elAcky Guest

Offseason tinkering vs upheaval

If I were to sum up the season, it would have to be that we were severely spanked and we were damn lucky to be in the nfc west otherwise we would have faced total humiliation. In essence we can gloss over the season all we want but the only positives for me are:
    - Bulger is our franchise QB
    - We are deep at WR
    - Jackson showed some promise
    - The DL showed an upward trend - Kennedy and Hargrove announced their presence

Negatives:
    - We were so bad at both run and pass defence that we avoided being last in both categories as teams were able to play with a balanced offence
    - Our OL cannot block anyone and gave away a ludicrous amount of sacks, penalties and lost yardage mostly in critical situations - putting a lot of pressure on Bulger and the young guys in the backfield
    - We have so little depth at most defensive spots that our coverage teams were the laughing stock of the league
    - Take away our divisional opponents and our only wins were to a poor Tampa, a reserve eagles team and our only noticeable win against the Jets… all at home
    - We have holes in every position except WR, RB and DT although this last one is debatable.

This offseason should not be about adjustments/tinkering ..i.e. a FA and draft pick here or there… it has to be about UPHEIVAL… few ideas:

- I've already mentioned the Holt trade which went down like a sack of lead - we could use him to make a play for Trotter… Holt for Trotter + a #2/3. personally I think we have the system and talent to distribute the load amongst the other receivers next year and see who can step up. We can fill the gap early in the draft.
    - Use Pace to make a play for Walter Jones (both seem unhappy and we can take something away from a divisional rival) - maybe a three way trade with someone !!
    - Bring in in an OG in FA and ROT in the draft that can contribute within a year.
    - Trade Little while he is worth something
    - Find a decent TE… Bulger will be much better served with a decent short passing game. Additionally it will help hide the deficiencies in the OL.
    - Obviously Marmie goes

More thoughts:
    - I would bring Polley back if the money is right - I think he has enough upside to him
    - I would give Thomas a stab on the outside
    - We desperately need to #1 CB - we have to make a play for one (can't afford to gamble in the draft) - maybe Lucas

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Re: Offseason tinkering vs upheaval

Bulger is not going to last too many seasons under Martz. Martz does nothing to protect his QBs so don't expect them to last a long time.

They should get rid of Pace and work on the OL line.

They should definitely keep Holt. He is a leader and motivator for this team.

Marmie needs to go now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

I think we need to make several changes this offseason. Look for several new faces in the starting lineup.

Please, oh please can we make a commitment to Special Teams, Martzie?

sbramfan Guest

I would give Thomas a stab on the outside
    I would give Thomas a stab in the gut, and then release him.

I'm OK with keeping any of them as backup's and possibly Tinoisomoa as a starter, but they need to get 2 or 3 linebackers who can play, and the lack of a great CB will not be as big of an issue.

theodus69 Guest

So you get rid of Marmie,then who do you get? I think you run into the same problem..........They don't have the personel to run THEIR DEFENSE! I don't think Marmie is a little bunch of fast guys type of coach. As far as I know (and I could be wrong) Tampa is the only place that worked and tyhat was a special bunch of guys, Just like 99 was a special bunch of guys on Offense. It's all about personel and I think something is lacking on both sides. That is why both Martz and Marmie aren't having this great success we all want them to have ! :tough:

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

and possibly Tinoisomoa as a starter
    Possibly? He can start on my team any day.