Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Official: Rams London Bound

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Re: Official: Rams London Bound

Can someone let Dez know that we will all be crashing at his place for the weekend.
    RamDez likes this.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I don't get why the Rams would volunteer to give up a home game for three years in a row. That's great news for the British fans, but those trans-Atlantic flights aren't going to be doing the team any favors. And against New England in Fisher's first year? I guess the league isn't doing us any favors either.
    NB Ram likes this.

bring on the Pats

The way the Rams were haemorrhaging home tickets, I feel this will be the only Ram home game that MAKES money

See you in London

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by GROUND DOG 39 View Post
    I can live with Stan being the owner of Arsenal, Truth. Ive always had a bit of a soft spot for them, because of their manager Arsene Wenger. They have been a beautiful team to watch over the years. If it were Manchester United or Liverpool. Then, it could be a different story.??
    i find their brand of football pretty and all that but i hate Arsenal because they are sneaky and Wenger is a bit of a Belichick when it comes to sulking when his team loses. they get away with something dodgy Wenger generic reply "i did not zee that"...sees and complaints all the time when anything goes against Arsenal tho.
    all those lil girl spats he`s had with other coaches,refusing to shake their hands etc..

they had us banned from doing our Celery throwing ritual AT OUR OWN GROUND!!! we can still do it away tho.
    in the erm... 2002 FA Cup Semi Final against Fulham at Villa Park ,Villa reported that they had to remove 35,000 lumps of Celery from their ground after the ,didn't get us banned tho..hats off to Villa.. Arsenal at the time had Dein at the helm tho not Stan,atleast not in full power.

but they do hate Tottenham too so that kinda dilutes it a bit.

should mention i`m a Chelsea fan btw.haha paternal side of the family from Hammersmith, theres been Chelsea in my family since the 1930`s atleast. tend to prefer to go to away games now tho..Stamford Bridge has become somewhat of a tourist attraction in the last 7 or 8 years now and fans from years ago are being priced out of going to all games home and away like they used to..with them usually playing about 60 odd games a season these days,i`d prefer to go away with the hardcore..love our away Support.it`s always been great,as have Man City`s i know.

i got quite a few memories of away days at Man City over the years.especially at Maine Road..better try and resalvage this thread tho..haha.

clarasDK is offline Registered User

I know people in the US probably hate the NFL games in London concept, and I can really understand why it must suck to loss 3 home games!!!!!

But I for one I am REALLY happy!!!! At least I get to see the Rams LIVE!!!!! I live in Denmark and I will be at Wembley screaming my heart out for the Rams. And watching them trash the Patsies will be even greater!

I have been to two international games in London before (my m8 is a Bucs fan) and they are not as great as seeing the games in the US (have seen two games in the US), but they are a great party for all NFL fans in Europe. It is like a big party with 82.000 people who love the NFL and represent all teams. And it is a very good way to promote the teams playing generating new fans.

Last year I even manage to say hi to Marshall Faulk and get his autograph on my Rams cap, and I got probs for wearing a Holt jersey from both Faulk and the English speakers! And I was also invited to the Goodell session were around 100 fans got to do Q&A with him, and Bettis showed up also. VERY NICE!

And please do not under estimate how knowledgeable the NFL fans are in Europe and how hardcore we follow our teams. We sit up each sunday into the early morning to follow the games, even if we have to get to work or in school. EVERY SUNDAY (and other days). Getting the real product to a place within reach really mean a lot.

For me today is like Christmas and Birthday on the same day! The Rams in London YEHAA!

GO RAMS!
    RamDez, GROUND DOG 39 and RuffRams like this.

Ban Hammer is offline Registered User

I'm furious with this--absolutely furious. This is the first step to me letting go of the Rams. Unless Stan ponies up some of this extra cash to help finance either a new stadium or a renovated EJD, I see no positives.

Oh, and they're taking by far our best game on the schedule. So we have to pay for meaningless, stupid preseason games, but the Pats game is gone? The Rams are the only team I've ever followed in the NFL, but that is quickly coming to an end. I'm just glad I didn't buck up for the season tix.

The best thing about living in the Midwest is that there are 5-6 other teams within driving distance on weekend.
    Last edited by Ban Hammer; -01-20-2012 at 03:48 PM.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

LONDON (AP) -- The St. Louis Rams took the first step to becoming Britain's "home" team Friday, agreeing to play a regular-season NFL game in London in each of the next three seasons.

And first up are the New England Patriots, who are two wins from another Super Bowl title.

The Rams and Patriots meet at Wembley on Oct. 28, about two months after the closing ceremony of the London Olympics. That will be followed by games at Wembley against undetermined opponents in 2013 and 2014.

The Rams are owned by Stan Kroenke, who is also the majority shareholder in the English soccer club Arsenal. The team will give up home games in St. Louis for the three seasons they are in London.

"We've seen first-hand the increased popularity of the NFL not only in London but throughout Europe," Kroenke said in a statement. "To play a role in that growth over the next three years will be incredible and is a testament to the many good things happening not only in the NFL but also in the St. Louis Rams organization."

This year's contest will be the sixth regular-season game at Wembley. But despite plans to bring a second game to Britain starting next season, the NFL said the Rams-Patriots date would be the only one in 2012.

"This year is a very competitive year for sport in the UK, especially with the Olympics in London," NFLUK managing director Alistair Kirkwood said. "Also, with the Rams having made an unprecedented commitment to playing in the UK for the next three years, we wanted to focus on them as our 'home' team without another game taking place.

"We would like to increase beyond one game per year as soon as possible and the five-year commitment by the owners to playing in the UK allows us to make that decision when we feel it is appropriate."

NFL owners agreed last year to play regular-season games in the UK for the next five seasons. The league said Friday all the games would be played at Wembley. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has repeatedly spoken of the possibility of a full-time franchise in the UK one day.
    The Rams finished 2-14 this season, tied for the NFL's worst, and have won only 15 games the last five seasons. Last week, the team hired Jeff Fisher as coach to replace the fired Steve Spagnuolo.

The NFL first played at Wembley in 2007, with the New York Giants beating the Miami Dolphins 13-10. Since then, seven other teams have visited Britain, with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers making the trip twice.
    The Patriots have already been to London, beating the Bucs 35-7 in 2009. The Bucs returned this season, losing to the Chicago Bears 24-18 in October - the first of the Wembley games that wasn't a sellout.

This season, the Patriots have been one of the best teams in the league. Led by Tom Brady, they will face the Baltimore Ravens on Sunday in the AFC championship with a chance to reach their fifth Super Bowl in the last 11 years.

And Patriots owner Robert Kraft is already looking forward to coming back to London, especially since they again don't have to give up a home game.

"For us in a way it is like, I think, having another home game, we have such a large fan base there," Kraft said. "We have had a group of fans come over from the UK and come here to a game each year and it is a tremendous fan base. Happy we will be able to go over there."

In the NFC championship, the San Francisco ***** host the New York Giants.

cfh128 is offline Registered User

WOW and I thought I was excited that the Rams were playing in Buffalo this year! LOL congrats to you UK fans!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

This is great for our members in the UK, but the notion of a team based over there? Absolutely ridiculous. What in the world is Goodell thinking?? There is a reason teams perform better at home, and it's not just fan support. Travel is a pain in the ass, especially overseas. It would be a logistical nightmare and a huge disadvantage for all concerned.

That said, I'm all for the Faiders and Cheatriots being based in the UK
    Curly Horns and THOLTFAN81 like this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I think some people are overreacting.

There is no reason to presume that the Rams are going to move to L.A. or London because of this.

For those in St. Louis, instead of fearing the worst, you should hope that the EJD will recognize that their Kroenke might have other options and respond by truly improving the stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by Ban Hammer View Post
    I'm furious with this--absolutely furious. This is the first step to me letting go of the Rams. Unless Stan ponies up some of this extra cash to help finance either a new stadium or a renovated EJD, I see no positives.

Oh, and they're taking by far our best game on the schedule. So we have to pay for meaningless, stupid preseason games, but the Pats game is gone? The Rams are the only team I've ever followed in the NFL, but that is quickly coming to an end. I'm just glad I didn't buck up for the season tix.

The best thing about living in the Midwest is that there are 5-6 other teams within driving distance on weekend.
    WOW, this post just about sums up WHY they are playing in London for three games.
    Rammed likes this.

Jockelite is offline Registered User

I really don't think an NFL team would ever end up in London, let alone the Rams.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

So when are the Rams going to announce the fact that they will play here in Toronto for 3 years in a row? .... Happy for you guys! Gonna be a good game, and $tan$ gonna get paid!

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Three years? Wow. Kroenke sure does like his 'jack'.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Seems like after reading that, this will be anything but a home game against the patsies. I think this move makes a lot of sense for Kroenke's wallet, but not so sure it helps the team in any way. The only thing I can think of is that Kroenke's desire to put a better product on the field will increase, so the Rams aren't an international embarrassment for 3 years. I highly doubt things are any different over there than they are here, and no new fan wants to follow a perennial loser. So if Kroenke hopes to gain any new fans overseas, we can't put up as pathetic of a product as this year. It also gives him additional leverage against STL after the lease is up, so this is a huge win for Kroenke.