throwback week



Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2223242526272829303132333435 LastLast
Results 466 to 480 of 515
Like Tree410Likes

Thread: The Official Michael Sam "Off-the-Field" Thread

  1. #466
    Varg6's Avatar
    Varg6 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    3,639
    Rep Power
    43

    Re: The Official Michael Sam "Off-the-Field" Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Ahhh, V6...

    "It's a shame you can't see that there's IS something wrong with being gay."

    This is what I keep saying that the whole discussion here comes to a dead agree to disagree. Please keep in mind that individuals as myself have a basis for said belief, i.e., the Christian bible and not just some 'old school' view on morality.

    What's really scary to me is that the standards of morality and decency keep following a trend of decadence, not just in language (F O U R letter words and other colorful, diverse and explicit vocabulary) but in behavior.

    I am very glad that ClanRam rules, for example, prohibit the use of such four letter words here, and even masked foul language in posts. WHY is this? Well, obviously, there is still a sense of "old school" decency vs obscenity that is part of the Clan moderation objectives. I say, 'kudos'.


    But I say again, I'm concerned that in general, more people nowadays find it easier and uninhibited to just let go and go with the flow, like professional athletes do in the heat of the moment. Sure, why not! Go ahead and curse / swear to another player - or at yourself when you missed a play -right in front of children. What's the problem!?! A man french kisses another man in public; oh, but they treat their fellow human being fine.

    So let the kiddies of today learn young. They can forget about church and all that.

    Sometimes when I visit YouTube I cringe at how easily and frequently some people use heavy profanity (I think there's still a line that divides heavy and 'light'), even in "normal and casual" conversation. Or on the metro rail cars. Bah! Who cares! [I do sometimes ask them politely to check their language, young punks or not.]

    Or how some college Spring breaks get WILD, yeaaaah! The terrible binge drinking, disorderly conduct and ... well, don't we know what wild orgies look and sound like. But it's a lotta fun!

    It is part of what drags societal values down the sewer.


    The NFL is really trying hard to keep behavioral matters in order, among its other tons of duties and goals, I suppose. As are the other pro leagues, especially in the US and the UK.


    Don't get me wrong. Not saying Christians don't falter, loose their cool or use profanity. Of course we do. Even St. Peter was caught in this - and he walked with the Lord. I falter. Every man stumbles and falters save for One.

    But this thing that I find to be the worst aberration in terms of gender, the ways of the gays ... sorry, I am totally, 100% against. [ Please don't make me spell out once more that it is the lifestyle that I refuse and hate, not the person him/herself (assuming the person is one of those you implied, that treats other people well.) ]


    Many of the so-called moral values are considered 'abstract' perhaps in the minds of MANY people for the benefit of doubt ("don't tase me bro!!!"). To me, it is sad, so sad and even tragic that there are religious and political bodies that even as we type, are becoming more relaxed in their respective spiritual and civil disciplines. And 'relaxed' could be interpreted as a euphemism for lazy or easy.


    Thank goodness there is still hope to do what is right.

    Morally right.


    Attachment 4357 - - Clic to enlarge ideal.

    You're comparing being indecent to others via explicit language and violence, including binge drinking at Spring Break with people who DID NOT CHOOSE their sexuality and did not do a damn thing wrong. Again, you're comparing acts of love with acts of violence and saying they're the same because the Bible says so. And honestly, when was the Bible written? You're telling me that's NOT old school? The Bible is as old school as you can get. It's archaic to a fault in the 21st century. It isn't matching up with a culture based on technology and science; and you wonder why people are becoming so "indecent and immoral." Don't get me wrong, I think the Bible can be a great tool for individuals to spread love and decency to their fellow human beings, but you're using it as a tool to spread hate, to divide instead of unite. To me there's nothing more beautiful than love. Who are you to say gay people in love isn't valid? That is what's disgusting. Like I said, I know you aren't going to change your beliefs, and that's completely fine, but this is something I feel I gotta stand up for. I've also tried to explain that what you're doing is putting every single gay person below you (kinda sounds like, gee, I don't know, racism in the 1900s), that's the message you're spreading when we really should all be equals and be judged on, like I said, how we treat each other. If you're okay with black people who--just like everyone else--didn't choose their skin color, which I assume you are, then why harp on people who didn't choose their sexuality? I can't imagine how hard it is to be gay and it's because of people like you. I love ya man (don't worry, no homosexuality implied) and have always enjoyed your posts, but like I said I'm quite disappointed that you can't see that your venom is really uncool and totally against growth as a society.
    Last edited by Varg6; -05-26-2014 at 12:32 PM.
    Bar-bq, FestusRam, citr92 and 1 others like this.



    Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

  2. #467
    MauiRam's Avatar
    MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Maui, Hi.
    Age
    70
    Posts
    4,958
    Rep Power
    79

    Re: The Official Michael Sam "Off-the-Field" Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Hey, Maui. Forgot about this post, sorry.

    As best I can muster a reply, I could only say that the flower has its scent because the Creator put it there.
    It's really very simple isn't it.

    Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Providing we're talking about a nicely aromatic, aesthetically looking flower and a pleasant bird song.
    No, no provisions, just what is.

    Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Not sure if you were hinting that M.Sam might smell nice or sing well?
    No, I wasn't hinting anything at all. Thanks for answering.

  3. #468
    VegasRam's Avatar
    VegasRam is offline Ram MVP
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,409
    Rep Power
    53
    Very nice, Maui. Absolutely nailed it.

    I have a Harley t-shirt that says "If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand".
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

  4. #469
    ramsbruce's Avatar
    ramsbruce is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    FIRING SCHOTTY
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,811
    Rep Power
    52

    Re: The Official Michael Sam "Off-the-Field" Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Everything you say is the homophobic version of "I'm not racist but..."
    Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Sure it is T. Maybe you should have your eyes / ears checked. You may be suffering from selective hearing.
    The definition of homophobia is as follows;

    noun: homophobia
    1. an extreme and irrational aversion to homosexuality and homosexual people.

    These quotes from multiple threads posted below from you Realram are definitely extreme, and some are definitely irrational when pertaining to gay people. The very definition of homophobia, as I posted above.

    Quote Originally Posted by RealRam
    For me, though I realize it won't happen, I wish ALL draft boards drop him off completely.

    But then, that would not only be going against the grain (e.g., NFL commissioner Goodell having a lefty brother; former commissioner Tagliabue having a homo son), as modern day societal trends go (even 1st lady Michele Obama's has sent a congratulatory message to Sam [the man?!?], or the XXII Winter Olympics reluctantly "having" to "respect" these kind of people), it would also ruin the party by the scandal -- and therein, the distraction -- that an avalanche of discriminatory law suits would produce.

    I feel there are NFL players that truly feel uncomfortable having MS teammates in their locker room or on the field as opponents. As in having a real or imaginary disease, the "koodies", etc.

    Often this reflects an evolution that is based on solidarity and support, on a so-called modern and progressive understanding. But to imagine the NFL rosters a few years from now growing in numbers of gay players (probably even willing to accept their little rainbow symbols either as part of their special uniforms or on flags of euphoric fans in the stands) ... it makes me shudder.

    What next -- NFL gay players kissing on the mouth after a win on live TV? Or, celebrating in gay fashion their NFL G.A.Y. parties (Gay Anniversary Yodle)? Picture that living room scenario among wholesome families. [ Once more, I know it is becoming more and more prevalent, starting in collegiate programs; but, to me it is S.O.S.: simply / obscene / sickening. ] How about transvestites kissing their favorite NFL player after a score and leap onto the stands... I see this as consequential, almost inevitable. "Oh, what's that you say -- there will be new rules for excessive celebration among players wearing a rainbow decal on their helmet? Oh, I see. Fairness and consideration rules for non-gay players."

    To me, however, it is downright an abhorrent human aberration. That's why I would not want to see MS in the NFL, less we begin to witness other sequels and results of this human lifestyle that I see as shamefully ill, degenerated, and crass as per the gay behaviors that I mentioned in my initial post. Infected behaviors that I would anticipated among players, the media, and fans interacting.

    Please rest assured I will never cheer for a known homo player, regardless of the sport.

    There is no doubt in my mind that, as time goes by, the more relaxed and lenient the NFL (and other pro leagues) would become about gay "rights" and the more common it would be, and commonly accepted, to see some sort of rainbow trademark on a helmet decal or uniform patch -- just as they are often displayed on motorcar windows, clothing, bikes, etc. Little by little, these types of emblems will lose the 'absurdity' that you alluded to. They will be displayed with more openness and pride, of course. Gay pride.

    A few more years in the NFL, it would not surprise me to see gay parades as a normal part of the half-time shows. For me, this is sad. Sickening.

    Just imagine "the news" when the first openly transvestite approaches pro football as an undrafted FA -- an is accepted by an NFL team. The guy is so popular that he's even sent to the Pro-Bowl. Interviews galore, product endorsements and TV commercials big time; big boost to business. [He also sings well so, further down the road, this retired player is even invited to perform the national anthem at the Super Bowl -- dressed in his special gala gown.

    In fact, this "Kisstory" image makes me sick. T H A T's disturbing.

    For now, I'll share one vehement thought...
    How I wish MSam would have been drafted by the S.F. Forty ninnies instead!

    To think that perhaps even a transvestite may be cordially welcomed to perform the Star-Spangled Banner ... eeeek, reminds me of the peculiarly funny / offensive occasion when Roseanne Barr "sang" it at a MLB game in 1990 and then obscenely gestured at the end to the booing crowd. Maybe MSam has a better voice and sings better, I don't know, but that's not the point, obviously.

    Gay uniformed players kissing, of even frenching, other gay players or lovers after a game. Sure, why not! So it's on national TV, so what? One NFL gay player marries another gay guy. No problem, make sure it hits all those tabloid papers. It's the new norrrrm, the new, well established culture, baby!

    I hope MSam falls on his face and does not make the team for football failure, even if because another prospect beats him to it. That ... all this nauseating novelty would leave Rams camp. I know it won't but I'd prefer he be picked up by another franchise willing to go, and gain, media frenzy.

    BTW, some pictures in the Internet show gays parading nude in public and performing their specialties. Whether it's in the USA, Mexico, Japan, Holland, anything goes. "Hey, kids, welcome to the show!" No, it's nothing new but, again, shameless and vile. Truly sickening.

    The way I see it Av (as if it weren't clear by now), it is because MSam is, in the view of most believers, neither a he nor a she. Three's a crowd in the human species.
    After reading all of those quotes above from multiple threads by you realram, so many of your words above scream homophobia, which by definition is an extreme and irrational aversion to homosexuality and homosexuals.

    You are homophobic by definition.

    If you would have just left it at you don't agree with homosexuality, it doesn't fit in your religion, I expect most, if not all of us would have NO problem with that. I surely wouldn't have had a problem. Others have expressed those exact feelings. I respect those people's views. I don't agree, but I respect them. I don't respect homophobia, or any type of bigotry.

    You on the other hand went out of bounds and over the top hoping he falls off all draft boards. Wishing he got drafted by any other team, hoping Sam fails only because he's gay. You hope he can't make a career for himself in the nfl. Seems very hateful to me.

    You mention a bunch of times (way too many times actually, trying way too hard to convince us) how you work/worked with gay people and had no problem. Print this thread up for them, tell them you are "RealRam" let them read this thread, and THEN see how well you get along with your gay co-workers. I'm betting you wouldn't get along as well with most, if not all of them.

    So you can post all the pictures and smiley/emoticons you want. That doesn't change the fact that you are homophobic, your quoted posts above show that without a doubt. I hope, although as it stands now I doubt you will take a deep look into yourself and figure out why you care so much about what a stranger does behind closed doors that doesn't affect you at all, and no, just because he's a Ram doesn't mean his personal life affects you. If he's getting suspended or disciplined by the Rams or the league it does affect us as fans. His sexuality on the other hand doesn't change his status as a Ram, and therefore doesn't affect you or your life.

    Like I said earlier, you don't have to like or agree with being gay, that's ok, I have no problem with that. Your blatant homophobia, and you coming across with so much hatred on the other hand, is very sad, and what I don't respect or agree with.

    Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    But this thing that I find to be the worst aberration in terms of gender, the ways of the gays ... sorry, I am totally, 100% against. Please don't make me spell out once more that it is the lifestyle that I refuse and hate, not the person him/herself (assuming the person is one of those you implied, that treats other people well.
    You say you only refuse and hate the lifestyle and not the person. Yet you wanted Sam to "fall off all teams draft boards", "not make the Rams", "wish he got drafted by the whiners" etc. So you're hoping a young man won't be able to make an nfl career for himself only because he is gay, that is hateful and homophobic. Hoping he fails is not just about refusing/hating his lifestyle, it's pure hate towards him only because he's gay, whether you want to admit it, or not. If it was just about his lifestyle, you wouldn't be so adamant about Sam failing. You don't have to like or agree with his sexuality. I have no problem with that. The fact that you want him to fail and you would be so happy if he wasn't in the nfl at all only because he's gay is homophobic. You effectively outed yourself as homophobic starting back in the threads when Sam first came out months ago and continue to show with your words here that it's not just about his lifestyle.

    Take a look in the mirror and ask yourself, why you want Michael Sam to fail.
    TheBritishRam and SimSportPl like this.

  5. #470
    RealRam's Avatar
    RealRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    8,575
    Rep Power
    68

    Re: The Official Michael Sam "Off-the-Field" Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    And honestly, when was the Bible written? You're telling me that's NOT old school? The Bible is as old school as you can get. It's archaic to a fault in the 21st century. It isn't matching up with a culture based on technology and science; and you wonder why people are becoming so "indecent and immoral." Don't get me wrong, I think the Bible can be a great tool for individuals to spread love and decency to their fellow human beings, but you're using it as a tool to spread hate, to divide instead of unite. To me there's nothing more beautiful than love. Who are you to say gay people in love isn't valid? That is what's disgusting. Like I said, I know you aren't going to change your beliefs, and that's completely fine, but this is something I feel I gotta stand up for. I've also tried to explain that what you're doing is putting every single gay person below you (kinda sounds like, gee, I don't know, racism in the 1900s), that's the message you're spreading when we really should all be equals and be judged on, like I said, how we treat each other. If you're okay with black people who--just like everyone else--didn't choose their skin color, which I assume you are, then why harp on people who didn't choose their sexuality? I can't imagine how hard it is to be gay and it's because of people like you. I love ya man (don't worry, no homosexuality implied) and have always enjoyed your posts, but like I said I'm quite disappointed that you can't see that your venom is really uncool and totally against growth as a society.
    Never said the bible is not old school. Of course it is. Verrrry old school.

    "Archaic to a fault"? No, I don't think so. Technology and science, in the minds and eyes of many honest people only reaffirms the bible as the Word of God. As there are those that scorn the bible, there are also astronauts, astrophysicists, biologists, chemists, geologists, mathematicians, neurologists, that uphold their faith in scripture through their particular science and study. There ARE rocket scientist that are firm believers in th


    Using the old school / archaic argument against modern day culture is like saying that the main national foundation principles of 1776 are obsolete. Of course there are some political and even religious aspects that evolve and thus are modified, such as the racism you mentioned.

    But the pillars of faith, as it were, the core of moral standard are infallible. It is in this context that Christian living remains as good ol' school as ever...

    Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. - Heb. 13, v. 8

    All scripture is inspired by God and is[b] useful for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, so that everyone who belongs to God may be proficient, equipped for every good work. - II Tim. 3:16,17



    Frankly, this whole 'hate / homophobia' accusation often just flies on a tangent, wanting to go after the messengers rather than the message itself.


    The Official Michael Sam "Off-the-Field" Thread-1-1a-unfair.jpg - - Clic to enlarge the human hysteria.


    There are gay people that have renounced to their way of life, repented, accepted / converted to Christianity as straight individuals (please see post #349, p. 24). I don't buy the 'born that way' cop out. I don't see it the same as having been born with black, brown, white or yellow ethnicity / race.

    To me these inherent, "born with" situations you mention are VERY different.

    Yet once again ... for years I have worked alongside a few gay people, gotten along fine.


    That I find gay ways despicable in essence does not mean I have no respect for the individual, even if it is MSam. Now that does not mean I should have to support him as a player and candidate to make the team? In my case, au contraire.

    Football / athletic skills do not always grant, should not always guarantee, an automatic passport to any organization.


    PS: "Your venom is really uncool and totally against growth as a society." I am all for growth as a society but I believe one ought to contemplate WHAT KIND OF SOCIETY one is fostering. I'm for progress and improvement, not degradation and defilement.

    Again, there are different types, and I'm not referring to the social "cla$$es".

    Last edited by RealRam; -05-27-2014 at 05:21 PM. Reason: PS

  6. #471
    NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    2,462
    Rep Power
    74

    Re: The Official Michael Sam "Off-the-Field" Thread

    As I understand it a "phobia" is a fear. Arachnophobia is a fear of spiders. Claustrophobia is a fear of enclosed places. Thus, it follows that homophobia is a fear of homosexuals. There are millions of people in this country who disapprove of the gay lifestyle who do not fear them. This is just another PC BS word used by people who don't wish to tolerate those who are unaccepting of the gay lifestyle.

    And not for nothing, many people who don't accept it do so NOT BECAUSE of religious convictions but because they simply find it disgusting. It is both biologically and physiologically aberrant. This does NOT mean gays should be treated disrespectfully. But it DOES mean people have a right to view it for what it is without being labeled a "hater" or a "homophobe".

    Regardless of what we, the coaches, the players or anyone else thinks, the NFL does not discriminate in its personnel. If Michael Sam is deemed good enough to play football for the Rams or anyone else, he'll be kept- period.

  7. #472
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    19,041
    Rep Power
    171

    Re: The Official Michael Sam "Off-the-Field" Thread

    As my final post on this thread, I give you...

    My feelings about blue cheese.

    I don't like blue cheese. I, quite frankly, don't understand how anyone could like blue cheese. Nonetheless, I recognize that many people, do, in fact, like blue cheese.

    I have never avoided a restaurant because they serve blue cheese. If someone at my table orders blue cheese, I have no problem with it whatsoever. I would never try to persuade someone who likes blue cheese that they should not eat it, or that eating it is wrong.

    If someone were to offer me some blue cheese, I would simply say, "no, thank you." I would not be offended by the offer in the least bit, nor would I be tempted to try the blue cheese.

    Are we all getting the point here?
    LA Rammer likes this.

  8. #473
    ramsbruce's Avatar
    ramsbruce is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    FIRING SCHOTTY
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,811
    Rep Power
    52

    Re: The Official Michael Sam "Off-the-Field" Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    This is just another PC BS word used by people who don't wish to tolerate those who are unaccepting of the gay lifestyle.

    But it DOES mean people have a right to view it for what it is without being labeled a "hater" or a "homophobe".
    I don't agree in the specific case here of RealRam that it's a "PC BS word used by people who don't wish to tolerate those not accepting the gay lifestyle".

    As I said earlier there are people here who don't agree, or like Michael Sam's lifestyle, and have said so and left it at that. I have no problem with that at all. I don't see that thinking as homophobic at all.

    However RealRam wanted Sam to "fall off everyone's draft board", was upset that the Rams drafted him, and wished he was "drafted by the whiners". ALL OF THAT was said BEFORE realram or any of us know whether Sam will be a good NFL player, or a bust. So the only possible reason to want him to fail is because Sam is gay. That is where I don't agree.

    Adding to that, he brought up transvestites which has nothing to do with Sam, celebrating gay parties with the "G.A.Y. Gay Anniversary Yodel" whatever that means, and much more here, and in other threads. His words come across as hateful and are definitely an extreme and irrational aversion to homosexuals which is the very definition of homophobia. He might not be scared of gay people, but he sure made a lot of extreme and irrational posts regarding gay people. So in this case, I and apparently some other members who have said as much by posting think he is a homophobe. Maybe you don't, but I don't know how you can read through all of realram's posts starting back when Sam first came out, knowing the definition of homophobia and that it's not just about being "scared" and not see it plain as day.
    Last edited by ramsbruce; -05-27-2014 at 12:16 PM.
    Flippin' Ram likes this.

  9. #474
    BrokenWing's Avatar
    BrokenWing is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,730
    Rep Power
    36

    Re: The Official Michael Sam "Off-the-Field" Thread

    I have an honest question.

    Does it bother you (ok, two honest questions) if he is, like, really bother you, not just on a disagreement level? Also...if it does, why?
    "I've been saving the Universe for over a thousand years. I figure it owes me just this once."

  10. #475
    r8rh8rmike's Avatar
    r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    29 Palms, Ca.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,062
    Rep Power
    131

    Re: The Official Michael Sam "Off-the-Field" Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing View Post
    I have an honest question.

    Does it bother you (ok, two honest questions) if he is, like, really bother you, not just on a disagreement level? Also...if it does, why?
    The answers to those questions can't be gleaned from 32 pages of back and forth, and back and forth, and back and forth discussion?

    I actually find it silly that this never ending exercise is sustaining itself, especially since the discussion is now just going around in circles, with the same points being made over and over. IMO, it's all been said, but that's just the way I see it. That said, if people want to continue to discuss the issues, have at it. We knew there had to be an outlet for expression on the Sam situation, which is why we've let this thread go into territory that normally wouldn't be allowed.

    I have to say, the fact that the tone has remained civil despite the volatile topics, is admirable. Kudos to everyone for that.
    RealRam likes this.

  11. #476
    BrokenWing's Avatar
    BrokenWing is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,730
    Rep Power
    36

    Re: The Official Michael Sam "Off-the-Field" Thread

    I just don't want to assume anything, text can be deceiving. There is a significant difference between exuberant disagreement and being actually bothered by something.

    What I want to know is if the disagreement is simply moral/philosophical, or if they are actually bothered by the fact that RealRam says what he says. For example, I will disagree all day long with anti-gun advocates, but it doesn't bother me that they feel that way. I'm not going to hold it against them. It's ok to me that he feels this way, in that it doesn't actually bother me. It would bother me if he, for example, owned a rental property and kept a gay person from renting there and it would certainly bother me if he had the chance to save the life of a gay person but chose not to because they were gay.

    If he simply (as he states) doesn't support someone's homosexual nature then I don't really care, it's up to him to feel that way and it's not actually getting in the way of anything real.

    Edit: In fact, that's rather like people who say "I don't care what someone does in the privacy of their own home" if in the privacy of his thoughts but not in the actions of his character, he does not support homosexuality, I don't care.
    RealRam likes this.
    "I've been saving the Universe for over a thousand years. I figure it owes me just this once."

  12. #477
    RealRam's Avatar
    RealRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    8,575
    Rep Power
    68

    Re: The Official Michael Sam "Off-the-Field" Thread

    I love ya man ... and have always enjoyed your posts... - Varg6
    Hey V6, right back at you amigo.

    I meant to correspond this way to you yesterday.

  13. #478
    RealRam's Avatar
    RealRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    8,575
    Rep Power
    68

    Re: The Official Michael Sam "Off-the-Field" Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by R8rh8rmike View Post

    I actually find it silly that this never ending exercise is sustaining itself, especially since the discussion is now just going around in circles, with the same points being made over and over. IMO, it's all been said, but that's just the way I see it. ... We knew there had to be an outlet for expression on the Sam situation, which is why we've let this thread go into territory that normally wouldn't be allowed.

    I have to say, the fact that the tone has remained civil despite the volatile topics, is admirable. Kudos to everyone for that.
    You're right Mike, 'round and 'round it goes... But I've spoken my piece and realized from the beginning that it would turn into an "A2D" thread, inevitably. Agree 2 disagree. [ On the other hand, redundancy need only go so far. ]

    This is why I've made it a point to thank you ClanRam moderators for, a) The willingness to allow such a tough and controversial topic, and, b) Moderating it ClanRam style - despite 'a)'.


    A reflection of why Clan is the best.

  14. #479
    ramsbruce's Avatar
    ramsbruce is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    FIRING SCHOTTY
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,811
    Rep Power
    52

    Re: The Official Michael Sam "Off-the-Field" Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing View Post
    I have an honest question.

    Does it bother you (ok, two honest questions) if he is, like, really bother you, not just on a disagreement level? Also...if it does, why?
    To me, overall it's very disappointing. I'm not angry or bothered, but I'm also not going to sugarcoat things. I call things exactly how I see them.

  15. #480
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    32
    Posts
    19,867
    Rep Power
    154

    Re: The Official Michael Sam "Off-the-Field" Thread

    ESPYs: Michael Sam Receives Arthur Ashe Courage Award, 'We Can Save Lives' (Video)
    5:44 PM PDT 7/16/2014
    by Ashley Lee

    Michael Sam received the Arthur Ashe Courage Award at the ESPYs on Wednesday night, following his groundbreaking decision to come out in February and become the NFL's first openly gay player.

    After a comprehensive and emotional video reel, Sam took the Nokia Theatre stage to accept the award from Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, and was greeted by a standing ovation.

    "This year I had a lot of experience being part of something bigger than myself. At times, I felt like I'd been living in a massive storm, ... but the lessons learned love, respect and being true to yourself will never leave me," he said, fighting back tears.

    Sam then quoted Arthur Ashe "Start where you are, use what you have, do what you can," and noted, "Those were the words to live by, whether you're black or white, young or old, straight or gay. ... Football raised me, football taught me about hard work."

    He said of his groundbreaking standing, "The way I see it, my responsibility at this moment in history is to stand up for everyone out there who wants nothing to be themselves openly," revealing that he was asked to speak with someone who was considering committing suicide, but was moved not to because of his public announcement. "It's amazing to think that by doing what we can, we can all touch, change and even save lives."

    Sam then thanked his Mizzou family, Rams coaches and teammates, family and boyfriend Vito Cammisano, telling him, "You are my inspiration." He called the award "one of the thrills of my life, and I promise to spend the rest of my life trying to live up to this honor and trying to become the best football player I can."

    He closed by speaking directly to those out there, especially young people "who are feeling like they don't fit in and will never be accepted, please know this: great things can happen when you have the courage to be yourself." Upon ending his speech, Sam received a second standing ovation from the audience.

    The former University of Missouri defensive lineman first updated fans on his time since the draft, during which he was picked up by the St. Louis Rams. "It's been very positive," he said during ESPN's ESPYs preshow on the red carpet outside the Nokia Theatre at L.A. LIVE, noting that he loves being a pro player in his home state. Sam also praised head coach Jeff Fisher in his promise to provide a safe space for his new recruit: "We talked all about football, because that's what matters. I was not trying to make history, I'm just trying to make an NFL roster," Sam said of his early chats with Fisher, and added of his teammates, "They have had my back since day one."

    Looking back at his historic moment, Sam said he didn't think he was being particularly courageous enough to be awarded at the ESPYs. "When I came out, I thought I had told all my truth and that's all that matters. I didn't know at the time that I was trying to be an inspiration to anyone.... I have no regrets."

    Sam noted that the most difficult part of the experience was "probably sitting down and just texting my friends, saying, 'Hey, I'm about to come out, watch ESPN,' " but the most rewarding aspect was a particular piece of feedback he received. "The day I got drafted, a Missouri native, a marine, his son started bawling just like me, He told his father he was gay, and his father thanked me."

    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!



Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 435
    Last Post: -08-28-2010, 05:03 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: -02-26-2009, 04:44 PM
  3. The official " Lets draft Graham Harrell" thread
    By Shadesofgrey in forum NFL TALK
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: -12-02-2008, 07:23 PM
  4. Replies: 15
    Last Post: -03-05-2008, 08:18 PM
  5. Replies: 20
    Last Post: -04-29-2006, 01:47 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •