Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 242526272829303132333435 LastLast
Like Tree410Likes

Thread: The Official Michael Sam "Off-the-Field" Thread

Rambos is online now Registered User

Re: The Official Michael Sam "Off-the-Field" Thread

I don't think the Rams will be under any pressure to keep Sam. He was drafted by the Rams and my guess is we where the only team that was going to take him in the draft. But the reason we will get a pass if we cut him is we have the best D line in the NFL and it's not going to be a surprise to anyone in the know if he can't make our team. That said if he plays well and all the teams that have a need pass on him if he's cut should take some heat as to why they don't want to add a player that can improve their team.
    MauiRam likes this.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

The media can spin this however they like, and fans can speculate regarding whether the Rams might be under pressure to keep Michael Sam but, in the end, the decision may be made on the basis of the most mundane factor: money.

The Rams will keep a minimum of four DEs on the roster. Three of those spots are locked up (Robert Quinn, Chris Long, Williams Hayes). That means that Sam is competing for the fourth spot with Eugene Sims.

Sims is set to make $1.2M against the cap in 2014, and $2M in 2015. Sam is set to make $431K in 2014 and $521K in 2015. Therefore, the Rams can save nearly $800K in 2014, and $1.5M in 2015, if Sam beats out Sims.

With some big name players approaching FA (Quinn being the player who will receive the biggest raise), the Rams must be mindful of issues like this, and must try to clear cap space where they can. Therefore, if a player like Sam is deemed equal to a player like Sims, money could be the deciding factor.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -07-22-2014 at 03:27 PM.
    Nick, MauiRam, ramsbruce and 2 others like this.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

I seriously doubt there will be hysterics when / if he's cut.
    If there is any hint of it, the Rams can just put him on the practice squad until Thanksgiving. People might be paying attention in September, they won't care in November.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Michael Sam - DL - Rams

Rams DE Michael Sam says he's lost 13 pounds since OTAs, and will report to training camp at 257.
    Sam, who was listed at 261 at the Combine, said he's "faster and stronger." According to reporter Nick Wagoner, Sam has slimmed down so he can "help on special-teams coverage units." Although the off-the-field scuttlebutt rages on, Sam appears squarely focused on cracking the Rams' 53-man roster. Wagoner has projected that Sam will make the cut.
    Source: Nick Wagoner on Twitter

RealRam is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    The media can spin this however they like, and fans can speculate regarding whether the Rams might be under pressure to keep Michael Sam but, in the end, the decision may be made on the basis of the most mundane factor: money.

The Rams will keep a minimum of four DEs on the roster. Three of those spots are locked up (Robert Quinn, Chris Long, Williams Hayes). That means that Sam is competing for the fourth spot with Eugene Sims.

Sims is set to make $1.2M against the cap in 2014, and $2M in 2015. Sam is set to make $431K in 2014 and $521K in 2015. Therefore, the Rams can save nearly $800K in 2014, and $1.5M in 2015, if Sam beats out Sims.
    Would veteran DE Alex Carrington and veteran DT/DE Kendall Langford be in that money mix?

- -

Carrington & Langford

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post

Would veteran DE Alex Carrington and veteran DT/DE Kendall Langford be in that money mix?

- -

Carrington & Langford
    No. They were DEs when they played in 3-4 sets. With the Rams, they are DTs. Both play at 300+ lbs.

Randart is online now Registered User

I envision Sam as I did when we drafted him, being a guy who could be very very versatile. The very fact he is slimming down yet retaining or even improving his strength is huge to me. He could be a fill in at LB as well as along the D-Line, special teams is a nice bonus and glad to see he realizes that maybe the spot he starts and then just fills in as needed. Also Fish referred to his vision that GW would be finding all kinds of ways to get Sam out on special blitzing downs. This guy could be a real X factor for our team this season, if he makes the team as you guys pointed out...
    live4ramin likes this.

Sam never played LBer in high school or college. He's not filling in at LB in the NFL.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Fisher: Michael Sam not a distraction
    Updated: July 23, 2014, 1:10 PM ET
    ESPN.com news services

Openly gay rookie linebacker Michael Sam has "absolutely not" created a distraction for the St. Louis Rams, coach Jeff Fisher told ESPN Radio on Wednesday.

Fisher was asked on "Mike & Mike" to respond to Tony Dungy's comments that the media coverage following Sam's journey to become the first openly gay player to make an NFL roster would have caused him to pass on drafting him if he was still an NFL coach.

"Let's define distraction. There were a couple extra cameras during the early OTAs, there may have been an extra camera yesterday as the rookies reported and went on the field for the first time, but no, it's not," Fisher said Wednesday.

Fisher called Sam "a very passionate athlete" who is "very focused on trying to make this football team."

"We want to give Michael every opportunity, like I said over and over, to make this football team," Fisher said.

Dungy's comments to the Tampa Tribune for a story published Sunday created a backlash within traditional and social media. On Tuesday, in a statement released to media outlets, Dungy tried to clarify his original comments, saying he gave an "honest answer" to questions about Sam, and said he believes the linebacker deserves the chance to play in the NFL.

Sam, speaking Tuesday at St. Louis' training camp, laughed and brushed off Dungy's critical comments.

"It is what it is," he said. "What are you going to do about it?

"Thank God he wasn't the St. Louis Rams coach," Sam added. "I have a lot of respect for Coach Dungy, and like everyone in America, everyone is entitled to their own opinions."

Fisher said Wednesday that the Rams are "not treating [Sam] any differently than anybody else on this team." He also applauded Sam's reaction to Dungy's comments.

"I think his response to Tony's stuff yesterday was heartfelt and honest," Fisher said. "It's interesting that it's different inside the building than the perception is outside. Michael Sam is one of 14 defensive linemen we have on the roster. It's going to be very, very competitive at this position, as everybody knows."

Dungy, a former coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Indianapolis Colts, who is now an NBC Sports analyst, was asked on "The Dan Patrick Show" if his Christian faith influences his opinion when it relates to Sam.

"It does, and I accept that as a Christian," Dungy said. "I don't think people should expect me to back down on my faith, but this is not about that, this is a discussion about a particular player at a particular time."

Dungy said he hadn't thought about reaching out to Sam, but acknowledged he might do so now because of the controversy over his comments.

"No animosity toward him, even though I disagree with his lifestyle, I love him and wish him the best," Dungy said.

The time frame of when Dungy made his remarks is in question. Tribune reporter Ira Kaufman told "The Dan Patrick Show" on Tuesday that he talked to Dungy "a week or two back." In his statement Tuesday, Dungy said he made his comments when "the Oprah Winfrey reality show that was going to chronicle Michael's first season had been announced." However, that documentary series of Sam's rookie season was postponed in mid-May -- long before Dungy was interviewed by the Tribune, according to Kaufman.

On Wednesday, when asked on "The Dan Patrick Show" when he made his comments to the Tribune, Dungy still maintained that he talked to the newspaper "right after the draft."
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Sam never played LBer in high school or college. He's not filling in at LB in the NFL.

Really your a god send of info thanks for that tid bit your awesome insight is a true blessing where oh where would I be without it? I am such a lost lamb without your pointing out my conjectures that a young dog could learn a new trick! Stupendous! You just made my off season! Woot! You should be very proud your the be all & end all of the fountain of info on what a guy could be or ever will be! I bow to your supreme wisdom and over the top insight!

And as a LB I only thought to give him the freedom to bounce up and down the line to find his spot to attack from a stand up position not to necessairly fall back into coverage. But hey your the boss Coach here not me...
    Last edited by Randart; -07-23-2014 at 08:38 PM.

Wow. Maybe you should project him at SS also.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Logic 101 for "Journalists".

Why would one say "openly gay..." when referring to a gay individual in an article.

As opposed to "secretly"?

"Openly" presupposes that the individual has come out, so isn't that a bit redundant?
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Wow. Maybe you should project him at SS also.
    Almost getting the idea, but we have Ray Ray for that projection... But I hope for your whit and whisdom yet! Keep practicing you may yet find your nitch laddie!

1980RAMS is offline Registered User

I have a question for all long time rams fans.

if you do not support homosexuality and the rams keep Sam on the team.
    What do you do?

Do you support the team? Thinking going forward that by you supporting the team it will be assumed that you support homosexuality?

Do you watch the games with your kids?

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by 1980RAMS View Post
    I have a question for all long time rams fans.

if you do not support homosexuality and the rams keep Sam on the team.
    What do you do?

Do you support the team? Thinking going forward that by you supporting the team it will be assumed that you support homosexuality?

Do you watch the games with your kids?
    A question that I feel qualified to answer...

I do not support homosexuality, and I am a Rams fan. The answer is so much easier than you think. I'm going to use music to explain my answer, so please be patient.

I appreciate music - all types of music. This does not mean I like ALL music, but I appreciate the talent involved in turning vibrations of some material into a complex symphony of sound. 99.9% of the "music" listened to by most people today is computer-generated crap, and I do not like it.
    Elton John, Melissa Ethridge, Freddy Mercury, Rob Halford, Cole Porter, and Billy Preston are just a few of the many gay musicians. (No, I do not consider Clay Aiken to be a musician - or Ricky Martin, or Boy George...) I do not approve of their lifestyles, but I will fight, scream, and argue the merits of their music. Think of a world without "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road". The intensity of the pain conveyed in "Similar Features" is striking. Without Mercury's amazing voice, generations would be deprived of singing the word "Scaramouche". Would anyone have survived the 80's without "Breaking The Law" or "Screaming For Vengeance"? Cole Porter kicked out "Night And Day", one of the favorite songs of the 1930's. Without Billy Preston, "Get Back", "Let It Be" ,and many other songs either wouldn't exist, or would sound so much different. And would Christmas even be Christmas without the sound of the "Nutcracker Suite" by Tchaikovsky?

So, if you haven't figured it out by now, you can support the team, you can support Sam's talent and abilities, you can even cheer for his performance, but you do not have to support his lifestyle. His football skills are separate from his private life. Let's respect him as a person and keep it that way, and allow him to respect us by keeping the two separate.
    citr92 likes this.