Thread: Offseason...

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Offseason...

This offseason needs to be beyond productive. We need new management, a new GM, a new owner.

I went to the game today with a friend and his father, and he did a business deal with the Vikings, handling new ownership and the new owner said this, "I've never owned one of these before." He made it sound as if he's never had a Toyota.

My point is, we need a new owner that knows what they are doing and or will do the right thing in hiring the right people to control the team and what they do with draft decisions and FA acquisitions, etc, etc. I'm still angry that we didn't pick up Bill Parcels, it was a huge mistake that we didn't atleast try to get him.

Let's look at what we need:

1. Games are won in the trenches, and we apply no pressure on defense and we succumb to the pressure on offense. We need to change this immediately, especially with the offensive line.

2. I like Marc Bulger, but at this point I think the guy has been hit too many times. He was making some pretty bad throws today and the pass intended to Avery that resulted in an interception was really bad. That was all his fault. Don't get me wrong, life would be a lot easier if he would function well under a solid line, but I'm just not sold on that theory whatsoever.

So I'd say draft a prospect in the 4th or later rounds and see what we can do. I'm not looking for a true franchise QB just yet, because I'm not sold on any of the QBs that are going to be drafted this year.

3. We need to not only draft offensive linemen but we need incredible FA acqusitions at whatever cost, and trades. I don't really care, trade Holt for a draft pick or a player, it doesn't matter. Things need to be turned around, and with a new owner willing to spend some money, next season might be a good one.

4. Let's see how the rest of the season pans out, but I'm not sure if Haslett is the guy, I really do like him but I'm seeing the same awful attitudes from the players that I saw with Linehan so it's really hard to say if Haslett isn't the guy or if it's a vast majority of average players bringing down the leaders, who knows...I'd love to see what that locker room looks like.

I'd love to pick up a coach who knows what he's doing and is proven, like others have said, Cowher would be great, but it's a dream more than a reality...

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

DistantRam is offline Registered User

Re: Offseason...

Good post, Varg6, but I'd say that Billy Devaney has only just been introduced as our draft expert and should be given more time to prove his worth. The rest of the FO can go, as far as I'm concerned.

Agreed, Devaney is a keeper.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Devaney needs to stay. Wipe everyone else out. I mean from top to bottom, wipe them out!

I'm officially sold that we need defensive help. To have someone go up that quick that soon shows that we need defensive help. I'm on the Maulauga bandwagon officially. If anyone else wants to join, go for it. Even with the best offense in the league, our defense would just let the team waltz on us. Needs to change.

We can draft a decent OT in the second round. Who knows, one might fall in our laps. But we need to spend top dollar on a great FA center, right guard and right tackle.

I would draft a SS in the third round.

If we have to...we can make some big trades for draft picks. We need them bad.

I'm fine with that pick IF we have some major FA acquisitions. We need to trade players, we need to pay top dollar for OL and then we can look at a pick like that, especially if we're not in a good spot in the draft...

rams2061 Guest

Bulger, Green and the entire defense needs to go.

DistantRam is offline Registered User

Not sure that we need to spend all that money/trades on the OL: we need to play Schuening and Greco for the rest of this year to assess them. Bell was a very good player for the Titans and he can't have become a bad player overnight- it's likely that he's simply got too much to do, stuck as he is between Pace's weakened right side and the dismal Leckey. If things turn out well for the two rookies, we could be looking at needing a new LT (one of Oher, Monroe and Smith) and a new centre in the draft: the 2009 draft is very deep in terms of centre prospects, too, so we should get a potential starter in the second or third round.

I like Maualaga in the first round, if the three elite LTs have already gone....

Quote Originally Posted by DistantRam View Post
    Not sure that we need to spend all that money/trades on the OL: we need to play Schuening and Greco for the rest of this year to assess them. Bell was a very good player for the Titans and he can't have become a bad player overnight- it's likely that he's simply got too much to do, stuck as he is between Pace's weakened right side and the dismal Leckey. If things turn out well for the two rookies, we could be looking at needing a new LT (one of Oher, Monroe and Smith) and a new centre in the draft: the 2009 draft is very deep in terms of centre prospects, too, so we should get a potential starter in the second or third round.

I like Maualaga in the first round, if the three elite LTs have already gone....
    Yeah who knows if Schuening or Greco will do anything, I think it's time to start mixing things up, let some more rookies play and see what they can do. I'd start cutting players and laying down the law if I were Haslett.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    Devaney needs to stay. Wipe everyone else out. I mean from top to bottom, wipe them out!

I'm officially sold that we need defensive help. To have someone go up that quick that soon shows that we need defensive help. I'm on the Maulauga bandwagon officially. If anyone else wants to join, go for it. Even with the best offense in the league, our defense would just let the team waltz on us. Needs to change.

We can draft a decent OT in the second round. Who knows, one might fall in our laps. But we need to spend top dollar on a great FA center, right guard and right tackle.

I would draft a SS in the third round.

If we have to...we can make some big trades for draft picks. We need them bad.
    I'm not for drafting Mauluga unless we switch to a 3-4. IMO we should switch to a 3-4. The defense did give up 47 but the offense put up 3. You can make an argument on both sides for which is worse. We desperately need a Franchise tackle. There aren't many situations were three are available and we need to jump on this opportunity this year. Here's what you do you move Barron permanently to RG and put the rookie at RT until pace retires. We then draft a center or sign Matt birk. In the future the line should be

LT- Monroe/Smith/ Oher (one of the three)
    LG- Bell
    C- Drafted Center or Birk
    RG- Barron
    RT- Grecco

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    I'm not for drafting Mauluga unless we switch to a 3-4. IMO we should switch to a 3-4. The defense did give up 47 but the offense put up 3. You can make an argument on both sides for which is worse. We desperately need a Franchise tackle. There aren't many situations were three are available and we need to jump on this opportunity this year. Here's what you do you move Barron permanently to RG and put the rookie at RT until pace retires. We then draft a center or sign Matt birk. In the future the line should be

LT- Monroe/Smith/ Oher (one of the three)
    LG- Bell
    C- Drafted Center or Birk
    RG- Barron
    RT- Grecco
    AHHH I'm stuck in the same situation as last year.

I don't know which way to go because both sides of the ball is a joke.

I like your ideas, but I want the defense fixed too. We've been getting burnt by just about every team we have played this year. Definately has something to do with the defense.

But we're not putting up points to make the game fun to watch. And its obvious that we have arguably the worst line in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    AHHH I'm stuck in the same situation as last year.

I don't know which way to go because both sides of the ball is a joke.

I like your ideas, but I want the defense fixed too. We've been getting burnt by just about every team we have played this year. Definately has something to do with the defense.

But we're not putting up points to make the game fun to watch. And its obvious that we have arguably the worst line in the NFL.
    Yeah, I agree with you. Like I said, it's all about the trenches. We fail miserably with our offensive line and defensive line. Favre was not pressured once today, it was pitiful. If we could actually get pressure we may not have such an awful defense. Mind you, we still need massive upgrades with our dbs...