throwback week

Page 30 of 43 FirstFirst ... 202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
Like Tree154Likes

Thread: OFFICIAL (and only) "Rams to L.A." Thread

RamingtoLA is offline Registered User

Re: OFFICIAL (and only) "Rams to L.A." Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MoonJoe View Post
    The NFL was actually toying with the idea of having the 50th anniversary Super Bowl in the LA Coliseum too.
    If you want I can pm you the link. They are biding on it.

RamingtoLA is offline Registered User

Reading between lines on Goodell, Rams

February, 3, 2012
    FEB 3
    4:56
    PM ET

By Mike Sando

INDIANAPOLIS -- If Rams owner Stan Kroenke wasn't going to cut the St. Louis stadium authority any slack, neither was NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

They simply aren't going to profess their love for St. Louis while trying to leverage stadium improvements under a lease that could expire following the 2014 season.

Goodell, speaking at his annual Super Bowl news conference Friday, followed the impersonal tack Kroenke set during the news conference to announce Jeff Fisher as head coach last month. Both recited the facts when asked about keeping the Rams in St. Louis.

"We want to keep our franchises where they are, so we'd love to have the St. Louis Ramsstay in St. Louis," Goodell said.

Well, then. The NFL wants the Rams to stay in St. Louis not necessarily for St. Louis, but because it wants its teams to stay put in general.

"There are lease issues that are going through the process," Goodell continued. "They were articulated very clearly in the lease. Both parties are engaging in that, and their having that dialogue will allow that process to play out, and at that point in time (it) will be more clear about what the issues are and what we need to do to resolve them."

The stadium authority got itself into this mess, he essentially said, so now it must deal with the consequences. And in the end, we'll find out whether St. Louis can pony up adequately.

This was a sweet deal from the beginning for the Rams, and the price of doing business for the city.

Goodell, asked whether upgrading the Edward Jones Dome to the NFL's standards was realistic in a mid-level market, went back to reciting the facts.

"Well, thatís what they agreed to, both the representatives of St. Louis and the team, when the team relocated back into the St. Louis market in the mid-'90s," he said.

As much as St. Louis-based Rams fans might want their team's ownership and the league to offer more convincing assurances, it's apparently not going to happen as long as leverage is at stake. That doesn't necessarily mean the Rams are bent on leaving town. But they will work for the best deal they can get, wherever it might be

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Truth
    The Cards averaged 37,946 in their last 5 years in STL. Since L.A. had no team from 2007-2011, those numbers are rather pointless as a comparison.
    What? Going to have disagree with you on two points there, Truth:

1. Who gives two craps what the Cards averaged? None of us are Cards fans, and most of the St. Louis Rams fans were never Cards fans. A good number of our fans were not even alive when Bidwell left town. The Cards attendance has no relevance whatsoever to this conversation. Nor does....

2. ....LA's lack of a team. St. Louis Rams attendance numbers are what they are regardless of what does or does not happen in LA.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Truth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    What? Going to have disagree with you on two points there, Truth:

1. Who gives two craps what the Cards averaged? None of us are Cards fans, and most of the St. Louis Rams fans were never Cards fans. A good number of our fans were not even alive when Bidwell left town. The Cards attendance has no relevance whatsoever to this conversation. Nor does....

2. ....LA's lack of a team. St. Louis Rams attendance numbers are what they are regardless of what does or does not happen in LA.
    Don't get your knickers in a twist HUb. The numbers stuff started because someone asked about attendance comparisons. Since they were not a fan when there was a transition, they wondered about the differences between LA and STL. I agree, the numbers are the numbers. I threw out the 37K number (pointless) because someone else threw out another pointless number.

I know there are many that feel that the team should stay in STL. There are at least an equal number that feel they should move. Personally, I don't care if they stay or go. I want the team to be in a place that wants them, and will support them. AND, I just want them to win...consistantly. I also want the stands at home games filled with Rams fans. If attendance is up in the dome but it's because of tickets being sold to the opposing teams' fans, i have an issue (as most of us do) with that.

There are a lot of raw emotions for many fans on this board. The L.A. fans feel that their team was taken from them. It is not for anyone to say whether they have, or do not have the right to feel that way. There are also those that have already experienced a team leaving STL, and are very nervous about that happening again. No matter what happens with the ED negotiations, there are going to be lots of hurt feelings, and comparisons made. Numbers (however lame, from both side of the argument) will be part of that...especially until the dome issue is resolved. Sit back, relax, offer your comments. Just don't jump down peoples' throats when they offer info you don't like, or feel is relevant.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Don't get your knickers in a twist HUb.
    No worries, Truth. I'm not even sure what knickers are, twisted or untwisted.
    Just don't jump down peoples' throats when they offer info you don't like, or feel is relevant.
    A far cry from jumping down anyone's throat. And I always welcome relevant factual info. Hope to see more of it during the rest of this ED dome process.
    Last edited by HUbison; -02-04-2012 at 02:40 PM.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Everyone wanna know something funny. I thought for some reason RFRH8R was talking about the St Louis BASEBALL Cardinals attendance and them being band wagon jumpers. Opps lol

That is why I challenged him to tell me a time when they weren't pretty close to average or above.

O and has anyone taken into consideration how many Cardinal football fans there still are in St Louis? Their team was moved just like the Rams. My best friend growing up and his dad were Cardinal fans before they moved and still are. So considering we still have the ones left over from the Cardinal days I think attendance for the Rams is pretty good.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is online now Registered User

About the "twisted knickers and anomosity thing...."

People like myself from LA/OC are tired of the "LA can't support a team" BS. It is NOT fact, and when someone spews out that comment it just gets real irritating and some, like myself, feel the need to stand up and defend our city and ourselves. So when someone throws a punch (even in the form of a taunting post), I tend to block and counter punch. Just my nature I guess.

LA is very supportive of its sports teams. If you do not believe it, just check out the stats of the local teams last year, all which were in down years competitively. The Dodgers, even with all the nonsense going on with their lame owner, were still way above league averages. In fact, they were still in the top 11 and only ~2,000 below the WS Champion Cards in average attendance. The Angels were 5th in league attendance despite a non-playoff year. BTW, averaging more than the Stl Cards who made the playoffs and won the whole thing. The Lakers were 8th in the league last year, and even the lowly Clippers were above average at #14. The NHL Kings were 13th of 30 teams, while the Ducks were the worst draw in LA/OC pro sports at 25th of 30 teams. But they were still nearly 85% full each game despite a very poor year on the ice. ...and that's hockey in California!! LA/OC will support their teams even when they're not playing for championships. When they are competitive, it gets even better of course. So let's stop the "LA doesn't support their teams" crap and the rebuttals and comparisons will end too. Both the Stl fans AND the LA fans will support a winning team, and the support in both cities will suffer if they see no hope of being competitive.

Of course the Ram fans of LA are still hurting over the loss of their favorite team. Just as the Stl fans are combative over the possibility of losing "their" team. We are ALL emotionally involved in this. I would be extremely disappointed if the Rams fans in Stl just said; "oh well, who cares". They're fighting for their team just as we would, or as the Ram fans of any other city would IF they had them in their own backyard. The only reason the non-Stl/LA fans "don't care where they play because I'll still root for them" is because they have little chance of seeing them play in-person anyway, and again because there's no connection with their place of residence. In the end though, we ALL just want the Rams to win and become relevent again. With only a scant few years of the GSOT, the Rams have been a non-factor since "she-who-will-not-be-mentioned" and John Shaw took control of the team. Now, with a new owner and Shaw finally out of the picture, there is hope, be it in Stl or LA. If you asked me if I had the choice between a very successful Rams team in Stl, or a team that resembled the disaster of an organization that "she-who-will-not-be-mentioned" back in LA, I'd definitely say "Stl Rams". I don't want them to move anywhere if it's not going to improve their status and relevence in the NFL. With all things being equal though, I truely believe that the Rams would be more successful in terms of sales and marketing if their residence were "LA" and not "Stl". Not because the fans are better here, and not because I live here, but because the market is bigger with much more potential.

The reason the comparisions are valid between the NFL Cardinals and the LA/OC Rams (and I did not make the comparisions, but used them after someone else posted them) is because the situations of both were very similar. The fans here in LA/OC hated "she-who-will-not-be-mentioned" as much or more than the fans of Stl hated Bill Bidwell. They both knew that as long as they were in charge, the team would not be competitive. And because of that, attendance suffered. In both cases, the local community was too slow to come up with a viable answer to the stadium problems and the teams moved, getting better stadium deals elsewhere. The final 5 years or so of the Rams in Anaheim were miserable because we watched "she-who-will-not-be-mentioned" tear apart a once-proud and relevent team with the sole purpose of driving down attendance so she would get a sweetheart deal and move them. Hell, eveyone knows the movie "Major Leagues" was written with "she-who-will-not-be mentioned" as the role model. She dumped good player after good player, cut spending down to the point of being ridiculous, and destroyed the fans trust. Very similar to the Bidwell scenario, and the attendance in Stl at that time was even worse than what happened in Anaheim through the final years.

Do not forget that the LA Rams set many attendance records when they played in the LA Coliseum, which was (and still is) an awful place to watch football. Some of those records lasted well beyond the '90's, I believe. When the Rams were in LA, before the loss of their owner, Mr. Rosenbloom, the Rams were THE team in LA. I see an opportunity here for Stan to do something really remarkable with this franchise, and that is to move them to LA into a brand new state-of-the-art facility (and he has two choices to choose from) at no cost to him OR the taxpayers of LA. The TV market is the second largest in the country, which can only improve the Rams relevence and increase sales or merchandise worldwide, which of course is his vision. It is a no-brainer the way I see it. This is not a knock against the wonderful fans we have in Stl, but simply a good business deal. The fact that I live in the LA area makes the deal sweeter for me, I'll admit, but it is what it is. My feelings at this moment, taking everything I see, read and hear (and I'm not talking about just locally) are that the Rams will move back to LA into a new stadium along with the Chargers. I also believe that SB L will be played in LA and the Rams could very well be the team representing the NFC.

Hey, it's my dream, let me have it until the time comes that it is no longer possible.

IF Stan sees it otherwise and keeps the team in Stl, and makes them relevent again, I'll be just as happy, trust me. The most important thing for me as a Rams fan is for them to be competitve year-after-year, and once again be in the mix come playoff time. When I can join in a conversation with other football fans and not hear snickers of laughter when I admit to the Rams being my team, I'll be a happy camper.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

theodus69 Guest

Stan 's envolvement in the purchase of the Dodgers and his place in Malibu are not a just in the same interest , but part of the pplan for the move, The Stadium isnt even in the ground breaking stage , when that happens , the fans of STL should be worried because that means the deal could be very real. Goodell doesn't assure anybody about the Rams situation and that is kind of a good sign in almost all cases that the move could be very real. Wait on the ground breaking of the stadium.................that's when this thread will get crazy!!!

This thread has ventured well beyond usefulness and reason. It's down to not much more than geographical vitriol, and I feel ashamed that I have 1) added to that, and 2) taken 30 pages to see it.

Have fun, kids. I'm out of this thread.
    GROUND DOG 39 and FestusRam like this.

MoonJoe is online now Ram MVP

This thread has ventured well beyond usefulness and reason. It's down to not much more than geographical vitriol, and I feel ashamed that I have 1) added to that, and 2) taken 30 pages to see it.

Not me, I live for this thread! Everyday is something new and exciting. Will they, wont they? He said, she said. Will not, will too, you suck , no you do! It's great. I am hoping for some kind of thread record and to be carried through the beginning of what could be a good season next year. Quit? HELL NO, I'm a RAMS fan!!!
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Not only that but you are top poster in this thread.

Which I can't say much I am number two lol.

Anyways I think I will follow you and not join in anymore it is reached the point of being ridiculous.

I can't do this anymore I didn't realize I had dedicated close to 40 post to this thread. It is basically just 30 pages of the same stuff over and over again.

jackson3909 is offline Registered User

rams are gonna be horrible its stupid we got no qb or receivers

supachump is offline Registered User

Personally, I think Stan's involvement in the Dodgers is purely a leverage play. And as far as a house in Malibu? The guy is rich enough to have houses everywhere. Which he does.

Quote Originally Posted by theodus69 View Post
    Stan 's envolvement in the purchase of the Dodgers and his place in Malibu are not a just in the same interest , but part of the pplan for the move, The Stadium isnt even in the ground breaking stage , when that happens , the fans of STL should be worried because that means the deal could be very real. Goodell doesn't assure anybody about the Rams situation and that is kind of a good sign in almost all cases that the move could be very real. Wait on the ground breaking of the stadium.................that's when this thread will get crazy!!!

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

The most interesting part of this thread is the lack of anyone pointing out the most obvious factor:

Mrs. Kroenke!

You see, she's got a LOT to do with Wal-Mart. In fact, you might as well say she IS Wal-Mart. And, since Wal-Mart is from Arkansas, we have to figure that into the equation. Not only that, but I know for a fact that we have a member that works for Wal-Mart - and he knows something!

Now, if we really want the truth, there are 10,020 Wal-Mart stores worldwide, 5552 of them in the US. Now, we know some places have more than one Wal-Mart. What we need to consider is that the Rams MUST be located in a city that has a Wal-Mart!

After extensive research (meaning I googled something about Wal-Mart and glanced at the page), a lot of footwork (meaning that I went to Wal-Mart and laughed at some of the people who shop there), and in-depth interviews with persons who should know (meaning I said hello to the greeter at one of the stores), and seeing evidence with my own two eyes (I stopped at a Wal-Mart that had Rams merchandise), I KNOW where the Rams are moving to:

WAYNESVILLE, MISSOURI.

Truth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by supachump View Post
    Personally, I think Stan's involvement in the Dodgers is purely a leverage play. And as far as a house in Malibu? The guy is rich enough to have houses everywhere. Which he does.
    I don't even know if the offer on the Dodgers is a leverage play. If you were a billionaire building a sports empire, and one of the most storied franchises in baseball was for sale, wouldn't you put in an offer? I think Stan wants to own the Dodgers.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!