Page 6 of 43 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 631
Like Tree150Likes

Thread: OFFICIAL (and only) "Rams to L.A." Thread

  1. #76
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,565
    Rep Power
    145

    Re: OFFICIAL (and only) "Rams to L.A." Thread

    No, he's right on. The fans stopped coming all because of the ownership. Just like the LA Dodgers fans are doing now. ...and that's my point. We will support a team, just not a bad owner.
    I agree. LA made it's choice. And choices have consequences.

    I guess we just set the bar a little higher out here....
    Having spent time in both St. Louis and LA, I know that is certainly not the case. But I'm sure some might want to call it that. Others would call it fair-weather fandom.....show up only if they like the owner; surely you could see where that would cause some to question LA's ability to support a team.

    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  2. #77
    sjacksonrules's Avatar
    sjacksonrules is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    southern il
    Posts
    1,450
    Rep Power
    29

    Re: OFFICIAL (and only) "Rams to L.A." Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    No, he's right on. The fans stopped coming all because of the ownership. Just like the LA Dodgers fans are doing now. ...and that's my point. We will support a team, just not a bad owner.

    I guess we just set the bar a little higher out here....
    Sorry im not sure johnny cochran could win this case for you.

    You basically just said u stopped supporting the team because of ownership. Well what happens when this ownership does something bad are you going to disown the Rams again? Sounds pretty fair weather to me. I don't know how you could justify not seeing your team play due to ownership. I don't care what ownership does here I will always goto see my Rams play. They are my team I can't fault them for who owns them. Imagine how Bengals fans feel. Yet they still make it to games.

  3. #78
    MoonJoe's Avatar
    MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Norco, CA
    Age
    48
    Posts
    1,432
    Rep Power
    42

    Re: OFFICIAL (and only) "Rams to L.A." Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by sjacksonrules View Post
    Sorry im not sure johnny cochran could win this case for you.

    You basically just said u stopped supporting the team because of ownership. Well what happens when this ownership does something bad are you going to disown the Rams again? Sounds pretty fair weather to me. I don't know how you could justify not seeing your team play due to ownership. I don't care what ownership does here I will always goto see my Rams play. They are my team I can't fault them for who owns them. Imagine how Bengals fans feel. Yet they still make it to games.

    I'm sure if Johnny Cochran lived in Cincinnati he would try to escape reality and go to every Bengals gamed as well. You really can't compare LA to Cincinnati or St. Louis. It's apples and oranges. We are seeing the exact same thing with the Dodgers that we did with the Rams. Run the team into the ground and the fans walk. Call it what you want, but we demand a "professional" team. The only difference now is Selig is smarter than Taglibue was. If you remember when old Paul retired, he said one of the biggest mistakes he made was letting the Rams leave LA. I can't think of a more educated opinion on the matter than someone who had a hand in the decision.
    Major30 likes this.
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

    Jack Youngblood

  4. #79
    Rambunctious's Avatar
    Rambunctious is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    1,198
    Rep Power
    53

    Re: OFFICIAL (and only) "Rams to L.A." Thread

    The fans are just not fanatical enough in LA. I don't live there but the Dodgers are my team. Win or lose or how can you not go (or watch) the games? Kershaw and Billingsly on the mound, Either's hitting streak, Kemp having a monster year with 21 HR, 21 SB and 60 RBI, LA weather, great stadium, Dodger Dogs and let's not forget those fine, fine, fine LA ladies in the stands.

    Even when management runs a team into the ground it should never run the fans out of the stands.

  5. #80
    MoonJoe's Avatar
    MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Norco, CA
    Age
    48
    Posts
    1,432
    Rep Power
    42

    Re: OFFICIAL (and only) "Rams to L.A." Thread

    You would think so Rambunctious, but getting to Dodger Stadium is insane in LA traffic and the fan base there I hate to say is more Raider fan style than good old fashioned baseball fans (see Brian Stow incident). You are right, people shouldn't bail out just because of the owner, but many do. I however have remained true to the Rams even after they moved and will continue to do so. I don't have any issues with the City of St Louis and should probably get back for another game, although I have been on the journey off seeing the Rams play in a different city each year. This year Pittsburgh on Christmas eve! But that's why I say apples and Oranges comparing the two cities, they are really different.
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

    Jack Youngblood

  6. #81
    sjacksonrules's Avatar
    sjacksonrules is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    southern il
    Posts
    1,450
    Rep Power
    29

    Re: OFFICIAL (and only) "Rams to L.A." Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by MoonJoe View Post
    I'm sure if Johnny Cochran lived in Cincinnati he would try to escape reality and go to every Bengals gamed as well. You really can't compare LA to Cincinnati or St. Louis. It's apples and oranges. We are seeing the exact same thing with the Dodgers that we did with the Rams. Run the team into the ground and the fans walk. Call it what you want, but we demand a "professional" team. The only difference now is Selig is smarter than Taglibue was. If you remember when old Paul retired, he said one of the biggest mistakes he made was letting the Rams leave LA. I can't think of a more educated opinion on the matter than someone who had a hand in the decision.

    So your saying as soon as she took over the team she ran it into the ground? Georgia had control of the 1980-94 l.a. rams.

    They had playoff appearances in 1980, 83, 84, 85, 86, 88, and 89 (if you add that up that is that same number of playoff appearances that Carroll's teams had before he past).

    What it looks like to me is that the team just didn't play well through 90-94 and l.a. fans abandoned them. They were the same teams pretty much that went to the playoffs they just didn't get it done on the field.

    I wasn't there so I can only go by what I read. From what I have read Georgia tried to get a new stadium built in l.a. but the l.a. officials wouldn't allow it because the attendance was low. I can see no indication that she "ran the team into the ground". If the attendance was there she wouldn't of had a reason to move.

    Whats funny is that the team has been worse recently than it ever was back then. The worst l.a. fans ever saw was 2 and 7 but heck that wasn't a full season and the other was 3 and 13. We have been down some dark roads here in St louis. We have been won 4, 3, 2, and 1 game in a entire 16 game schedule here. So I really don't want to hear this we require a "professional team" business.

    Any more excuses?

    Edit: for 8 years straight the dome was at 100% of capacity. We fell of by about 100,000 seats from 08-10 but those years were still over 60,000 seats over the last to years in Anaheim.
    Last edited by sjacksonrules; -06-27-2011 at 05:53 PM.

  7. #82
    MoonJoe's Avatar
    MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Norco, CA
    Age
    48
    Posts
    1,432
    Rep Power
    42

    Re: OFFICIAL (and only) "Rams to L.A." Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by sjacksonrules View Post
    So your saying as soon as she took over the team she ran it into the ground? Georgia had control of the 1980-94 l.a. rams.

    They had playoff appearances in 1980, 83, 84, 85, 86, 88, and 89 (if you add that up that is that same number of playoff appearances that Carroll's teams had before he past).

    What it looks like to me is that the team just didn't play well through 90-94 and l.a. fans abandoned them. They were the same teams pretty much that went to the playoffs they just didn't get it done on the field.

    I wasn't there so I can only go by what I read. From what I have read Georgia tried to get a new stadium built in l.a. but the l.a. officials wouldn't allow it because the attendance was low. I can see no indication that she "ran the team into the ground". If the attendance was there she wouldn't of had a reason to move.

    Whats funny is that the team has been worse recently than it ever was back then. The worst l.a. fans ever saw was 2 and 7 but heck that wasn't a full season and the other was 3 and 13. We have been down some dark roads here in St louis. We have been won 4, 3, 2, and 1 game in a entire 16 game schedule here. So I really don't want to hear this we require a "professional team" business.

    Any more excuses?

    Edit: for 8 years straight the dome was at 100% of capacity. We fell of by about 100,000 seats from 08-10 but those years were still over 60,000 seats over the last to years in Anaheim.
    Oh how I hate numbers when it comes to this topic.

    Yes Georgia took over the team from 1980 to her death and she also took control of the remaining 30% of the team from Carrol's son and fired him, nice huh?. And I do hold her accountable for it's downfall just the same as some of the other owners who objected to her trying to take the team to Baltimore did (Yes, Baltimore. It was her first choice. St. Louis wasn't even in the running when she first tried to bolt from Anaheim). The other owners accused her of mismanaging the team to it's pitiful performance, so that's not my excuse, just how I and others saw it.

    What I find even more ironic is that Art Modell then owner from Cleveland voted against her trying to move. He later took his team, who had perennial sellouts, to Baltimore for more attractive luxury box and PSL money.

    Anyway, she eventually threatened to sue the NFL if they didn't let her move and since already having gone through that with the Raiders, they let her move. And that decision still haunted Taglibue self-admittedly to his retirement. By that time, St. Louis having being rejected over the Carolina and Florida Franchise awards, was ready for a team.

    The playoff successes here in LA, albeit 2 NFC championships at best which they lost in 85 and 89 to the Bears and Niners respectively, were the result in my opinion of the excellent coaching of John Robinson. Add in the luck of getting Everett, Anderson and Ellard that didn't hurt either. Although Everett eventually would also be blamed for the teams downfall after the "phantom sack" in the playoff game of 89, which I was in attendance. I have a hilarious cowbell story from that night, but that's for another post.

    Yes the team did not play well from 90 to 94 and I personally attribute that to the departure of JR. Chuck Knox was an honest attempt at a coach, but Brooks a complete failure. My guess by this time Shaw and the other idiot had their hands in most of the decisions then so was she directly responsible? Maybe not, but she certainly didn't try to make it a great team. I have said this many times, this team to her was really just a revenue stream.

    As far as a requiring a "professional" team to support I stand by that statement. Yes we are spoiled with the Lakers 16 Championships and the Dodgers 5 (with 18 World Series appearances). We are shallow and fair weathered as fans as a whole, but the premise has always been the same. Put a quality team in play, and we will be there. I wont make an excuse for that, I don't need to.

    Yes the city of LA wouldn't put there own money into a stadium, stupidly enough unless it was the Coliseum and that's not real money like the league demands these days. That was just putting lipstick on a pig. One Mark Ridley Thomas drove that idiotic battle and is part responsible for us not keeping them here. LA was also a disaster at that time in that area with the popularity of crack cocaine and premature death, so you see the hard sell to football fans there. Anaheim had already restructured their stadium in order to get them from LA and at the time it was much better than the "Mauselum", so no go there either.

    As far as your attendance figure I am sure you are correct. We had large attendance numbers too when they were in the coliseum, in fact they once set the record somewhere near the 105,000 mark. But I never brought attendance numbers into this conversation. I simply said I hold Mrs. Frontiere responsible for the downfall of the Rams after the death of Carrol Rosenbloom and the eventual departure of the team.

    I honestly hope the team doesn't leave St Louis unless of course it is for LA, and then I would selfishly support that wholeheartedly.

    Cheers!
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

    Jack Youngblood

  8. #83
    sjacksonrules's Avatar
    sjacksonrules is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    southern il
    Posts
    1,450
    Rep Power
    29

    Re: OFFICIAL (and only) "Rams to L.A." Thread

    I really don't care if the Rams move to l.a. its just going to make it a hassle for me to move out to l.a. lol. It would just give me a excuse to move to California but I don't know if I could leave my Cardinals behind.

    I can't wait for it all to end and they finally announce a team. Ive recently heard the bills even thrown in the mix...

  9. #84
    netminder's Avatar
    netminder is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    los angeles
    Posts
    57
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: OFFICIAL (and only) "Rams to L.A." Thread

    AEG's presentation on Farmer's Field project at Mar Vista Recreation Center. tomorrow.

  10. #85
    RAMFANRAIDERHATER's Avatar
    RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Surf City USA
    Age
    61
    Posts
    2,306
    Rep Power
    57

    Re: OFFICIAL (and only) "Rams to L.A." Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by netminder View Post
    AEG's presentation on Farmer's Field project at Mar Vista Recreation Center. tomorrow.
    Apparently, it went well and everything is on track. However, I don't like the AEG plan. I much prefer the stadium plan in the City of Industry. The AEG plan is set in downtown, which I don't like. I avoid going to downtown LA every chance I get. It's in a very small area, and will be one of the smallest in the NFL from what I read. Too close to the convention center and traffice will be horrible. Tailgating will be difficult at best.

    I hope the City of Industry proposal wins out in this one and brings two teams in. One NFC and one AFC team. (Chargers and Rams are my preferences)

    I was listening to the radio (ESPN) on my drive home from work last week and the talk hosts both believed the Rams to be the most logical choice for a new (old) team. The vast majority of listeners also overwhelmingly voiced their support of a Rams return. What was funny was that more than one listener (including one of the radio hosts) stated that just about any team would be great except "please don't bring down the Raiders." My feelings exactly.

    Anyway, it was said that they believed that the deal will get done early next year (after the 2011 season is over) and a team would be playing in LA in 2012 at the LA Coliseum. (until the new stadium gets built) They were both pretty convinced it was a done deal. We shall see, I guess.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

  11. #86
    gap's Avatar
    gap
    gap is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,253
    Rep Power
    25

    Re: OFFICIAL (and only) "Rams to L.A." Thread

    Enjoy the LA Jaguars or Vikings. Those are the most likely to move. Lack of sufficient local support in Jax, and the lack of a suitable playing field in Minnesota. If both move, it provides the AFC and NFC wish.

    The RAMS moving from St. Louis would only prove my belief that the NFL hates St. Louis, and would do anything to keep the NFL out of St. Louis. St. Louis has MUCH (!!!!!) better support for a team than Jax, and a better stadium deal than Minnesota, even in the current stadium. IIRC St. Louis also has a better sellout percentage than LA ever had. Given equal time in the given city, I believe a small market St. Louis would blow away attendance in the larger market LA.


    gap

  12. #87
    TheTalkOfTheArch's Avatar
    TheTalkOfTheArch is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    St. Louis
    Age
    30
    Posts
    124
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: OFFICIAL (and only) "Rams to L.A." Thread

    I'd like to see the Bills and Chargers move to LA. Then we could swap divisions with the Bills and play in the AFC East. (it wouldn't be any stranger than the Cowboys playing in the NFC East).

    I'd love to be in the same division as the Jets Pats and Dolphins three big markets and a chance to punish New England every year.

    My preference is the AFC east but i'll play in the NFC South, AFC South, NFC North, or AFC West.

  13. #88
    RAMFANRAIDERHATER's Avatar
    RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Surf City USA
    Age
    61
    Posts
    2,306
    Rep Power
    57

    Re: OFFICIAL (and only) "Rams to L.A." Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by gap View Post
    Enjoy the LA Jaguars or Vikings. Those are the most likely to move. Lack of sufficient local support in Jax, and the lack of a suitable playing field in Minnesota. If both move, it provides the AFC and NFC wish.

    The RAMS moving from St. Louis would only prove my belief that the NFL hates St. Louis, and would do anything to keep the NFL out of St. Louis. St. Louis has MUCH (!!!!!) better support for a team than Jax, and a better stadium deal than Minnesota, even in the current stadium. IIRC St. Louis also has a better sellout percentage than LA ever had. Given equal time in the given city, I believe a small market St. Louis would blow away attendance in the larger market LA.


    gap
    You may be right about the Jags, the people of Jacksonville don't even know there's a team there, I think... ..or don't care. There's no doubt that St. Louis would better support an NFL team than Jacksonville. But LA? Not a chance.

    You're comparing apples to oranges when you compare LA to Stl in terms of sellout percentages. Remember, the Rams played the bulk of their NFL seasons (In LA) in the 92,000+ seating arena called the LA Coliseum. ...and they pulled in over 92,000+ there often. Heck, they drew 95,000 for their first pre-season game in LA. Yep, pre-season. Anaheim stadium held up to 70,000 in football configuration and rarely had problems selling out until the later years when Georgia took control.

    Just look at the baseball scene in LA if you don't believe the fans out here won't support "their team(s)." Both the Dodgers and Angels (within 30 minutes of each other) drew over 40,000 per game last year. Despite drawing from the same fan base in the LA/OC area, they averaged together >84,000 per home game last year. I would call that pretty fair support. In Anaheim, that's almost 90% capacity each and every game!! Also keep in mind that at the same time for much of the season, we're attending Lakers, Clippers, Kings and Ducks games very well, thank you.

    As to your comment about the NFL not wanting the NFL in Stl, that might have been apparent when Georgia first proposed moving to St. Louis. It was shot down quickly and decisively by the NFL owners. It wasn't until she wisely decided to "sweeten the pot" and share in the money did they vote to allow the move. But I'm not convinced there's a conspiracy thing going on. It's all about the money. Always has been, always will be.
    Last edited by RAMFANRAIDERHATER; -07-16-2011 at 06:09 PM.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

  14. #89
    sjacksonrules's Avatar
    sjacksonrules is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    southern il
    Posts
    1,450
    Rep Power
    29

    Re: OFFICIAL (and only) "Rams to L.A." Thread

    If we could get more Cardinal baseball fans to turn to Rams football fans it wouldn't be a question as to if the team would sell out every game. I have seen the Cardinals baseball fans fill in opposing teams stadiums better than their own team. Last series vs the baltimore orioles I am almost positive there were more Cards fans there than orioles.

    What the Rams need is stability. St louis is more than capable of hosting a nfl team. We are ranked among the highest in baseball attendance and to me its a less popular sport than football. If the people of St Louis know we will have a team the support will be there. I think its always been in the back of peoples minds in St Louis that the Rams could be taken away from them like the cardinals football team was. So I can see them being hesitant. If we can tap into the Cards fan base we will have a overflow of fan support.

    We have been somewhat of a nomad team. Its time to pick a location and stick with it we are never going to get a full fan base set up if we are bouncing around everywhere.

    What we really need is a St Louis stadium. What I mean by that is a stadium that when you look at it you know your in St Louis. Look at the Cardinals stadium the Arch is in view of the field and you can see a Arch in the outfield grass. If the Rams embrace St Louis the fans will be there with undoubted support.

    For all you that don't know the Cardinals won the world series in the first year at their new stadium, coincidence I think not lol.

  15. #90
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,565
    Rep Power
    145

    Re: OFFICIAL (and only) "Rams to L.A." Thread

    If we could get more Cardinal baseball fans to turn to Rams football fans it wouldn't be a question as to if the team would sell out every game.
    That's a pretty tall order though. I mean we're talking about the St. Louis Cardinals, the best MLB franchise money CAN'T buy. They've been home almost ten times as long as the Rams have. Having said that, you're absolutely right; the Rams need to do more to tap into the Cardinal culture. Winning solves everything (the Ed was the place during the GSOT), but the Rams need to take more steps to engrain their mark on the St. Louis vista. If they do tap into the Cardinal culture, they will re-discover and finally earn the St. Louis fanbase.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Similar Threads

  1. *Official Rams @ Saints Prediction Thread
    By LA Rammer in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: -12-12-2010, 05:47 PM
  2. Replies: 218
    Last Post: -10-11-2009, 04:50 PM
  3. Replies: 305
    Last Post: -10-04-2009, 08:26 PM
  4. The Official Gibril Wilson For Next Rams SS Thread
    By THOLTFAN81 in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: -02-26-2009, 12:33 PM
  5. *Official Rams vs. Jags Gametime Thread
    By LA Rammer in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: -10-30-2005, 05:19 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •