Page 38 of 43 FirstFirst ... 28293031323334353637383940414243 LastLast
Like Tree154Likes

Thread: OFFICIAL (and only) "Rams to L.A." Thread

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: OFFICIAL (and only) "Rams to L.A." Thread

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Personally, I think this whole argument is silly. There's no such thing as one town being more of a "sports town" than another. Just silly.
    I think it becomes a legitimate issue when someone makes a pointed. uninformed statement like this ---

It is sad really. LA is just not that into sports.
    jjigga3000 likes this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I think it becomes a legitimate issue when someone makes a pointed. uninformed statement like this ---
    I don't think a silly statement like that legitimizes anything. It's his personal take on LA, but that's obviously not the global truth of the situation. And certainly no reason for all the misquoted facts and rampant speculation disguised as truth.

LA.....St. Louis.....Cleveland.......Hackensack.......I don't even care anymore. At this point, I'm just glad all this nonsense has been confined to one thread.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

I don't think a silly statement like that legitimizes anything.
    And yet many of us, you and me included, chose to engage in the debate and make specific points. I don't see anything wrong with that, as that's where the discussion led, and the discourse was civil.

And I agree, the best thing about all this, is it's contained to a single thread that people can ignore if they want to.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by zgare View Post
    The Rams fans in St Louis are not going to be the folks living on the streets downtown. Your charges are not scientific and not fair to us St Louis fans. I will be in LA next week and I could poll random folks downtown on their excitement about current LA sports. But just because a guy there can't spell Pujols there doesn't mean the angels should move out.
    Funny. Is downtown St Louis in a different state then the EJD? I can go anywhere in downtown SF and you would see and hear Whiner and red everywhere. I can go to downtown San Jose and see Sharks stuff everywhere. I can go to downtown Oakland and see Warrior colors everywhere. I guess i is different in downtown your town. My apology for expecting to see some vibrancy and life in support of a team that plays in DOWNTOWN.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    And yet many of us, you and me included, chose to engage in the debate.
    Suckers we are, Mike. Suckers we are.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

Personally, I think this whole argument is silly. There's no such thing as one town being more of a "sports town" than another. Just silly.
    I never said more of a sports town, I said L.A. is a sports town, and you helped my argument which is something I did leave out, that L.A. led the MLB in attendance. And the fact that there are other sports that at times compete with the Dodgers attendance is another factor. Not to mention L.A. is also an entertainment town.
    LA Rammer likes this.

LA Rammer is online now Registered User

bottom line is jigga we already fans. there is no danger of losing us, on the other hand these st louie folks could be lost if rams move to LA. so what i want to hear from st. louie supporters is "ST LOUIS OR LA, RAMS FANS WE STAY"

KEEP IT REAL
    Last edited by LA Rammer; -03-28-2014 at 03:35 PM.
    jjigga3000 likes this.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

zgare is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    Funny. Is downtown St Louis in a different state then the EJD? I can go anywhere in downtown SF and you would see and hear Whiner and red everywhere. I can go to downtown San Jose and see Sharks stuff everywhere. I can go to downtown Oakland and see Warrior colors everywhere. I guess i is different in downtown your town. My apology for expecting to see some vibrancy and life in support of a team that plays in DOWNTOWN.
    Sorry, but I only responded because you challenged the fan base in St Louis, and as a Rams season ticket holder for 19 years I could not let that stand. I don't believe it. It is not different in our town. The implication to your charge is that therefore the Rams should move. I really am going to LA next week and again the following week. I don't think I have ever seen one of the staff at the LA company I am visiting next to LAX ever wearing team shirts. In St Louis, someone in our room at work wears Cards or Blues or Rams shirts every day. I'm sure you will see 49er shirts in downtown SF. They just went to the Super Bowl last year. Trust me, everyone in St. Louis was wearing Rams clothes in 2000. And I didn't think you could ever be out of sight of someone wearing Cards clothes here since they keep getting to the World Series.

Downtown St Louis is transitioning to hotels, stadiums, conventions, and loft living in the old Garment district. Maybe you were polling conventioneers from out of town. St Louis is a working town. The only folks strolling downtown are visitors like you, or bums.
    Last edited by zgare; -03-28-2014 at 07:13 PM.
    ZGare

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is online now Registered User

Sorry, but I only responded because you challenged the fan base in St Louis, and as a Rams season ticket holder for 19 years I could not let that stand. I don't believe it. It is not different in our town. The implication to your charge is that therefore the Rams should move. I really am going to LA next week and again the following week. I don't think I have ever seen one of the staff at the LA company I am visiting next to LAX ever wearing team shirts. In St Louis, someone in our room at work wears Cards or Blues or Rams shirts every day. I'm sure you will see 49er shirts in downtown SF. They just went to the Super Bowl last year. Trust me, everyone in St. Louis was wearing Rams clothes in 2000. And I didn't think you could ever be out of sight of someone wearing Cards clothes here since they keep getting to the World Series.

Downtown St Louis is transitioning to hotels, stadiums, conventions, and loft living in the old Garment district. Maybe you were polling conventioneers from out of town. St Louis is a working town. The only folks strolling downtown are visitors like you, or bums.
    I don't know where you work, but team shirts, jerseys are not allowed at my work. So, it's not usual to see a lack of "team spirit" at work. However, you will see jerseys, caps, shirts all over the city and areas outside downtown LA. I don't think I ever go out and not see multiple persons with their team apparel on. So, what you're saying is that in 2000 when the Rams won the SB, everyone was wearing team apparel, but now that they suck, nobody cares? ...and you call that a supportive community?
    NJ Ramsfan1 likes this.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

May I help solve this conversation?

I have never been to LA, so I am ASSUMING a lot of things here, but I am basing my opinions on my experience in several large cities I have lived in, like San Antonio and the DFW Metroplex...

St. Louis is an OLD city. Two hundred years ago, St. Louis was the end point for civilization. West of there, there was nothing. The city grew and became a hub for many types of business, including garments, beer, railroads, etc. If you go to St. Louis, you will see this.

LA, OTOH, while being "old", did not begin growing into a large city until about 100 years ago. By this time, St. Louis was already an old city, and was still a city known for its sophistication and stature. LA, however, was just beginning it's growth. Los Angeles does not have the issues that midwestern cities do - old infrastructure, for instance. LA was planned out in the era of the automobile, while St. Louis was planned around the railroad and horses.

This is the major reason for the difference that LA fans see when visiting St. Louis. The people have moved away from the city center to the suburbs, while the businesses have stayed put. In LA, people have stayed put while the city spread out around them. The people of St. Louis don't live IN St. Louis - they live AROUND the city. If you want to see tourists that support the Rams, you go downtown. If you want to see residents that support the Rams, then you need to go to the suburbs.

macrammer is offline Registered User

No, I asked all walks of life. Restaurant wait staff help, hotel workers, all LOCAL folks I came in contact with. The kicker for me was at a mall, we all went to a sports memorabilia shop and in the wind ow were non-Ram NFL jerseys. You would never see any other NFL team in a sports memorabilia shop window around here.

I have lived in the SF Bay Area most of my life sans my early years in LA. Win or lose, you always see Whiner stuff. Trust me. It is nauseating to me but also I do respect their loylaty. Look at how many years Candlestick sold out good or bad.......When the Bears play the Whiners, I do not see a host of da Bear fans.....thereby making a home game an away game.

My point is simple. Start to show some civic pride for the Rams. win or lose. I did not see it in St Louis when I was there. Granted, I understand that the fan base is not downtown. But, it seemed to be for the Cards and Blues.......I saw Cardinals colors, Blues but little to no Rams. Again, I will support this team wherever they play....I do not care if they move to LA..... Apathy can lose your very treasured football team. A move to LA would increase the value of the team and if there is lack of support why would a business owner not make that move?
    Last edited by macrammer; -03-28-2014 at 09:23 PM.

I go to St. Louis once a year. I do a lot of walking all over town, from the brewery, to Union Station, to the Airport, to the Galleria in Richmond Heights, and of course downtown, as well as Laclede's Landing. I've also taken the train everywhere it goes, and driven everywhere in between, so I see a lot more than the central downtown area.

I encounter thousands of people I assume are residents. I see tons of people wearing Cardinals gear, as well as Mizzou gear, and Blues gear too, but rarely ever see anyone wearing Rams gear. In fact, on my last trip, I actually got smirks when people looked at my Rams gear.

At a shop in the Galleria (the incident mac alluded to), I saw a stack of Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick shirts, but no Rams players. When I confronted the sales guy about it, he said Wilson and Kaepernick shirts sell, Rams shirts don't sell. The other stores I went into had little or no Rams displays, while there were oceans of Cardinals sportswear.

At a restaurant downtown, the waiter kept saying "I hope YOU GUYS win". When I asked what was up with the "YOU GUYS" stuff, he said he was a Giants fan, but that he was a huge Cardinals fans.

Now maybe I have the wrong impression, but everywhere I went, the vibe was the same when it came to the Rams. I just got the idea that the city was not behind them, didn't really care if they stayed, and had more or less given up on them.

FYI - I did a check of NFL attendance last year, and the Rams were 29th in total attendance, 31st in per game average, and 29th in attendance %.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Well, I know the Rams recorded a song while in LA, but I never heard of the fans recording a song about them.

Marty Griptite, a R & B and rap artist from St. Louis wrote and recorded this song (with one of the Rams defensive players singing along) for the Rams rally at Laclede's Landing in April. https://soundcloud.com/marty-griptite/rams-snip

You have to click on the orange arrow in the upper left corner to get it to play...

supachump is offline Registered User

I lived in the San Fran bay area for 10+ years. Before that I lived in LA for around 10 years. I now live in Seahawks territory. In all three cities, I would see gear for sale for other teams. It is silly to think that it doesn't exist. I bought Rams gear in both San Fran and here in the PNW.

I was born and raised in St. Louis. Whenever I go back to see my folks, I see Rams gear for sale at stores, especially during football season. I also see people out and about wearing Rams gear. My mom, knowing the I'm a Rams fan is constantly sending me Rams gear for not only me, but for my two boys (2yrs and 6yrs old). She has to be getting it somewhere. So I'm not really sure what some of you are talking about. Maybe it is all in the circles we walk.

When I lived in St. Louis so many years ago. The downtown was dead. It is still dead now (maybe more so). People go there to work and then scatter back to the burbs. I'm surprised any retails survives at all. As has been said, you have to go to the burbs.

With all of this said. It will come down to the best deal. And it isn't a given (or shouldn't be thought of as one) that it is better financially to be in LA. I just wish a decision would be made so we can move on.

I have to say, this phenomenon that Rams fans can only be seen showing support for the team in the suburbs is an interesting one, seeing that residents can be spotted all over town supporting the Cardinals, Mizzou, and the Blues in full regalia.

We can go back and forth on this, but I know what I see, what I hear, and what I feel. It's not rocket science. I experienced the exact same thing the Rams' last few years in Anaheim. If you don't accept the perceptions of those of us that regularly visit St. Louis for games, just look at the dismal attendance figures for 2013. I guarantee you Stan Kroenke is.

And just to be clear, I have no dog in this fight. I don't live in LA anymore, and I truly love the city of St. Louis, always looking forward to my annual pilgrimage there. But in all honesty, things are not the same. The first several years I made the trip, it was exhilarating to be among "my people", watching games in my teams home stadium, and getting knowing winks, glances, and nods from other Rams fans wherever I went. The last two years, I've almost felt like an outsider when wearing my Rams jerseys around town. It's not a good feeling, and I hope things change this year.

It really doesn't matter that much to me if the Rams move to LA, or stay in St. Louis, but with attendance scraping the bottom of the barrel by NFL standards, the city refusing to make any meaningful stadium upgrades, and the standoffish tone from Kroenke, this thing can easily go either way IMO.