show or documentary with the NFL.

Sam should change agents ASAP these guys are just not qualified to handle him. Geno Smith wasted no time moving on and has not looked back.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I can't speak for Fisher, but I assume he wouldn't be completely against something like "Hard Knocks", because it focuses on the team, whereas the Sam series focuses on one individual, who hasn't even made the final cut. I'll bet he has a problem in that sense.
    You may be right.

Then again, Pro Football Talk reported yesterday that a source with knowledge of the situation indicated the team itself didn't have concerns over the show and "intend to cooperate with Sam in a way that will make the entire situation — including reality show — work out for everyone."

We obviously won't know for sure until Fisher and company speak about the issue, but I think fans are making this out to be a bigger problem/distraction than it probably is.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    A day full of discussions. How is that not a distraction? They spent the better part of a day working on something other them getting this team ready to play.
    I really don't know what to make of this statement. It sounds like you think the coaching staff gave up a day of work with the team in order to all file into a room and deal with this.

My guess is that probably didn't happen, but rather people from the Rams' communications department handled most of the talks, and then perhaps brought in someone from management once the heavy lifting was out of the way. That's what they're there for.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    You may be right.

Then again, Pro Football Talk reported yesterday that a source with knowledge of the situation indicated the team itself didn't have concerns over the show and "intend to cooperate with Sam in a way that will make the entire situation — including reality show — work out for everyone."

We obviously won't know for sure until Fisher and company speak about the issue, but I think fans are making this out to be a bigger problem/distraction than it probably is.

I really don't know what to make of this statement. It sounds like you think the coaching staff gave up a day of work with the team in order to all file into a room and deal with this.

My guess is that probably didn't happen, but rather people from the Rams' communications department handled most of the talks, and then perhaps brought in someone from management once the heavy lifting was out of the way. That's what they're there for.
    John Clayton said Jeff Fisher had to skip a few interviews that where set up to deal with this. Nick not sure you have every been in a large organization like a forum 500 company or not. Distractions come in many ways and can have a ripple effect though your organization. You have been on the wrong side of this argument from day one in my opinion and it's just my opinion. From statements that say he's should cash in, to this is a non issue for the Rams. It was an issues for the Rams and they have clearly spent time dealing with it. Clayton made it sound as if he told Sam if you want to play here we can't have this going on it's too much.

What Fisher says will be the high road, what he did was remove the distraction. The Rams are in the business to win football games, not social causes.
    Last edited by Rambos; -05-17-2014 at 02:21 PM.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Regardless of what the team might, or might not have said, some players apparently felt compelled to say it was a distraction. IMO, at that point, it becomes problematic.

I freely admit that initially, I didn't think it would be a distraction as long as it didn't impact the team, but that's not the way it turned out.

Just my opinion. but I'm guessing the Rams are relieved that they don't have to deal with an intrusive camera crew, an irresponsible production company, and a partially disgruntled locker room.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    You have been on the wrong side of this argument from day one in my opinion and it's just my opinion.
    Well, you could have saved us all some time by letting everyone know which was the right and wrong side of this argument on Day One. I blame you for this distraction!
    Last edited by Nick; -05-17-2014 at 03:32 PM.
    MoonJoe likes this.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

The show was simply postponed though, rather than cancelled, right? If so, and that's not just PR code for cancelled, that would suggest they are going to have to deal with a camera crew, production company, and the effects those things have on their locker room at some point, no?
    For all intents and purposes, I think the series is postponed "indefinitely", and OWN will not be working with the Rams in any way, shape, or form any time soon, if ever. I'll be very surprised if they are allowed any special access the entire pre-season. Time will tell.

Well, you could have saved us all some time by letting everyone know which was the right and wrong side of this argument on Day One. I blame you for this distraction!
    I take full responsibility

Could you imagine for a second if Johnny Manziel said after he was drafted he had a reality show in the works. That would have went over like a ton of bricks. The Browns are on lock down just because the guy is a celebrity.
    RealRam likes this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by demiurge View Post
    The bible condones slavery - and was read to slaves to make them more docile and accept the tragedy that had befallen them. Indeed, it even says if you kill your slave, you shall not be punished if he/she survives a day or two after the beating, because they are property. We are beyond that 'morality' now, but it happened en masse in the not too distant past and is still used by racists to condone their actions, just as the bible is used by homophobes in this very thread.

In Deutoronomy 13:6-10, the Bible says you should kill your family if they worship other gods. Are you going to kill your daughter if she converts to a different religion?

If a man goes insane and slaughters some kids, claiming God told him to do it, how can you possibly know that God didn't tell him to do so? There's no less than 5 instances in the Bible where God has the Israelites kill entire tribes, including children: Joshua 6:20-21, Deutoronomy 2:32-35, Deutoronomy 3:3-7, Numbers 31-7-18, and 1 Samuel 15:1-9. How are children ever responsible for their parents actions?

The Bible even goes to say that it is righteous to bash the heads of babies of those who have mightily wronged you against rocks. Psalm 137:9. Again, aren't we past such barbarism now?

There's simply overwhelming evidence in the Bible that God sanctions murder, even of people that didn't directly commit acts but are related to those who did, even several generations away from the perpetrators.

Heck, he threatens to force humans that turn away from him into forced cannibalism not once but twice - Leviticus 26:27-29 and Jeremiah 19:9.

There's plenty of wisdom in the Bible - and there's plenty there that is such antiquated barbarism that we choose to simply ignore it entirely in how the religion is expressed today. But that's because we are ignoring the parts we don't like - not because it isn't in there.

There's plenty of people who have done awful things simply because they understood what was in the bible and believed it.

RealRam is doing it right here in this thread, right now.
    I really wish you and I could sit down over a couple of beers. I think there's a ton we could learn from each other.

Demuirge, as I said, I can't speak for other religions, and honestly I probably don't even do a good job at representing Christianity, but I can say that every reference you gave were Old Testament references. Christians use the stories of the OT as informative, but we live our lives by the words of the New Testament. I don't recall much God-ordained genocide in the New Testament.
    I just disagree that if you are a 'good Christian' you have to be a good person. I've known too many good christians that weren't.
    But how do you deem them to be 'good Christians' in the first place? John 13 says you will know Jesus' followers, because they love everyone. If you do not see love from these 'good Christians', then maybe they're not quite as 'good' as you might think.
    And as much as I disagree with RealRams view point, and obviously that is to an extreme, he is absolutely correct in the source of his disgust - the bible is homophobic, period.
    Again, what makes you think he's absolutely correct? Where do you see homophobia in the teachings of Christ or his followers? The answer is nowhere. Trust me when I say, God and Jesus love Michael Sam as much as they do me or you.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

St. Louis Rams not bothered by Michael Sam’s documentary with Oprah’s network

By Josh Sanchez

St. Louis Rams not bothered by Michael Sam's documentary with Oprah's network

Michael Sam stretches while attending the Rams rookie minicamp. (AP Photo/Jeff Roberson)

Michael Sam has been in the headlines again since becoming a seventh-round pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, with the latest wrinkle being his docu-series that will air on Oprah’s network. The reality series of him trying to make the St. Louis Rams opening day roster has been met with some negative backlash, but the Rams organization is not concerned.

According to Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk, a source says the Rams are even willing to work with Sam to make sure everything works out best for all parties involved.

“The Rams intend to cooperate with Sam in a way that will make the entire situation — including reality show — work out for everyone,” Florio wrote.

If some NFL teams are willing to have cameras invade their team facilities and follow them around during training camp for a show like HBO’s Hard Knocks, there is no reason that the Rams couldn’t find a way to allow one player to film a short series that will document his journey and struggles as the NFL’s first openly gay player.

Sam’s reality series wouldn’t be any self-serving show that has the purpose of just landing him more attention in the spotlight. Instead, it is something that will help highlight the progress that the league is making and the show could end up inspiring others.

While the Rams didn’t know about the documentary beforehand, there has been a report by Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, that the NFL had known about Sam’s involvement with the documentary but that the league hadn’t informed any of its teams before the draft.

The NFL was quick to deny it had any previous knowledge. NFL spokesperson Greg Aiello says the league “did not know anything about [Sam's OWN deal] until after the draft and have not agreed to anything about it.”

Either way, the Rams have a much bigger distraction on their hands than they orginally expected when they selected Sam.

“If the Rams weren’t duped, they were at least gently misled by the league’s silence,” Strauss wrote. “Fisher thought enough about Sam’s presence that on Monday he imported retired NFL cornerback and current activist Wade Davis to counsel his locker room, coaches and front office about a situation some might see as uncomfortable. No player griped. Several already had supported Sam via social media. However, a number of players apparently voiced displeasure to management Thursday shortly after learning about the Oprah project.

“An uplifting narrative now becomes tinged by collateral controversy.”

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by ram1906 View Post

WRONG.... Never have Avenger defend you in a court of law

Facts about Discrimination in Federal Government Employment Based on Marital Status, Political Affiliation, Status as a Parent, Sexual Orientation, or Transgender (Gender Identity) Status

Laws Enforced By the EEOC
    The EEOC enforces the prohibitions against employment discrimination in Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Equal Pay Act of 1963, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, Sections 501 and 505 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Titles I and V of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), Title II of the Genetic Information Non-discrimination Act (GINA), and the Civil Rights Act of 1991. These laws prohibit discrimination based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, and genetic information, as well as reprisal for protected activity. The Commission's interpretations of these statutes apply to its adjudication and enforcement in federal sector as well as private sector and state and local government employment.
    The EEOC has held that discrimination against an individual because that person is transgender (also known as gender identity discrimination) is discrimination because of sex and therefore is covered under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. See Macy v. Department of Justice, EEOC Appeal No. 0120120821 (April 20, 2012), http://www.eeoc.gov/decisions/012012...0DOJ%20ATF.txt. The Commission has also found that claims by lesbian, gay, and bisexual individuals alleging sex-stereotyping state a sex discrimination claim under Title VII. See Veretto v. U.S. Postal Service, EEOC Appeal No. 0120110873 (July 1, 2011); Castello v. U.S. Postal Service, EEOC Request No. 0520110649 (Dec. 20, 2011), http://www.eeoc.gov/decisions/0520110649.txt.
    Dude... give it up. You are so wrong, and you are making a fool of yourself.

Gender stereotyping discrimination is NOT the same as sexual orientation discrimination. When a person alleges a claim for gender stereotyping, they assert that they were treated adversely because they don't act in a masculine or feminine manner, REGARDLESS OF SEXUAL ORIENTATION. Discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation means you are treated adversely because you are gay (or, bisexual, or straight).

The former is recognized by some, but not all, courts. The latter is not in Title VII or any other federal statute, and is not recognized as a federal claim by ANY COURT.

Sorry... but my 22 years in the field trumps your online research and your inability to grasp the nuances of the law.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -05-17-2014 at 05:54 PM.

This article makes some good points IMO ---

Postponement of OWN’s Michael Sam Documentary is Best for All

By Patrick Karraker 8h ago

On Friday night, it was announced that the Oprah Winfrey Network has indefinitely postponed a docu-series which was scheduled to chronicle the attempt by St. Louis Rams seventh round selection Michael Sam to become the NFL’s first openly gay player.

There seemed to be a lot of sketchy details regarding the planned television series. Though Sam’s agents and representatives had worked out the details with OWN shortly before the NFL Draft, they apparently failed to inform the Rams that it was going to take place before the team selected Sam. While the agents claimed that they had fully informed the NFL of the situation prior to the draft, a league representative later denied that claim, saying that the league did not know and OWN had not secured the right to use league brands or logos.

Worst of all, there seemed to be a large discrepancy over how much the series would affect the football team. While the show’s creators said that the production of the series would not take place at the team facility or hotel, there was a camera crew present for the Rams’ first rookie workout on Friday. While that’s not as much of an infringement as, say, taping team meetings or interviewing Sam’s teammates, it still made the distraction very visible right away. While there were apparently numerous complications to how the production crew, Sam, the Rams and the NFL planned to approach the situation, the camera crew being visible right away may have been the final straw.

Apparently Rams players were concerned by the thought of having the production of the series taking place around the team and had complained about it. After Sam had claimed as recently as Monday that he wanted to focus everything on football rather than turning himself into a public relations sideshow, these concerns were certainly reasonable. Having the player approve a camera crew to follow him around and create more drama seems to counteract his mission to find his proper role as a seventh-rounder and minimize distractions while he’s fighting for a spot on the 53-man roster.

That’s not at all to say that there won’t be media drama around Rams Park this summer anyway. There will still be national media coming to the facility whenever they’re permitted and obsessing over Sam’s every move. And if the recent speculation turns out to be true, HBO’s “Hard Knocks” may be all over the place, fully documenting the Rams’ training camp experience. Obviously with his unique circumstances and the national interest that he has created, Sam would be one of the main focuses of that program. At least with those media outlets, though, it won’t look like Sam is making it a point to bring more drama into the facility than there needs to be.
    While it would have been nice to see firsthand how Sam dealt with the struggles of being the league’s first openly gay player, the decision to postpone the docu-series is ultimately for the best, as it eliminates an unnecessary distraction and allows the rookie defensive end to focus more exclusively on football. After all, if the producers were going to stay true to their word and avoid the team facility and hotel, it probably wouldn’t have been that much of an inside look anyway, as those two areas are where the players, particularly young ones, are going to spend the overwhelming majority of their time during training camp. Maybe if Sam becomes a more established player, then it will be more appropriate to do the documentary, but for now, avoiding it is probably the best decision for everyone involved.

macrammer is offline Registered User

I am glad this was put on back burner. I think this WAS a unnecessary distraction and I selfishly want nothing but a winning season for the 2014 Rams and I am looking for the Rams to have 100% focus on this FOOTBALL year.
    RealRam likes this.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    I am glad this was put on back burner. I think this WAS a unnecessary distraction and I selfishly want nothing but a winning season for the 2014 Rams and I am looking for the Rams to have 100% focus on this FOOTBALL year.
    I totally agree except for the selfish bit.Nothing selfish about that. One can only hope that the selfishness was on the part of Sam's reps and OWN, rather than the player. Kid can make that melodrama any time, win or lose a roster spot. If he focuses on football now, he could make history.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -05-18-2014 at 02:03 AM.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Well, Demiurge, you take the cake.

Your impudence and imprudence in bible citation (post #326) is deplorably impressive. Wow.

In Christianity, with the fundamental exception of the moral law [ mishpatim in hebrew ], i.e., the decalogue (or, moral standard), most of the ceremonial laws in the Old Testament [ hukkim / chuqqah ], as well as the measures of military revenge, destruction, disaster and dire consequence of the culture and language of those times was abolished at the cross with the sacrifice of Christ, including the pentateuch - but not the moral law therein recorded.

Now, I believe in the O.T. and I use it not only for dogmatics but for inspiration as well; and I believe it is Christ centered in prophecy and purpose. For centuries now, the New Testament serves as a surmising of the law that Jesus succinctly taught to the scribe among some sadducees, a text already referenced in this thread:

"Which is the first commandment of all?"

Jesus answered him, "The first of all the commandments is: ‘Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.' This is the first commandment. And the second, like it, is this: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no other commandment greater than these."

So the scribe said to Him, "Well said, Master. You have spoken the truth, for there is one God, and there is no other but He. And to love Him with all the heart, with all the understanding, with all the soul, and with all the strength, and to love one’s neighbor as oneself, is more than all the whole burnt offerings and sacrifices."
    - Mk. 12:28-33.
    That is not to say that the Ten Commandments are 'expired', for one of the core missions of the Lord was to teach the moral law (Mt. 5:17-20), which, again, in a philosophical sense is termed as 'the law of love', providing it is observed by and through that principle...

This is why many judicial systems around the world, even governmental foundations, follow in some form or degree said moral principles; they are interwoven in the fabric of their law and order ideals. And there are legal entities whose main mission is to support and advocate for these ideals in the U.S. (e.g., The American Center for Law & Justice; Christian Coalition of America, etc.). Other countries are trying to emulate these institutions in an effort to improve family values and civility of their population.

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law [or the prophecies]; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished. Therefore whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.
    - Mt. 5:17-20

There is huge mountain of bible commentary and exegetical analysis, of translation and linguistic studies, church history, philosophical ethics, systematic theology, and so on. Waaaaay too much to discuss in a blog / thread as this one here.

But often the profundities of such studies are not necessary if those involved are sincere, open, and honest ... humble. For the sake of illustration, I could see one of our contemporary Christian Rams (post #282) join MSam for bible study - Aeneas Williams, Kurt Warner, or Sam Bradford. Or, perhaps with believers from other teams - Drew Brees, Matt Forte, Russell Wilson, Danny Woodhead, Jason Witten.

- - The Official Michael Sam "Off-the-Field" Thread-1-1kw-ftf.jpg ...Clic to enlarge image

That's where a loving outreach takes place, not to rub the bible in MSam's face but to offer the truth of its transforming grace to him. To help him learn about salvation through righteousness by faith; invite him into repentance ("Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord." - Acts 3:19), and hopefully, to see him yield into a life of moral dignity, integrity, and respect, for indeed, that is the promise: "For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life." - John 3:16.

That may be an oversimplified process, sure, because most Christians, rich or poor, healthy or in disease, grow into sanctification by walking in the long and narrow road with many a tribulation ("These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world." - John 16:33). Sanctification does not happen overnight, it is an actual career.

The fact that a person is transformed into Christ does not guarantee moral living: Judas Iscariot may be the best example of this. Preachers go astray. Priests fall in failure. Besides even St. Paul acknowledged that ones spiritual journey can be a paradox, ornery and plain difficult (Rom. 7:15; 21-25).

"...O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? 25 I thank God—through Jesus Christ our Lord!" - Rom. 7:24, 25

For the umpteenth time, I do not "hate" MSam. That's like saying that we, as Rams fans, really, really hate everyone in the Frisco Whiners team or the Seattle Sawks organization, including their fans (LOL).

We, in general, wan't those two teams to lose games, the more the merrier!

It is what's behind MSam's moral life / views that I firmly go against, that general predilection of gays. But if given the opportunity, I'd be more than willing, just as my NFL brethren, to guide him to read about Jesus and his love. Rest assured there will be a few NFL players sending MSam a bible. And I've said it before, it's up to him to accept the invitation, or not. But no, not to become a 'gay christian which is a sort of oxymoronic.

Keep in mind that as I've said in other posts and threads, I've worked with gay people now and then throughout decades in management -- and got along with them fine.

Below, an "N.F.L." bible cover with Romans 6:4 as the central name, 'New Found Life'.

The Official Michael Sam "Off-the-Field" Thread-1-1nfl-bible.jpg - - Clic to enlarge image.

Conversion and salvation. When properly understood (as taught in most evangelical churches), is not a matter of religion. It is a question of God offering divine grace through His son.

Yet even the Lord, loving and forgiving, could also accuse, rebuke and sentence (John 2:13-16) as seen in this painting - artist unknown [not a good pictorial to share with MSam for now]. He condemned those in the temple whom he considered - and condemned - as thieves for abusing the sanctity of his Father's house.

Last edited by RealRam; -05-18-2014 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Format

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    In Christianity, with the fundamental exception of the moral law [ mishpatim in hebrew ], i.e., the decalogue (or, moral standard), most of the ceremonial laws in the Old Testament [ hukkim / chuqqah ], as well as the measures of military revenge, destruction, disaster and dire consequence of the culture and language of those times was abolished at the cross with the sacrifice of Christ, including the pentateuch - but not the moral law therein recorded.
    Wasn't abstaining from the touching or devouring of pig carcasses in there somewhere?

Looks like throwing around the ol' pigskin is indeed a sin! Our can we just ignore that little excerpt?