Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Official: Rams hire Brian Schottenheimer

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Re: Official: Rams hire Brian Schottenheimer

The deal is done an I support our coaching staff. I hope Schotty can develop our offense.

Dwight Frye is offline Registered User

Not my first choice certainly, but who am I to second guess Jeff Fisher? The Jets do have a myriad of problems ... dissension in the lockerroom, an aging runnuing back and a not too good one, a diva reciever, a 'not the brightest light in the barn' qb .... I wanna wait and see what he does here. Much better tools, for sure. I have no doubt that Jack is WAAAY better than Green. Sam is gonna be ten times better than Sanchez .... Lloyd is a better receiver than anything they have ....
    ManofGod likes this.
    If a team won their division seven straight times, that would be a NFL record. Now add on that team did it with seven different QB's in seven straight years,that record is unbeatable. To do that feat, you must of had a great Defense. Jack Youngblood was the captain of that defense.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Jason LaCanfora reports:

Rams to begin contract talks with Brian Schottenheimer to be their O Coordinator later today. Deal should come together soon #insideslant

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

I really hope this works out. There's just nothing about B. Schott that jumps out at me and says, "he will make our offense good." I beleive hiring Jackman and bringing in his west coast offense would have been better for Bradford.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

I support Schotty, hopefully Fisher will maximize his potential as an OC. Seeing that he comes from an Air Coryell background, we might have to get Kalil seeing that it requires a 7-step drop. But then again, he runs a slant happy offense as well and Blackmon happens to be talented at that. I still prefer staying away from Kalil regardless, a good O-line coach will help maximize Saffold's potential.

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Does this mean we keep Clemens?

Aussie Dave is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    I'm just scared that if he has success that he's going to get a head coaching opportunity not too far down the line. He got an interview with Jacksonville (and I know they're not exactly the standard, but still) this year even after his offense was viewed as inept or a failure. I just want some stability at the position because this, more than likely, will be the defining hire under Jeff Fisher.
    so you'd rather hire a lower profile guy that wont be a head coach candidate in a year or two, like Pat Shurmur was? oh wait..

besides... lets go with the mentality that we will be so good, everyone will be lining up to hire our coaches!

ManofGod is offline Registered User

I for one always wanted Schottenheimer as our OC. He has a solid track record. All to often we are taken back by what has just happen, and although the 2011 season was seen by many as a disaster for the Jets, the previous season we saw them in the AFC Championship and the offense looked very promising. When we look at this year, one could argue that it was the defense & not the offense that was the biggest issue with the team.

Regardless of what many believe, talent makes a huge difference in any league. This man helped mold both D. Brees & P. Rivers, both of these men were higher rated QB's than Sanchez who many knew was a "project"(coming out of college Brees only issue was his stature which we know shouldn't be a legit knock on a QB), the only reason Sanchez went so high in the draft was in part due to the school he went to in addition the fact that the QB draft class he came out in was a weak one. Many questioned the Jets when they drafted Sanchez, and the Jets were reported to have had to "scale back' the offense a bit b/c of the inadequacy of Sanchez. I'm sure you all will agree as many professionals have that Bradford has the tools to be a star; with that in mind Schottenheimer has a great reputation when it comes to working with QB's of Bradford's caliber. So let's sit back & watch them work. Not to mention "50" will have the benefit of a QB coach and a full off-season to grasp the new system.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Not thrilled with this move at all, but I'll support it. Schottenheimer is now the guy so I'll hope the change of scenery and personnel makes a difference.
    Same boat I'm in. I'm not particularly happy with Schottenheimer, but I'm supportive of Fisher and I have to think he knows what he wants in a coordinator. Hopefully Schott was just a victim of a poor environment and personnel in New York, but the Rams' roster isn't filled with great talent. He's got his work cut out for him, hopefully he comes through.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I don't feel too excited about this hire, BUT-

as cfh128 pointed out,
    we all know what they say about trying to polish a turd

I figure if he could move the Sanchez-powered Jets to mediocrity, what will he be able to do with the Bradford-powered Rams? My guess is he will be able to do a whole lot more - and I don't think Fisher is the type to let Schottenheimer sit on his butt and make excuses for losing.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    Waaaay too soon for all the negativity.
    On the contrary. Waaaaay too soon to be EXCITED about this. I dont like the hiring but it cant get much worse than last year...can it?
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

SavageRam is offline Registered User

He can't be all that bad if he was OC of a team for six seasons. A team that went to the playoffs in three of those six seasons while coming out of the toughest division in the NFL.

What have the Raiders done in the last two seasons w/Hue Jackson as OC? Oh yeah, butkus.
    THOLTFAN81 and Aussie Dave like this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    I for one always wanted Schottenheimer as our OC. He has a solid track record. All to often we are taken back by what has just happen, and although the 2011 season was seen by many as a disaster for the Jets, the previous season we saw them in the AFC Championship and the offense looked very promising. When we look at this year, one could argue that it was the defense & not the offense that was the biggest issue with the team.

Regardless of what many believe, talent makes a huge difference in any league. This man helped mold both D. Brees & P. Rivers, both of these men were higher rated QB's than Sanchez who many knew was a "project"(coming out of college Brees only issue was his stature which we know shouldn't be a legit knock on a QB), the only reason Sanchez went so high in the draft was in part due to the school he went to in addition the fact that the QB draft class he came out in was a weak one. Many questioned the Jets when they drafted Sanchez, and the Jets were reported to have had to "scale back' the offense a bit b/c of the inadequacy of Sanchez. I'm sure you all will agree as many professionals have that Bradford has the tools to be a star; with that in mind Schottenheimer has a great reputation when it comes to working with QB's of Bradford's caliber. So let's sit back & watch them work. Not to mention "50" will have the benefit of a QB coach and a full off-season to grasp the new system.
    A good assessment of the Schottenheimer hire. I, too, have the same reservations many on this board have expressed. Part of that is because I live in Giants/Jets territory, where the media and fans have crucified Schottenheimer weekly. I don't know what to believe. As you said, ManofGod, talent (or lack thereof) many times makes a coach look smarter than he is or makes a good coach look bad.

I'll have to trust Fisher on this one. Time will tell.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I was not leaning one way or another after Hue was considered.. But I still think it's a good hire.

I think it comes down to expectations and mine are pretty low for this offense... that stunk so bad last year. These points are not great that's for sure but how bad where we?

2006-2011 Jets Offense: Brian Schottenheimer Years
    Stat 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
    PPG 19.8 16.8 25.3 21.8 22.9 23.6

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Even if I or others are not thrilled, its an upgrade. So at the end of the day, we cant possibly be worse than we were this past year.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast