Page 10 of 42 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Like Tree150Likes

Thread: OFFICIAL (and only) "Rams to L.A." Thread

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Re: OFFICIAL (and only) "Rams to L.A." Thread

Getting smacked by the Bus; Bettis says no to LA return

Former Los Angeles Rams and Steelers running back Jerome Bettis was making the media rounds on Tuesday and it can only mean one thing - he's making a comeback to the NFL. And since reboots dominate Hollywood these days, who says that he cannot join Tiki Barber to remake the "Over the Hill Gang?"

So what do you say, Jerome, are you coming back to the NFL?

"(Laughter) Absolutely … not," Bettis said. "I wish."

Wait, what? You want to be back in the NFL?

"For the money they are making now, sure."

Well, you might want to ask Peyton Manning about that Jerome, he had to take a paycut to $90 million, so they are not exactly rolling in dough.

L.A. Football Story

But alas, there is no comeback to his NFL career. And he quickly dispelled rumors that he was going to leverage his cameo in The Office to taking over for Michael Scott on the NBC hit. Instead, Bettis has become a proponent of concussion testing and has teamed with Dick's Sporting Goods to spread the word on concussion testing as part of the Pace Program, which will provide baseline concussion testing for middle and high school athletes.

Adding further irony, Bettis doled out his share of concussions during his days as the "The Bus." Or as he was known during his early days in the NFL as the "Battering Ram." That's right, Anaheim Stadium as the place to be in 1993. Bettis was the NFL Rookie of the Year. Tim Salmon was the American League Rookie of the Year. A young writing prodigy named Adam Rank was covering both for the Orange County Sports Page. Oh it was heady times.

Those Rams fans were some of the best. The team never won more than five games a season during Bettis' time in Anaheim as management was plotting a move to Baltimore one year, and eventually St. Louis, but the fans still came out.

So Jerome, do you recall those times with fondness?

"Absolutely," Bettis said. "They gave my opportunity to play tailback. I was a fullback at Notre Dame. Nobody thought I could play tailback, but they gave me a chance. It was special to me. My finest work. Though, I was more a fullback in a running back's body because I tried to hit everything."

And the NFL should totally return to Los Angeles right?

"I would probably say no," Bettis said.

Wait, what?

"Los Angeles is a transient town," Bettis explained. "A huge amount of those people have loyalty to another team. To try to develop fans, that would be difficult for a new team to do."

I am willing to cut Bettis some slack here because, as he told me as part of work with the Pace Program, the NFL really didn't do baseline concussion testing while he was playing. Because how else can you explain the regurgitation of some of the same tired stereotypes, because somehow the Angels, Lakers, Kings, Clippers, Ducks and Dodgers find a way to bring fans in on a nightly basis. Not to mention the huge crowds that USC brought in during the Pete Carroll era.

This is why you should never talk to your heroes, kids. It only ends in disappointment.

Oh wait, that's right, my hero Magic Johnson wants to help bring a team back to Los Angeles. But Bettis' point on Los Angeles as a sports town actually makes for a more compelling case for the Rams to return to home because there is an existing fan base.

But I guess we can agree to disagree for right now.

Despite his views on the return to Los Angeles, I still believe that Bettis deserves to be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Bettis did not make the final cut this season during his first year of eligibility, despite ranking fifth all-time in rushing yards, five spots ahead of this year's enshrine Marshall Faulk.

But in any event, Bettis says that it is an honor just to be nominated, and if he doesn't, he will be happy knowing that he played "the right way."

Just don't expect a real warm reception if he's added to the new Los Angeles Rams' Ring of Honor

Quote Originally Posted by theodus69 View Post
    The missourians thinking their team will stay and the LA(ians) just wanting back what was took from them by someone who never should have owned a team in the first place.
    Georgia reminds me of the old lady mother of Cameron Diaz on Any Given Sunday who is owns the team and a ditz.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Mar Ram View Post
    RAMS 4 Life .... no matter where ....
    AMEN TO THAT BROSKI!!!!!

netminder is offline Registered User

Hey fellow L.A rams fan their is a website that is selling tickets for the rams games in arizona and san fran so L.A can show their support for the return of the rams.

Hey guys for those of you that live in the L.A area there is a group sale for rams tickets to S.F and arizona brought to you by los angeles rams a group dedicated to bringing the rams home. if you need the link pm me because I know it's against the rules to post links here.

Rally tonite to bring the rams back to L.A is being held at jt's in anaheim. Greg bell, mike lansford and Ron brown are going to be there.

Hey guys just a little update from the rally yesterday. It was awesome I got pictures with Mike Lansford, Rich Delpino, Greg Bell and Ron Brown. I am a skeptic about the rams returning and ask the organizers what are really the chance. They Said better than most people think. Then they gave me the reason which I will post later. The council vote on the new stadium tueday. I will keep you posted.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by netminder View Post
    Hey guys just a little update from the rally yesterday. It was awesome I got pictures with Mike Lansford, Rich Delpino, Greg Bell and Ron Brown. I am a skeptic about the rams returning and ask the organizers what are really the chance. They Said better than most people think. Then they gave me the reason which I will post later. The council vote on the new stadium tueday. I will keep you posted.
    100%.

... in favor of the stadium deal. So, it's moving forward and now we just need the environmental impact study and a team (or two) to commit. Yes, the feeling around here in the sports circle is that the Chargers and Rams are coming. Don't shoot me, I'm just repeating what I've heard on the local sports stations.

I'll believe it when I see it in writing...
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    100%.

... in favor of the stadium deal. So, it's moving forward and now we just need the environmental impact study and a team (or two) to commit. Yes, the feeling around here in the sports circle is that the Chargers and Rams are coming. Don't shoot me, I'm just repeating what I've heard on the local sports stations.

I'll believe it when I see it in writing...
    Not hatin' on you. I too would be happy if I was a west coast RAM Fan, but I'll believe it when the moving trucks have emptied RAMS Park, and filled the West Coast facility.

GO LA Jaguars!!!

GO LA Vikings!!!

gap

ManofGod is offline Registered User

The official word is that if the Rams were to move it would yield a hard penalty thus the Rams are staying in St. Louis. As of today it seems that the only 2 teams that could go to L.A. are San Diego & Oakland (it was on Sports Center this morning).

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    The official word is that if the Rams were to move it would yield a hard penalty thus the Rams are staying in St. Louis. As of today it seems that the only 2 teams that could go to L.A. are San Diego & Oakland (it was on Sports Center this morning).
    No way in hell would the NFL let the Oakland Raiders come back to SO Cal after the Al Davis debacle in 94 where he left a deal on the table and moved back to Oakland. Maybe if the cripkeeper dies then the NFL would reconsider.

As far as the Rams are concerned they cannot get out of their lease until 2014 so the chances appear bleak at best for them to move. The Chargers and the Rams would be the most likely and best suited to move to LA though.

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    No way in hell would the NFL let the Oakland Raiders come back to SO Cal after the Al Davis debacle in 94 where he left a deal on the table and moved back to Oakland. Maybe if the cripkeeper dies then the NFL would reconsider.

As far as the Rams are concerned they cannot get out of their lease until 2014 so the chances appear bleak at best for them to move. The Chargers and the Rams would be the most likely and best suited to move to LA though.
    Not saying I'm for or against a move but the Rams do have a lease until 2014 however if they do decide to break it the financial penalty has already been talked about being paid by whoever the recipient of the group is.

And ya no way the NFL moves or does anything with Al Davis anymore... sure they won't have to wait to much longer before he's not the owner of the franchise. Anyways, I don't think LA would want them back with the whole Raider/hood image that caused problems. Watched a episode about that.

This just sounds like a sig. and public appearence type of thing not a rally. And every time I hear the word rally it makes me think of my days living in Alabama where there was alot of ol' boys throwing on sheets and rallying at night time....

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ZiaRam View Post
    Not saying I'm for or against a move but the Rams do have a lease until 2014 however if they do decide to break it the financial penalty has already been talked about being paid by whoever the recipient of the group is.

And ya no way the NFL moves or does anything with Al Davis anymore... sure they won't have to wait to much longer before he's not the owner of the franchise. Anyways, I don't think LA would want them back with the whole Raider/hood image that caused problems. Watched a episode about that.
    AEG has already stated that they would be willing to buy out any existing lease......

...and before you say anything AV, this is not a rumor, it was stated earlier in print.

June 09, 2011|By SCOTT M. REID

"Leiweke also said AEG is prepared to pay the cost of for an NFL franchise to get out of a current lease so as to relocate to Los Angeles.
    "Just as an example, if it's San Diego, they would have to pay $24 million under their agreement to get out of the lease," Leiweke said. "We would pay that."
    Last edited by RAMFANRAIDERHATER; -08-10-2011 at 09:54 PM.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

The owner of the Vikings just came out and said they are not moving to L.A. Where is stan saying the Rams are not going anywhere.

Ramendola16 is offline Registered User

The owner of the Vikings just came out and said they are not moving to L.A. Where is stan saying the Rams are not going anywhere.
    Per an ESPN article:

"I'm going to attempt to do everything that I can to keep the Rams in St. Louis," Kroenke told theSt. Louis Post Dispatch. "Just as I did everything that I could to bring the team to St. Louis in 1995. I believe my actions speak for themselves."

"There's a track record," Kroenke told the newspaper. "I've always stepped up for pro football in St. Louis. And I'm stepping up one more time."

"I'm born and raised in Missouri," Kroenke told the newspaper. "I've been a Missourian for 60 years. People in our state know me. People know I can be trusted. People know I am an honorable guy."