Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Official: Rams hire Brian Schottenheimer

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Re: Official: Rams hire Brian Schottenheimer

Quote Originally Posted by SavageRam View Post
    He can't be all that bad if he was OC of a team for six seasons. A team that went to the playoffs in three of those six seasons while coming out of the toughest division in the NFL.
    The toughest division in the NFL? What?????

Why do people believe that? That simply is not an accurate statement.

That division has ONE (count'em, ONE) legitimate Superbowl contender, and that's the NE Patriots. That's it!!!

One team does not make you the toughest division in football. The Jets are by far, the most overrated team in the NFL.

The AFC East was not even as tough as the NFC West this year. For all the negative attention it receives, the NFC West's top three teams won 28 games to 27 for the AFC East.

So please spare me with that nonsense.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    The toughest division in the NFL? What?????

Why do people believe that? That simply is not an accurate statement.

That division has ONE (count'em, ONE) legitimate Superbowl contender, and that's the NE Patriots. That's it!!!

One team does not make you the toughest division in football. The Jets are by far, the most overrated team in the NFL.

The AFC East was not even as tough as the NFC West this year. For all the negative attention it receives, the NFC West's top three teams won 28 games to 27 for the AFC East.

So please spare me with that nonsense.
    Exactly. Perfectly put friend, perfectly put.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by SavageRam View Post
    What have the Raiders done in the last two seasons w/Hue Jackson as OC? Oh yeah, butkus.
    Well, it's moot now, but since you asked.....

The Raiders had losing seasons from 2003-2009; all 7 of those seasons. Jackson shows up in 2010, and they haven't had a losing season since. From 2003-2009 the Raiders offense ranked between 17th and dead last. In Jackson's 2 seasons, they ranked 9th and 10th.

Like I said, not that it matters now, but Jackson took a team with 7 straight losing seasons and brought them to .500; and an offense that was bottom of the barrel w/o him to a top 10 offense w/ him.

Far from "butkus".
    r8rh8rmike likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post

The Raiders had losing seasons from 2003-2009; all 7 of those seasons. Jackson shows up in 2010, and they haven't had a losing season since. From 2003-2009 the Raiders offense ranked between 17th and dead last. In Jackson's 2 seasons, they ranked 9th and 10th.

Like I said, not that it matters now, but Jackson took a team with 7 straight losing seasons and brought them to .500; and an offense that was bottom of the barrel w/o him to a top 10 offense w/ him.

Far from "butkus".
    Excellent points HUb. You put it perfect perspective. IMO, Jackson is going to make a difference wherever he ends up. I really hope Schottenheimer can do the same.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post

Far from "butkus".
    McFadden was drafted by the Oakland Raiders with the fourth overall pick in the 2008 took him a couple of years but I think he has something to do with it... no saying Hue is a bad OC not at all but he did have some talent to work with.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

He went to the AFC Championship game with a QB with far less talent than Sam. I'm going to be optimistic.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    McFadden was drafted by the Oakland Raiders with the fourth overall pick in the 2008 took him a couple of years but I think he has something to do with it... no saying Hue is a bad OC not at all but he did have some talent to work with.
    First of all, the players dont make the OC. The OC makes the players. You dont go around saying "Yeah Steven Jackson really made Josh McDaniels look good". There is only 2 cases of that, and they apply to Peyton Manning and Tom Brady.

And second of all, McFadden was terrible up until Hue Jackson got there. His first 2 years in the NFL he had 800 yards, and then these past 2 years hes had 1,700. Plus he only played in 7 games this year so how can you tell me he made Jackson when the offense still produced and he wasn't even playing.

SavageRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    He went to the AFC Championship game with a QB with far less talent than Sam. I'm going to be optimistic.
    Really, that's the best way to go, being optimistic. As a fan, anything else advances nothing other than an earlier grave.

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    First of all, the players dont make the OC. The OC makes the players. You dont go around saying "Yeah Steven Jackson really made Josh McDaniels look good". There is only 2 cases of that, and they apply to Peyton Manning and Tom Brady.

And second of all, McFadden was terrible up until Hue Jackson got there. His first 2 years in the NFL he had 800 yards, and then these past 2 years hes had 1,700. Plus he only played in 7 games this year so how can you tell me he made Jackson when the offense still produced and he wasn't even playing.
    It's a well know fact the the haters did not play McFadden enough early on...

Jerry McDonald responded to Cable's statement, saying "If the flow of the game means keeping McFadden, an excellent receiving back, off the field on third down plays which call for a pass, then the flow needs to be changed by the play-caller
    2009 Oakland Raiders campaign, McFadden was bothered by numerous injuries and saw a career low in carries and yardage.
    McFadden play did not explode because of Hue scheme. It was that fact that he played him.

First of all, the players dont make the OC. The OC makes the players.
    I totally disagree with this statement... Marshal and Bruce did way before Martz was here and Holt and Warner continued to be play-makers after they parted ways with Martz. You need play-makers period.

ED did it running in John Robinson running scheme but it was all ED.

It's a well know fact the the haters did not play McFadden enough early on...

McFadden play did not explode because of Hue scheme. It was that fact that he played him.

I totally disagree with this statement... Marshal and Bruce did way before Martz was here and Holt and Warner continued to be play-makers after they parted ways with Martz. You need play-makers period.

ED did it running in John Robinson running scheme but it was all ED.
    You're proving my point. You said Jackson was successful because of McFadden, when he only played so many games with all his injury history. That must mean that Jackson is good at adapting to the talent that he has, and can continue to produce even if losing a superstar.

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    You're proving my point. You said Jackson was successful because of McFadden, when he only played so many games with all his injury history. That must mean that Jackson is good at adapting to the talent that he has, and can continue to produce even if losing a superstar.
    sosa what am i going to do with you man Hue was not there when McFadden was in his first two years and did not play much. Hue came on in 2010. If you read my post I said that Hue is a good OC but lets not for get he had a stud at RB it helps that's all... But IMO coaches need playmakers period, take Martz he has never come close to what he did with all those Ram playmaker right? He did not change what he was doing as an OC but had less talent to work with.

Lets hope Brian Schottenheimer with SJax and Bradford possibly Blackmon with Lloyd he can look like a rock star we shall see...
    THOLTFAN81 and ManofGod like this.

sosa what am i going to do with you man Hue was not there when McFadden was in his first two years and did not play much. Hue came on in 2010. If you read my post I said that Hue is a good OC but lets not for get he had a stud at RB it helps that's all... But IMO coaches need playmakers period, take Martz he has never come close to what he did with all those Ram playmaker right? He did not change what he was doing as an OC but had less talent to work with.

Lets hope Brian Schottenheimer with SJax and Bradford possibly Blackmon with Lloyd he can look like a rock star we shall see...
    Thats my point man. McFadden was terrible his first 2 years whether he was injured or not. When Jackson comes along McFadden breaks out and is now considered one of the best RB's in the NFL when healthy.

Martz, sure he isn't as good when he is missing 6 Hall of Famers (soon to be)... No OC would be. But he is doing good things with Cutler and Forte.

Anyways, thats not my point about the OC. What im trying to get at is Jackson > Schottenheimer.

Lets hope im wrong!

You're right.....it did take McFadden a couple of years to come on.

2008 - 4.4 ypc
    2009 - 3.4 ypc
    2010 - 5.2 ypc
    2011 - 5.4 ypc

That's quite a jump between 2009 and 2010. I wondered what happened between 2009 and 2010? Hmm, what indeed?

But again......Jackson is somewhere else, and Schotty is our guy calling the plays. If Fisher wants him, then, well.......go Schotty!
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

How could he put up good numbers from the sideline is my point. I think you might be giving the OC more credit then he is due IMO.

Martz, sure he isn't as good when he is missing 6 Hall of Famers (soon to be)... No OC would be. But he is doing good things with Cutler and Forte.
    Not close to what he did with the Rams and you left out two stints with the Lions and whiners....

Former Bears offensive coordinator Mike Martz on Monday told NFL Network's Jason La Canfora that he will call it quits, retiring from coaching after a 20-year run that ended in Chicago. It’s hard to imagine he was turning down many offers from other NFL teams after his third straight failed coaching stint.

How could he put up good numbers from the sideline is my point. I think you might be giving the OC more credit then he is due IMO.
    That's why my numbers were per-carry numbers; not raw totals.

But again.....Schott's the man now.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast