Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

OK, convince me!

I have read plenty of posts from people saying fans shouldn't look at the bright side of last night's defeat, that instead we should all don sackcloth and ashes, and mourn the death of the 2008 season for our Rams.

Convince me why I should!

I watched only the first quarter, but I did listen to the entire game. Of course, the TV broadcast was done by the Titans Network, meaning that the commentary was biased in favor of the Titans. The other 3 quarters was a mix of NFL's gamecenter and KTVI audio, niether of which was very good.

What I came out of the media barrage I witnessed is the following:

1. Marc looked a little rusty. Of course, considering that there was only TWO others on the offense who had ever played in Saunder's system, I expected to see some confusion. But, I guess that since Marc didn't launch a 99 yard Hail Mary for 6 on the first possession means that Marc is all washed up. After all, when a reciever isn't in the right place at the right time, it's always the QB's fault.

2. I also saw a really good defense beat our O-line. Considering that these front five guys have NEVER played a single game together before, We know it's all Pace's fault. He is all washed up, and we should have traded for Jake Long and then overpaid him to take Pace's spot.

3. I saw 2 passes go long, so long that no one on either team had a chance to get to them. It didn't matter that both times the recievers were double covered and had no chance in hell of breaking away, those recievers must suck, so we should have traded them for some untested rookie. Darn Linehan for drafting someone who has skills that our offense could use instead of some other rookie!

4. I saw our defense get beat up. Badly. Even though they made a solid stand in the red zone, we know they suck. It doesn't matter that some of our starters were out, we should have beaten the Titans back into the stone age with undersized, inexperienced rookies. It's all Haslett's fault for not having UFA's and rookies available that we can afford.

5. Our "wannabe's" didn't come back in the second half and win the game. Of course, they have had a whole 90 days or so to forget everything they ever learned about football just to learn football all over again. I forget that other millionaires such as Bill Gates have been there before. Didn't he have to forget everything he knew about Windows 98 to learn Windows XP in just 90 days? He didn't? Oh my. Those rookies and coaches have to go....NOW!

So, as you can see, I am NOT saying everything will be OK by next week. In fact, I'll be happy if we win 3 of our first 8, and come out 8-8 this season. I know all is not well in St. Louis as of yet, and I didn't expect it to be. Last year I had hope, because everything was in place. This year, we have a tougher schedule, most of our great players are either gone or they are getting older, we have a lot of kids who are still learning the ropes (believe it or not, it sometimes takes a rookie 2 or 3 seasons to get good!), and we have a lot of new coaching faces. We are a team that is still rebuilding, and likely will be doing so for a few more years. On top of all this, Georgia just passed away not too long ago, so the new ownership is still in a very mixed-up state.

So, if I take your black-hearted approach to things, we get rid of Linehan. Who's going to take his place NOW? Not Haslett, because you have his head on the chopping block already. Saunders? He doesn't own a magic wand, and if it took more than 3 games for him to make an unbeatable team, then he'd be next. Not only that, but we could extend this entire perception to society as a whole. We could do away with the entire court system, since it would no longer take reasonable proof to convict someone. We could even do away with elections! All we'd have to do is point out how someone had a bad hair day, so they aren't qualified for office!

So - convince me. Tell me why I should turn from a fan who supports my team, who looks at a loss that doesn't mean a thing and finds SOMETHING encouraging. Tell me why I should be convinced that it is better to pass judgement after one poor performance than to watch and see how the entire season goes. Tell me why?

Before you answer - go look into the mirror and ask yourself this: Am I really a Rams fan, or am I just someone who is a fan when things go my way?

Those of us who are trying to find hope are not blind to the poor performances. We aren't walking around with dumb smiles on our faces. We want to see the Rams respected because they are a great team. We all want to see Belicheck cry because the Rams just stomped their butts. We just aren't willing to hide our faces because the team sucks. I wear Rams gear with pride, I drive around with Rams logos on my truck. I sure as hell ain't gonna take it off just because of one lousy game that followed one lousy season. Maybe those of you who are ready to pack it in need to find a Rams fan who lived through the 90's and ask them how they survived - and if they quit representing the team proudly.

Now - convince me to wear that stylish sackcloth and ashes you have on.

Ben56 is offline Registered User

Re: OK, convince me!

Sackcloth itches. Dont do it.

Preseason games mean little. However they can indicate areas in which a team is lacking or areas that need work. That's what we saw in the Titans game.

1.The o-line needs to gell. Barring injury they will.

2.The offense needs Jackson. He makes the running game go which makes the passing game more effective.

3. The team lacks quality depth. The Rams have been quiet in the FA market where they could have added that depth (at the very least). As long as the starters stay healthy it could be a good season (that's true for most teams of course), but if our starters go down -- particularly on D -- the Rams could be in a lot of trouble.

That's what I took from the Titans game.

clarasDK is offline Registered User

I am totally with you!

Preseason games means nothing. Just check how many games the Colts have lost in preseason the last many years.

Will the Rams win the SB this year, I think not, will they make the playoffs? There is always hope. Will they be better then last year absolutely. As you also say we are in rebuilding mode and I think the future look bright. But it will take time so we have to be patient, stop whinning and support our team, both the old proven players and the new players who will become the stars of tomorrow.

On a side note:
    When I became a Ram fan in the late 90's alot of people was calling us new fans band wagon fans! Now that we are no longer the greatest show on turf alot of people are whinning, well I guess these are the times where band wagon fans and real fans are seperated

Go RAMS!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben56 View Post
    3. The team lacks quality depth. The Rams have been quiet in the FA market where they could have added that depth (at the very least). As long as the starters stay healthy it could be a good season (that's true for most teams of course), but if our starters go down -- particularly on D -- the Rams could be in a lot of trouble.

That's what I took from the Titans game.

Ah, but here is where we get into something known as "Screwdus Formerdus Managementus", or as we common people refer to it, "Screwed by the former management". This means that due to trades, contracts, deals, picks, and all matters monetary, we're stuck. We've got some excellent players on D, but we have some who likely wouldn't make it as a backup on other teams. We can't cut them, because: a) there isn't anyone out there any better than who we have, or: b) we can't afford to pay an outrageous amount for a player who IS better than who we've got, or; c) one of the other 31 teams can afford to pay much better, or; d) one of the other 31 teams has some connection with the player.

It makes you feel kinda like you do at tax time, doesn't it?

The good thing is that during a rebuild, no matter what it is that is being rebuilt, you throw in some new parts. I'll use an engine as an example:

When you rebuild an engine, you replace a lot of worn-out parts, including some that you would never think about normally, like the cam bearings. Usually, as long as you change the oil, do tune-ups, etc., those bearings won't give you any trouble. But, unless you replace those bearings during a rebuild, you're going to have problems. Those cheap little pieces of metal can destroy your engine, starting with the camshaft, and ending with a thud and a lot of oil.

Well, some of those underachievers on our D are the cam bearings. They don't give you improved performance, but without them our D will explode. Don't worry, I'm sure that they will be replaced as soon as new ones are available...and if you ever rebuilt an engine, you know how sweet they run when you first fire them up and break 'em in...

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Maybe you can't be convinced, but you'll be told that this team and this organization is just plain Garbage. Sometime we just have to face the harsh realities. Its not about just one preseson game, its about how many ass kickings can one team take (preseason or otherwise) before its return to respectability from its fans and the rest of the league.
    Why is Marc rusty? How long has he been the league? First he had trouble learning Martz system, then Linehans' system, Now Saunders system is the latest exscuse.
    What Marc needs is for someone to light a fire from under and behind!

I like our O-line if they can stay healthy.

Linehan needs to go, yesterday! Whatta waste! (time and money)

Did our Defensive front line play last night? Little, A.C., Hall, Glover did they do anything?

Nice 2nd pick in the draft, not a peep from him either.

Do you realize while you're wearing your Blue and gold gear, everyone laughing behind your back! and as far as your truck, if things continue in dreaded fashion for the Rams, the only thing left to do is Paint It, Black!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

I said it before...its one thing to have your second teams routed in preseason, but its another to see your starters stumble--thats the worry!

The Titans are not the only team that sport a good defense--which the Rams will soon discover this season. And its at the line that troubles me the most. How many solid plays where they where able to pass block--or better run block? Football is a game of fundimentals, and blocking is one of them. If you can't punch a hole in the D-line where is your RB suppose to go? If your WRs are covered, how is a QB to survive long enough till one breaks loose if the offensive line can't block?

Indeed, the Rams may have some under performers--granted what ever the cause they are on the team, its a matter of how to get them to perform.

DESCIMATION--best cure!! Public, brutal and humiliating--cut a few of them infront of the team letting all there to witness and know that those cut due to their performance will never play another down of professional football. Its a harsh tactic, but it works. Nothing like loosing a paycheck to inspire performance.

So, what you guys are saying is that I should be a Rams fan and support my team when we win, but not when we lose?

I think there's a word for that....anyone help me out here?

MOM
    MOM is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam View Post
    So, what you guys are saying is that I should be a Rams fan and support my team when we win, but not when we lose?

Fairweather?
    Two-faced?
    Fickle?

Oh, no wait! I know.....

B-A-N-D-W-A-G-O-N!

Yeah, that's it.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.stickershoppe.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/MLRPANCmini.jpg[/SIGPIC]This is for Randy! GO BRM!

dgr828 is offline Registered User

You don't have to get drastic! Never lose your support for the Rams, no matter how bad they get beaten by the Titans, in a preseason game.

Sometimes some of us just need to vent. Continue 'rockin' that 'Blue & Gold'!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RealRam is offline Registered User

Those of us who are trying to find hope are not blind to the poor performances. We aren't walking around with dumb smiles on our faces. We want to see the Rams respected because they are a great team. ...We just aren't willing to hide our faces because the team sucks. I wear Rams gear with pride, I drive around with Rams logos on my truck. I sure as hell ain't gonna take it off just because of one lousy game that followed one lousy season. Maybe those of you who are ready to pack it in need to find a Rams fan who lived through the 90's and ask them how they survived - and if they quit representing the team proudly.

Now - convince me to wear that stylish sackcloth and ashes you have on.

Great post to counter the Negs and bring a perspective of real balance & hope. Thanks RFS.

ScottD413 is offline Registered User

Of course you should always support the team. But dont be delusional. Our starters got beat...bad

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

I guess I don't get it.

What does talking about the Rams poor performance, and telling it like it is, have to to do with supporting the team? The team put on a really, really poor performance on Saturday, plain and simple. You can put any spin on it you want. "It was the backups, and all the injured starters not playing was the difference, or.... the Rams were just trying out the playbook but the Titans were playing to win." But the results and stats pretty much speak for themself, the Rams stunk up the field. You can sugarcoat a turd all you want, but it's still a turd. ...and I call a turd a turd.

So, tomorrow at work, when a fellow worker (that knows I'm a die-hard Ram fan) says to me; "your Rams sucked Saturday", if I respond by saying "you got that right", I'm not a true Ram's supporter?

Look, one preseason game does NOT a season make, but it may tell us something. Some of the Rams problems last year (in preseason, and then into the regular season) were repeated again on Saturday, and fans are understandably worried.

IF this team doesn't get it's act together in the next three weeks, and IF Jackson doesn't get his butt into camp, this team WILL be in trouble. That's not "gloom-and-doom" my friends, that's reality. Look at the schedule and tell me this team right now can take on the Eagles, Cowboys, Patriots, Giants, or Seahawks.

Let's hope the Rams put on a better performance next week against the Chargers. I don't care if they win or lose, but the first teamers had better show me a little something on both sides of the ball or I'll be on them like stink on...well, a turd. And if so....

...can I still wear my Rams hat?

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

I was at the Chargers (my home team right Roger Goodell?) and Cowboys game last night while our team was getting beat in a scrimmage at the same time. I finally watched the game today and no I wasn't happy, but I wasn't devastated either.

The funny thing is I saw the Cowboys just get whacked last night, but it really didn't matter. I also saw the same team whack the Rams last fall. Point being is it is pre-season ball and that's it. I have been watching the Rams pre-season games for long long time and I always find it better when we lose rather than we win. I think it is because if were losing, we actually being conservative and playing our second and third string players more. Pre-season means nothing to the record or to the regular season.

What did I see wrong?

Defense wasn't very good and the O'line isn't a complete unit yet....hmmm maybe we should play some more games that don't count against the record before we start the season to get everyone together on the same page....oh wait we do that already, in PRE-SEASON!

theodus69 is offline Registered User

This is just a plain ass whupn. And they look exactly like they ended the season. Jackson & Holt couldn,t help this mess out. Fact I'm sure they would have stumbled just as bad. This team looks pathetic and that is just the damn truth. Period.
    So let's say we let this debackle go by the long gone side. But if they come out looking again like this one...................................................someone better insert the largest shoe possible up their ass,. hell didn't they practice against these guys all week?
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

eldfan is offline Registered User

I hear a allot of it's just preseason but this team need to build confidents. You do that by playing well and there is a psychology effect of wining games even preseason games. If we were the Pats coming off a 18-1 season I would not be concern. But coming off a 3-13 season and playing bad last preseason than getting started like this. They got 3 more preseason games if the Chargers smack us down I guss I will hear it's only the second preseason game. Just play well rams thats all I want I don't care who is out there or who we are playing.
    :ramlogo:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast