Page 34 of 42 FirstFirst ... 24252627282930313233343536373839404142 LastLast
Like Tree150Likes

Thread: OFFICIAL (and only) "Rams to L.A." Thread

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Re: OFFICIAL (and only) "Rams to L.A." Thread

MJ I really can't sympathize with that thinking. All I have to say is worst 5 year run in nfl history 15-65.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

From Jim Thomas' RAM Chat on 1/18.
    Jim, Are you as confident as Burwell and Bernie that the Rams stay in St. Louis? You have said 60/40 they say but those guys are very confident. To be honest I dont understand why they take everything Demoff says at face value. What is the guys supposed to say? He has to sell PSL's and jerseys....

by Frank 11:09 AM

I'll just say they're talking to more people than Kevin Demoff. And partly from what I'm hearing, I'm raising the odds to 65-35.

by jthomas 11:10 AM

gap

mh-i is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    My point still stands. This franchise went to crap starting in 1990, not right after CR's death 11 years earlier.
    That is fact.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Gosh, that must have been tough on you guys. Going to the playoffs in only 7 of 10 years.

My point still stands. This franchise went to crap starting in 1990, not right after CR's death 11 years earlier.
    Actually it was rough on us, there was always promise, but never any real hope. I guess you guys would have to live through it to understand. I still don't consider four unsuccessful wild card games winning. What that translates to me is they were better than all of the bad teams in the rest of the NFC. Big deal. Always, a bridesmaid, never a bride. And as Mac pointed out, the queen really never did anything with the team, until it was time to move and reap the financial benefits. Personally I never get into these discussions until someone says that LA/OC never supported the team and that's just not true. They supported the team, just not the owner. So she took her ball and went home.
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Quote Originally Posted by sjacksonrules View Post
    MJ I really can't sympathize with that thinking. All I have to say is worst 5 year run in nfl history 15-65.
    I wasn't looking for sympathy...

Jack Youngblood

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mh-i View Post
    That is fact.
    I once had a fine fireplace. it withstood the wind rain and never let me down. One day, one brick came out. It was still standing tall though and i did not notice the difference. I then noticed another brick had fallen out. i was worried but hey, it still did it's job. But after a few years, there were quite a few bricks that had fallen out and then it simply collapsed. My recollection of the 1980's AFTER CR.
    MoonJoe likes this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Actually it was rough on us, there was always promise, but never any real hope. I guess you guys would have to live through it to understand.
    Well, unfortunately, the Rams fans that were added to the roles after the move to St. Louis have never been saddled with the burden that is cheering for 7 playoff teams in a 10 year span. May God have mercy on our souls.
    I still don't consider four unsuccessful wild card games winning. What that translates to me is they were better than all of the bad teams in the rest of the NFC. Big deal.
    Actually, yea, it is a big deal. How many other teams went to the playoffs 7 times in the 80's? Not many.
    And as Mac pointed out, the queen really never did anything with the team, until it was time to move and reap the financial benefits.
    Everyone agrees on that. Hasn't this been a Shaw-run franchise since CR's death?
    Personally I never get into these discussions until someone says that LA/OC never supported the team and that's just not true. They supported the team, just not the owner. So she took her ball and went home.
    I'm sure there were plenty of diehards out there. But I believe this discussion is centered on when exactly the attendance numbers turned south. Some continue to say that attendance was fine until the 90's. But the numbers posted earlier show a decline through the 80's. The argument then being that the franchise went to crap in the 80's. I'm just not sure that last point can be made with much accuracy.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by MoonJoe View Post
    Always, a bridesmaid, never a bride.
    I would rather be a bridesmaid than 15-65 and be the DJ at the reception.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sjacksonrules View Post
    I would rather be a bridesmaid than 15-65 and be the DJ at the reception.
    But at least the DJ usually hooks up with the drunk bridesmaid that is afraid she's going to never find a good man. That is, until that c-blockin' stone cold sober bridesmaid who has sworn off men gets involved. Gawd, what a female dog!

Wait a minute, who are we again?
    sonnyjames and sjacksonrules like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MoonJoe View Post
    Actually it was rough on us, there was always promise, but never any real hope. I guess you guys would have to live through it to understand. I still don't consider four unsuccessful wild card games winning. What that translates to me is they were better than all of the bad teams in the rest of the NFC. Big deal. Always, a bridesmaid, never a bride. And as Mac pointed out, the queen really never did anything with the team, until it was time to move and reap the financial benefits. Personally I never get into these discussions until someone says that LA/OC never supported the team and that's just not true. They supported the team, just not the owner. So she took her ball and went home.
    You're making my point for me. While you (and a LOT of LA fans on this board) deserve to have the RAMs back in LA, the whole of LA doesn't. The whole of LA deserves the RAMS (or any team) much less than St. Louis. If they couldn't support 4 losing years, how do you think they would have supported the last 8 years?

gap

But at least the DJ usually hooks up with the drunk bridesmaid that is afraid she's going to never find a good man. That is, until that c-blockin' stone cold sober bridesmaid who has sworn off men gets involved. Gawd, what a female dog!

Wait a minute, who are we again?
    Well when you put it like that lol

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by gap View Post
    You're making my point for me. While you (and a LOT of LA fans on this board) deserve to have the RAMs back in LA, the whole of LA doesn't. The whole of LA deserves the RAMS (or any team) much less than St. Louis. If they couldn't support 4 losing years, how do you think they would have supported the last 8 years?

gap
    I don't care if the Rams ever come back to LA. But I cannot take your viewpoint on this since I am pretty sure, you were not a Ram fan then. If you lived through the debacel of what transpired prior to the move, I may be more prone to give your opinion some credence. I would hazard to guess the roll call on this board in regards to living through the last 4 years in Anaheim is pretty small.

This organization was once at the forefront of the NFL. In many ways, it set the tone for the league. Rams dominated for a very long time, even without winning the SB. Folks get used to that sort of product on the field. When it starts to unravel, they get antsy. Then when ownership is not committed to win for whatever reason, the fans become very restless. This team was well supported for many years in LA. It took a complete collapse for the support to wane. Unfortunately, this collapse has carried over. But, even a blind squirrel finds a nut. Whadda ya know....We reached the promised land in 99. Thanks goodness for that. But, we quickly regressed after 2002 back to the dungeon.
    Last edited by macrammer; -01-24-2013 at 12:20 AM.

mh-i is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    I once had a fine fireplace. it withstood the wind rain and never let me down. One day, one brick came out. It was still standing tall though and i did not notice the difference. I then noticed another brick had fallen out. i was worried but hey, it still did it's job. But after a few years, there were quite a few bricks that had fallen out and then it simply collapsed. My recollection of the 1980's AFTER CR.
    I understand what you're saying. However, the Rams were 1 game away from the Super Bowl in the playoffs after beating the Eagles and Giants on the road after the 1989 season. They had a great offensive line the entire decade with multiple 1000+ yard seasons including the all-time record breaking season that thankfully is still standing. As stated they did go to the playoffs 7 of 10 times. In the late 60's and 70's they couldn't get past the Kapp, Tarkenton or Staubach when it counted. In the 80's it was Montana and Theisman. It was super frustrating BUT we still made it to the post season where we had a shot no matter how slim it seemed at the time. I liked our chances against the Bears in 1985 and I liked our chances enough in 1989 to lose $50 in the "Everett happy feet" game. After sitting through Aikman and Smith dismantling the Rams the following year I started to lose hope with that group.
    Last edited by mh-i; -01-23-2013 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gap View Post

gap
    So based on attendance figures, St. Louis deserve the Rams more than Los Angles?

Jack Youngblood

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

LA, like NY, is a rareified situation. Their sports teams are not the lifeblood of their cities. That's certainly not to say that they don't have their fair share of loyal fans, but if people perceive management isn't committed to winning or is incompetant in their decision-making they will not support their teams. You see the pathetic attendance for the Mets. The Yankees were the same way in the 80's before management changed their thinking in the 90s. You see indifference when the Lakers are bad. I suggest to you this was the reason- coupled with unsuccessful years in the 90s- Rams fans were apathetic in the years prior to Georgia packing up shop.

The Rams had some successful seasons after Carroll Rosenbloom died. But I would suggest this was more the result of the solid foundation CR had built than any brilliant business acumen Georgia Frontiere had. Anyone who cannot sustain a team in the 2nd largest media market in the country is mismanaging their franchise. And allowing things to deteriorate (as many assert she did) so that you can relocate is shameful.

In my view, one cannot say "Well, I support the team, I just don't support management". Doesn't make much sense to me. They come as a package. If you don't support management, you won't go to games, and if you don't go to games they will be blacked out. Eventually, an owner will look to leave, the result of poor gate receipts and sagging profit. The guy who owns the team could care less about the guy wearing a team jersey lying on his living room couch. That guy doesn't pay the freight.

In my opinion, three things impact attendance at the dome:

1) The uncertainty of the Rams staying. Management must address this directly and not cryptically if they wish to assuage the worries of fans thinking the Rams may leave.

2)Winning. Management has done a good job in trying to reverse the horrific trend of losing throughout the decade. They've spent money and installed a top tier coach and GM. They must continue to make good decisions.

3)Fan-friendly policies. Playing games in England doesn't help the fan in St. Louis. Having restrictive PSL policies preventing the fan from getting season tickets to all games is a turn off to many. This must be looked into and revised to maximize attendance.