Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3233343536373839404142
Results 616 to 624 of 624
Like Tree150Likes

Thread: OFFICIAL (and only) "Rams to L.A." Thread

  1. #616
    r8rh8rmike's Avatar
    r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    29 Palms, Ca.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,233
    Rep Power
    127

    Re: OFFICIAL (and only) "Rams to L.A." Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam View Post
    Actually, Mike, the stadium is a non-issue. Since both cities need a new stadium, it is "equal" in my eyes.

    The ONLY issue is what Stan wants for his team.
    I don't disagree with you Sam, but my point was that LA has a great fan base that supports all their teams, and that the "LA is just not that into sports" charge is flat out false, and has no relevance is this discussion.


  2. #617
    zgare's Avatar
    zgare is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Des Peres, MO
    Posts
    64
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: OFFICIAL (and only) "Rams to L.A." Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Lakers have been out of the playoffs for a long time. They're currently 19 games behind the 8th place team in the conference with I think 11 games to go. All we keep hearing is St Louis is a great sports town, but only if the team wins. Not buying it I think it's a great baseball town.
    And in 2000 when the Rams were winning and the Cards losing, everyone said St. Louis was a great football town. Fan support is something built from good experiences over many years time. Rating average support only after a very long good stretch or down stretch says nothing.

    You might have a point if fans were shading more of their discretionary ticket purchases toward the Cards while the Rams are winning, but they didn't. Just the opposite.
    ZGare

  3. #618
    MoonJoe's Avatar
    MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Norco, CA
    Age
    48
    Posts
    1,425
    Rep Power
    42

    Re: OFFICIAL (and only) "Rams to L.A." Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I ask this in all honesty and sincerity. And I ask because I truly don't know the answer, and would like to:
    Why has no NFL team moved to Los Angeles in 20 years?
    The simple answer to that is the NFL was mad at the city since it did not fork over tax money or property to keep the Rams or Raiders, so they didn't let anyone move there.

    What the NFL didn’t understand though was the city or fans if you will, weren't mad at the NFL, they didn't like the owners of either team. Plus during that time downtown LA was at it's lowest in regard to desirability. With a lot businesses leaving LA it would have been hard to keep either team, especially since the Rams were on their second "tantrum" with the city and had already left for Anaheim and now looking for greener pastures in St. Louis.

    It’s an interesting time now though in my mind. Stan is as silent as Georgia was when she left LA and the business model for football has changed. Gone are the days of tailgating and family friendly stadiums with cheap parking. Now they want mega media entertainment centers with restaurants attached and premium parking for the corporate crowd minus the kids. I have been reading the posts on popularity and attendance and presently the Rams are only ahead of the Bengals in popularity, 29th in value and 31st in attendance. The downtown LA area is extremely vibrant these days and the move to LA would significantly raise the value of the team and the return to the market would certainly fill “corporate/Hollywood” seats for 5 to 10 years….interesting times indeed.
    Last edited by MoonJoe; -04-06-2014 at 09:12 PM.
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

    Jack Youngblood

  4. #619
    zgare's Avatar
    zgare is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Des Peres, MO
    Posts
    64
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonJoe View Post
    The simple answer to that is the NFL was mad at the city since it did not fork over tax money or property to keep the Rams or Raiders, so they didn't let anyone move there. What the NFL didn’t understand though was the city or fans if you will, weren't mad at the NFL, they didn't like the owners of either team. Plus during that time downtown LA was at it's lowest in regard to desirability. With a lot businesses leaving LA it would have been hard to keep either team, especially since the Rams were on their second "tantrum" with the city and had already left for Anaheim and now looking for greener pastures in St. Louis. It’s an interesting time now though in my mind. Stan is as silent as Georgia was when she left LA and the business model for football has changed. Gone are the days of tailgating and family friendly stadiums with cheap parking. Now they want mega media entertainment centers with restaurants attached and premium parking for the corporate crowd minus the kids. I have been reading the posts on popularity and attendance and presently the Rams are only ahead of the Bengals in popularity, 29th in value and 31st in attendance. The downtown LA area is extremely vibrant these days and the move to LA would significantly raise the value of the team and the return to the market would certainly fill “corporate/Hollywood” seats for 5 to 10 years….interesting times indeed.
    Slight correction. Rams are ahead of 9 other teams in popularity including the Bengals.

    http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/t...an-pro-sports/

    And rather than telling me Rams attendance rank after 10 straight losing seasons, tell me want it was when we had an equal number of winning and losing seasons, just to be fair. Say 1995 thru 2004. That would be more indicative of what one would expect assuming just average performance. We have no comparable 10 year drought numbers for LA since no team in LA has ever had a 10 year non-winning season / playoff drought.
    ZGare

  5. #620
    MoonJoe's Avatar
    MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Norco, CA
    Age
    48
    Posts
    1,425
    Rep Power
    42

    Re: OFFICIAL (and only) "Rams to L.A." Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by zgare View Post
    Slight correction. Rams are ahead of 9 other teams in popularity including the Bengals.

    The ‘Big Five’ in North American Pro Sports | FiveThirtyEight

    And rather than telling me Rams attendance rank after 10 straight losing seasons, tell me want it was when we had an equal number of winning and losing seasons, just to be fair. Say 1995 thru 2004. That would be more indicative of what one would expect assuming just average performance. We have no comparable 10 year drought numbers for LA since no team in LA has ever had a 10 year non-winning season / playoff drought.
    For popularity it depends on uur source, I used this one for popularity: Harris Poll: Cowboys, Packers, Broncos Top List Of Favorite NFL Teams Among U.S. Fans - SportsBusiness Daily | SportsBusiness Journal | SportsBusiness Daily Global

    And as far as attendence, I was only using 2013 numbers because in the business worrld it is "what have you done for me lately, not how much have you loved me in the past"...
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

    Jack Youngblood

  6. #621
    zgare's Avatar
    zgare is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Des Peres, MO
    Posts
    64
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonJoe View Post
    For popularity it depends on uur source, I used this one for popularity: Harris Poll: Cowboys, Packers, Broncos Top List Of Favorite NFL Teams Among U.S. Fans - SportsBusiness Daily | SportsBusiness Journal | SportsBusiness Daily Global And as far as attendence, I was only using 2013 numbers because in the business worrld it is "what have you done for me lately, not how much have you loved me in the past"...
    That is exactly what fans would say to the team owner whether the 10 year drought happened in St Louis or LA. You should ask how would you support me in the future with, say, with an average performing team. You can't compute that with 2013 numbers alone -- in the midst of a historic losing decade. Check an average decade, which hopefully will be 2009 through 2018 when we will have 5 winning seasons to offset the last 5 losing seasons.

    I am in LA right now. I'm still trying to find someone wearing a Dodger hat or any LA team sports clothes in the neighborhoods around LAX.
    ZGare

  7. #622
    MoonJoe's Avatar
    MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Norco, CA
    Age
    48
    Posts
    1,425
    Rep Power
    42

    Re: OFFICIAL (and only) "Rams to L.A." Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by zgare View Post
    I am in LA right now. I'm still trying to find someone wearing a Dodger hat or any LA team sports clothes in the neighborhoods around LAX.
    Which part of LA? If you want Dodger hats go to East LA, Echo Park, The Valley, South Central (Don't wear blue in the red neighborhood or red in the blue neighborhood though). If you want Angel hats go to Anaheim, Orange, Irvine, Garden Grove, the IE or Tustin. Want Lakers, go to Inglewood, back to South LA or Compton. Clippers, that's the band wagon section, hard to pin down. Ducks? Back to Anaheim, Orange, Irvine Tustin. Kings? The Valley, any of the beach towns and the West side. Chivas or Galaxy, Carson, Wilmington (also good for Dodgers) and East LA again...there out there, but not everyone in LA wears hats, it messes up our hair!
    macrammer likes this.
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

    Jack Youngblood

  8. #623
    RealRam's Avatar
    RealRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    8,213
    Rep Power
    68

    Re: OFFICIAL (and only) "Rams to L.A." Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by MoonJoe View Post
    Which part of LA? If you want Dodger hats go to East LA, Echo Park, The Valley, South Central (Don't wear blue in the red neighborhood or red in the blue neighborhood though). If you want Angel hats go to Anaheim, Orange, Irvine, Garden Grove, the IE or Tustin. Want Lakers, go to Inglewood, back to South LA or Compton. Clippers, that's the band wagon section, hard to pin down. Ducks? Back to Anaheim, Orange, Irvine Tustin. Kings? The Valley, any of the beach towns and the West side. Chivas or Galaxy, Carson, Wilmington (also good for Dodgers) and East LA again...there out there, but not everyone in LA wears hats, it messes up our hair!

    LOL! This tattooed fellow below probably has all the other teams you mentioned on the other arm.


  9. #624
    zgare's Avatar
    zgare is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Des Peres, MO
    Posts
    64
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    LOL! This tattooed fellow below probably has all the other teams you mentioned on the other arm.
    I'm at LAX now wearing my polo shirt with the Rams Logo. When I checked in my car, the Avis guy saw my shirt and asked if I was going to St. Louis. Then he said he was rooting for the Rams to come to LA. I said I am a season ticket holder in St Louis. And he replied that I should move to LA. He lifted his arms to the sky and said this is our winter. It was good natured and funny.
    MoonJoe likes this.
    ZGare

Similar Threads

  1. *Official Rams @ Saints Prediction Thread
    By LA Rammer in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: -12-12-2010, 05:47 PM
  2. Replies: 218
    Last Post: -10-11-2009, 04:50 PM
  3. Replies: 305
    Last Post: -10-04-2009, 08:26 PM
  4. The Official Gibril Wilson For Next Rams SS Thread
    By THOLTFAN81 in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: -02-26-2009, 12:33 PM
  5. *Official Rams vs. Jags Gametime Thread
    By LA Rammer in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: -10-30-2005, 05:19 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •