r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Offseason Spotlight: Spagnuolo's Impact On Rams' Defense

Offseason spotlight: Spagnuolo's impact on Rams' defense
    NFL.com

Steve Spagnuolo is at the helm in St. Louis after spending two seasons as the Giants' defensive coordinator.

As part of NFL Network's 32 teams in 32 days series, airing daily on NFL Total Access, NFL.com takes a look at a key question facing each NFL team.

NFL Network analysts Rod Woodson and Solomon Wilcots discuss the Rams under new head coach Steve Spagnuolo. What type of impact will Spagnuolo have on the Rams' defense in his first season?

Woodson: Rams will be aggressive

I believe Spagnuolo's impact on the Rams will be great -- if for no other reason than they'll be more aggressive.

The Rams will get after the quarterback and do a lot of blitzing. Last year, they had just 30 sacks, which was tied for 16th in the league. They're going to have more than that. Everyone will be involved in it. Just having a more aggressive defense will make the defense better.

When you look at it, I think it will take a couple years to get all of the pieces in place. You're already seeing some of the changes on the roster as Spagnuolo gets more of his type of players on the roster, both through free agency and the draft.

Coach Spagnuolo has the Rams' defense headed in the right direction, just because he's aggressive.

Wilcots: Issues with secondary

I think Spagnuolo will make a dent in terms of getting the Rams' defense to improve.

I still think they will come up short defensively, though. Some of the muscle he had in New York with the Giants -- they had a tremendous rotation on their defensive line -- there's nowhere near that rotation in St. Louis. I think he'll get some production from Chris Long, last year's first-round pick, who I think will be a really good player.

But in year one under Spagnuolo, I don't quite see it happening. The way to think about it would be turning it around in year two or three. He needs to get more horses to build the same defense he had with the Giants.

I do think the Rams will try to be more aggressive, but I still have issues with their secondary. You can only be aggressive if your secondary can hold up. Right now, they don't seem to have that type of play-making ability on the back end. You can want to be aggressive, but if you're giving up big plays down the field because the coverage doesn't hold up, that ties your hands as a signal-caller.

Re: Offseason Spotlight: Spagnuolo's Impact On Rams' Defense

Right now, they don't seem to have that type of play-making ability on the back end.
    I guess Wilcots has never heard of Atogwe or Bartell.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I guess Wilcots has never heard of Atogwe or Bartell.
    Add Butler to that list yet he makes a valid point in that it still leaves at least one huge question mark in the starting secondary,never mind depth.There are options that one can be optimistic bout; Hill,King,Fletcher, but ...

And other than losing SJ to injury, nothing scares me more than a Rams D-line without Long for any length of time. A lot fewer hopeful options there, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    Add Butler to that list yet he makes a valid point in that it still leaves at least one huge question mark in the starting secondary,never mind depth.
    Very true, but his point was that the Rams don't seem to have ANY play-making ability in the secondary, which in my opinion is a rediculous statement. I would have had no problem with what he said if it referenced a specific position or depth question, but he didn't, so I do.

Just another pundit spouting off without checking the facts.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Hopefully he s wrong, the rams secondry is definately flying under the radar.
    He's got a point though, I dont expect a vastly improved D.
    I expect a big - play D , but also giving up the big play's this year.
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -06-08-2009 at 07:55 PM.