Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Official: Rams London Bound

rampower is offline Registered User

Re: Official: Rams London Bound

The rams wont end up in london permanantly. At worst this is Stan showing STL he is willing to go where the stadium is full. (Rember he made sure there was no blackouts last year) As a RAMS FAN the last thing I want is a move, they need to stay put for another 20 years until the only thing everybody 35 and younger has ever known is the RAMS as their team. But Stan needs return on investment and this will promote the rams and possibly also show that he is willing to shop them around. Hopefully this will secure them a good upgrade in STL. If everybody doesn't turn up to the dome because of this, then they WILL leave.

Sorry Ban Hammer, as somebody who flys half way round the world, now 20 times, to watch the rams, come rain come shine, I just cant agree with your comments. If the dome was full every week this wouldn't of happened. I can understand anyone being upset with losing a home game, it would kill me as a fan, but there is 2 answers. Spit dummy go away, or realise why it happened and go to every game so you dont lose your team. I want the rams in STL, with a full stadum and a sucessful team, moving is bad for a team. It takes years to get a fanbase, after the initial excitement fades. The NFL is obssessed with spreading the word and it would not suprise me to have a franchise elsewhere oneday, canada, mexico, or at a stretch europe. Whether that is good for the game who knows, but the only reason the bills play in canada and the rams are gonna play in London is because their home stadiums are not full, plain and simple. Hopefully a better product may fill the dome, the deal for a stadium upgrade will be done and you wont lose our team.
    Last edited by rampower; -01-20-2012 at 05:11 PM. Reason: spelling disasta!
    RamDez, majorram and Aussie Dave like this.

The Breakfast Club. You want cheese with that?

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ban Hammer View Post
    I'm furious with this--absolutely furious. This is the first step to me letting go of the Rams. Unless Stan ponies up some of this extra cash to help finance either a new stadium or a renovated EJD, I see no positives.

Oh, and they're taking by far our best game on the schedule. So we have to pay for meaningless, stupid preseason games, but the Pats game is gone? The Rams are the only team I've ever followed in the NFL, but that is quickly coming to an end. I'm just glad I didn't buck up for the season tix.

The best thing about living in the Midwest is that there are 5-6 other teams within driving distance on weekend.
    Having the Rams in St.Louis is a privilege not a right... I'm in LA and I really don't want to see them move period. But I also don't want to see no home field advantage due to lack of fan support either. London will not happen just can't see that. LA is a real possibility as you stated Stan needs to add cash to get the EJD up to standards.

The London games makes sense, this franchise has lost a lot of it's luster and today the Rams are being discussed on major media outlets which is good. Stan is a business man is making us relevant again. IMO

I like the London deal...
    RamDez likes this.

sephjnr is offline Registered User

As I was planning on coming over in September for the opener/2nd/whatever, I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Sod it, I'll try both.

sephjnr is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Having the Rams in St.Louis is a privilege not a right... I'm in LA and I really don't want to see them move period. But I also don't want to see no home field advantage due to lack of fan support either. London will not happen just can't see that. LA is a real possibility as you stated Stan needs to add cash to get the EJD up to standards.

The London games makes sense, this franchise has lost a lot of it's luster and today the Rams are being discussed on major media outlets which is good. Stan is a business man is making us relevant again. IMO

I like the London deal...
    Not trying to detract from the Rams' drawing power, but with Kroenke's connections wouldn't it be better to have the game at Emirates Stadium, to improve the chances of a sellout?

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    Seems like after reading that, this will be anything but a home game against the patsies. I think this move makes a lot of sense for Kroenke's wallet, but not so sure it helps the team in any way. The only thing I can think of is that Kroenke's desire to put a better product on the field will increase, so the Rams aren't an international embarrassment for 3 years. I highly doubt things are any different over there than they are here, and no new fan wants to follow a perennial loser. So if Kroenke hopes to gain any new fans overseas, we can't put up as pathetic of a product as this year. It also gives him additional leverage against STL after the lease is up, so this is a huge win for Kroenke.
    It is quite a bold move by Kroenke considering the recent futility of the team. But I dont think he would attempt it, if he didn't have confidence in the team improving.? I like the fact the Rams are coming to London to play a regular season game, but not three years in a row.
    It would probably bring in a few more supporters to the Rams, but I still do not think the game will take hold in this country. So I can see why people are calling this more of a hindrance, than anything else.

rampower is offline Registered User

We are so starved of live football action that the games tend to sell out here to fans if all NFL teams, so it will sell out pretty much, but these games never feel anything like a home game due to the spread of different fans.
    The Breakfast Club. You want cheese with that?

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    I don't know what this infatuation is with "making the game global". The game shows record profits each year and is the most popular of the major sports leagues in the U.S. And the notion of putting a team in Europe permanently is ridiculous. No player wants to travel there 8 times a year to play a home game, nor will American fans be able to do the same.

Rams fans cannot see Tom Brady and season ticket holders get cheated out of a home game this year, but they WILL have to pony up money for 4 meaningless pre-season football games. Like the Commissioner says, "It's all about the fans".
    I have to agree with your thoughts here.

This is great for the UK fans, but I think it is a dumb idea for the Rams team and the fans in St. Louis. Schedule can mean alot in the NFL and I don't see how this helps the Rams.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblin` Ram View Post
    i find their brand of football pretty and all that but i hate Arsenal because they are sneaky and Wenger is a bit of a Belichick when it comes to sulking when his team loses. they get away with something dodgy Wenger generic reply "i did not zee that"...sees and complaints all the time when anything goes against Arsenal tho.
    all those lil girl spats he`s had with other coaches,refusing to shake their hands etc..

they had us banned from doing our Celery throwing ritual AT OUR OWN GROUND!!! we can still do it away tho.
    in the erm... 2002 FA Cup Semi Final against Fulham at Villa Park ,Villa reported that they had to remove 35,000 lumps of Celery from their ground after the ,didn't get us banned tho..hats off to Villa.. Arsenal at the time had Dein at the helm tho not Stan,atleast not in full power.

but they do hate Tottenham too so that kinda dilutes it a bit.

should mention i`m a Chelsea fan btw.haha paternal side of the family from Hammersmith, theres been Chelsea in my family since the 1930`s atleast. tend to prefer to go to away games now tho..Stamford Bridge has become somewhat of a tourist attraction in the last 7 or 8 years now and fans from years ago are being priced out of going to all games home and away like they used to..with them usually playing about 60 odd games a season these days,i`d prefer to go away with the hardcore..love our away Support.it`s always been great,as have Man City`s i know.

i got quite a few memories of away days at Man City over the years.especially at Maine Road..better try and resalvage this thread tho..haha.
    Wenger has never had the money of the other managers, yet has consistently produced young, talented, ascending players for his teams. Its difficult not to respect that with all the wealth of the competition. I don't mind Chelsea as a team as well RR. They should have won that Champions Final, god. Ive often pulled for Chelsea to beat Man.U in the league, so I do have an affinity with Chelsea too. I don't think City have been good enough over recent times, to build a strong rivalry against the London sides. But, I think that could change pretty soon though.

Ban Hammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamDez View Post
    WOW, this post just about sums up WHY they are playing in London for three games.
    Yeah? Because I've gone to 50-60 Rams games since they moved to town? I've spent a stupid amount of money on tickets, merch, concessions, etc. I think I reserve the right to be upset with the team when they do things like this.
    NB Ram likes this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rampower View Post
    The rams wont end up in london permanantly. At worst this is Stan showing STL he is willing to go where the stadium is full. (Rember he made sure there was no blackouts last year) As a RAMS FAN the last thing I want is a move, they need to stay put for another 20 years until the only thing everybody 35 and younger has ever known is the RAMS as their team. But Stan needs return on investment and this will promote the rams and possibly also show that he is willing to shop them around. Hopefully this will secure them a good upgrade in STL. If everybody doesn't turn up to the dome because of this, then they WILL leave.

Sorry Ban Hammer, as somebody who flys half way round the world, now 20 times, to watch the rams, come rain come shine, I just cant agree with your comments. If the dome was full every week this wouldn't of happened. I can understand anyone being upset with losing a home game, it would kill me as a fan, but there is 2 answers. Spit dummy go away, or realise why it happened and go to every game so you dont lose your team. I want the rams in STL, with a full stadum and a sucessful team, moving is bad for a team. It takes years to get a fanbase, after the initial excitement fades. The NFL is obssessed with spreading the word and it would not suprise me to have a franchise elsewhere oneday, canada, mexico, or at a stretch europe. Whether that is good for the game who knows, but the only reason the bills play in canada and the rams are gonna play in London is because their home stadiums are not full, plain and simple. Hopefully a better product may fill the dome, the deal for a stadium upgrade will be done and you wont lose our team.
    This is not true at all. The Bills have one of the best fanbases in the NFL. The only reason they play in markets like England and Toronto is to test them out to see what kind of figures future teams looking to move may have. Why would these teams only choose these locations?

The Bills play 30 minutes from Toronto. The only reason teams are playing in different places is to test markets. Teams are going to move and eventually I think we will have a team in LA and Toronto. Not so sure about Europe.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

First off, let me say that the commish's plan to have a team in the UK is absolutely stupid. It would be logistically impossible and put that UK team at such a disadvantage that it shouldn't be considered. The travel would kill any team flying back and forth across the ocean for away games, especially west-coast games. Dumb, dumb idea.

As for the Rams giving up three home games in the next three years? Guess Stan has found a way to increase home ticket sales. I don't like it at all.

I'm going to say something that's not going to be very popular with some Rams fans, but this decision to give up three home games when a team is trying to turn it around is very strange, to say the least, but there is a scenario where it makes more sense. I believe the Rams are moving, and I believe they're moving sooner than 2014-2015. IF the Rams accept the offer to go to LA this year, their new stadium will not be ready for 2-3 years. Hmmmm. The same time frame as this new deal in the UK.... The Rams will have to play all their "home" games in the Rose Bowl while the new stadium is being built, so giving away one home game each season while they're in temporary gigs isn't so bad. I think it's a pretty good possibility that one of the LA stadium investors will buy out the remaining stadium lease in Stl, and Stan will move the team to LA.

Just trying to connect the dots.....
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

sonnyjames is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    I'm going to say something that's not going to be very popular with some Rams fans, but this decision to give up three home games when a team is trying to turn it around is very strange, to say the least, but there is a scenario where it makes more sense. I believe the Rams are moving, and I believe they're moving sooner than 2014-2015. IF the Rams accept the offer to go to LA this year, their new stadium will not be ready for 2-3 years. Hmmmm. The same time frame as this new deal in the UK.... The Rams will have to play all their "home" games in the Rose Bowl while the new stadium is being built, so giving away one home game each season while they're in temporary gigs isn't so bad. I think it's a pretty good possibility that one of the LA stadium investors will buy out the remaining stadium lease in Stl, and Stan will move the team to LA.

Personally, I think there's a lot less dots to connect.

The UK deal expires at the same time the EJD lease expires. IF you move the team to e.g. LA then you're not going to want to take away a home game in the first season.

So stay or leave, Kroenke's on a winner. This only strengthens his hand at the STL table ('see what a difference losing ONE game makes to the city's finances? Try losing all of them...') while building the brand, selling more seats (Wembley's close on 90k) and probably raking it in from more merchandise. If there's one thing UK football grounds (and the Wembley game) are good at doing it's selling you branded tat. My visit to the EJD this year resulted in such a frustrated attempt to find Rams gear that I ended up spending more with a shop in the mall.

I think this is all about Kroenke doing what's right for Kroenke. No more or less dots than that.
    Rammed and ZiaRam like this.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sonnyjames View Post
    Personally, I think there's a lot less dots to connect.

The UK deal expires at the same time the EJD lease expires. IF you move the team to e.g. LA then you're not going to want to take away a home game in the first season.

So stay or leave, Kroenke's on a winner. This only strengthens his hand at the STL table ('see what a difference losing ONE game makes to the city's finances? Try losing all of them...') while building the brand, selling more seats (Wembley's close on 90k) and probably raking it in from more merchandise. If there's one thing UK football grounds (and the Wembley game) are good at doing it's selling you branded tat. My visit to the EJD this year resulted in such a frustrated attempt to find Rams gear that I ended up spending more with a shop in the mall.

I think this is all about Kroenke doing what's right for Kroenke. No more or less dots than that.
    Well, whichever scenario best connects the dots, the bottomline is, Stan doesn't seemed concerned about the fans in Stl. When fan support is waning, it seems very odd that he would take away one home game of eight for the next three years. Not a good way to "win back the fans". Therefore, he must have already conceeded that he's bailing out of Stl. I believe this was part of the conversation with Fisher, because you know the UK deal has been in the works for a while, This didn't just happen over night. In fact, you have to believe that this was all but set as the Fisher negotiation was going on, hence, his concern over a move.

There is much more to this than we're being told because you do not take away home games when you're trying to get them to come back. It just makes no sense, and Stan is a very savvy business man.

I was just watching PTI on TV and both guys believe a Rams move is on the horizon, and the best thing for them.
    Last edited by RAMFANRAIDERHATER; -01-21-2012 at 01:21 AM.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    First off, let me say that the commish's plan to have a team in the UK is absolutely stupid. It would be logistically impossible and put that UK team at such a disadvantage that it shouldn't be considered. The travel would kill any team flying back and forth across the ocean for away games, especially west-coast games. Dumb, dumb idea.

As for the Rams giving up three home games in the next three years? Guess Stan has found a way to increase home ticket sales. I don't like it at all.

Seems like an excellent and realistic strategy. But the only thing I wouldn't understand is why Fisher is here then? Fisher made it his main argument that the reason the signing of himself took so long was because he was afraid of moving. Why would we sign him if we plan on moving? Unless he said that just to convince the media to believe him, when behind the doors he is probably all for moving to LA and he and Stan just want to bargain as much as they can from the negotiating tables?

Not sure, but I guess we will see. I'd definitely be open to moving back to LA.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

FYI for everyone saying these London games sell out every year. Last year's game had 9,019 tickets that did not sell. Granted the capacity is 86,000, so they did still sell 76,981 tickets. For reference the Edward Jones Dome's capacity is 66,000 and it doesn't sell out either.

The main reason I posted about the game in London not selling out is so our Clan brethren don't rush out on the first day and overpay for tickets. If you wait til closer to time you can get them for much less I'm sure.