Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 44 of 44
  1. #31
    Fortuninerhater's Avatar
    Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    L.A., Ca.
    Posts
    2,712
    Rep Power
    38

    Re: ok this is making me mad, so listen up!

    Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    As Nick mentioned, he was arrested for misdemeanor battery in 2005 and had a history of "wreckless partying". He was also disciplined by Pete Carrol in 2006 for "unruly behavior" at a frat party and then of course, the unwise incident on the sideline with Erin Andrews this year. He's been to counseling and Alchohalics Anonymous as part of his arrest plea agreement, but it seems like Rey still has some issues.
    Geez...how many college kids fit that description? What would you say...maybe 50 or 60%?

    And how many go on to be Doctors, Lawyers, Firemen, Policemen, Mayors, Governors, Presidents, and otherwise productive citizens?

    I'm sorry guys, I need far more than that to buy into this character issue thing. I think it's more like the media has the issue with him.


  2. #32
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    32
    Posts
    19,875
    Rep Power
    154

    Re: ok this is making me mad, so listen up!

    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Geez...how many college kids fit that description? What would you say...maybe 50 or 60%?

    And how many go on to be Doctors, Lawyers, Firemen, Policemen, Mayors, Governors, Presidents, and otherwise productive citizens?
    Probably quite a few, but it probably also comes up in the interview for them as well. And I wouldn't be surprised if some employers passed on them because of it, too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    I'm sorry guys, I need far more than that to buy into this character issue thing. I think it's more like the media has the issue with him.
    Clearly NFL teams had some kind of issue with him as well since he fell to the second round. Whether or not that issue is character, something else, or both, there's no way to be sure.

  3. #33
    dvbear55 Guest

    Re: ok this is making me mad, so listen up!

    I really like how they chose him over rey-rey. From articles ive read, he needs to bulk up a little bit. if he does that, he can be a dominant player for years to come.

  4. #34
    r8rh8rmike's Avatar
    r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    29 Palms, Ca.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,100
    Rep Power
    132

    Re: ok this is making me mad, so listen up!

    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Geez...how many college kids fit that description? What would you say...maybe 50 or 60%?

    And how many go on to be Doctors, Lawyers, Firemen, Policemen, Mayors, Governors, Presidents, and otherwise productive citizens?

    I'm sorry guys, I need far more than that to buy into this character issue thing. I think it's more like the media has the issue with him.
    50 or 60% of college kids get drunk, beat people up, get arrested and are forced to attend counciling sessions and alchohol abuse groups? I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one.

    If you want to make excuses for the guy, fine, but 32 teams took a pass on him in the first round and I'm pretty sure it wasn't because of the media.

  5. #35
    Fortuninerhater's Avatar
    Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    L.A., Ca.
    Posts
    2,712
    Rep Power
    38

    Re: ok this is making me mad, so listen up!

    Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    50 or 60% of college kids get drunk, beat people up, get arrested and are forced to attend counciling sessions and alchohol abuse groups? I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one.

    If you want to make excuses for the guy, fine, but 32 teams took a pass on him in the first round and I'm pretty sure it wasn't because of the media.

    We'll have to agree to disagree on this whole subject, because in my mind his character issues are fabricated. To me, he is no different than thousands of college kids across this fine nation.

    Futhermore, there's absolutely no reason to make any excuses for him, because you haven't written anything about him that is cause for concern for me. That stuff is rampant on virtually every college campus. Alert me when he actually does something serious.

  6. #36
    r8rh8rmike's Avatar
    r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    29 Palms, Ca.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,100
    Rep Power
    132

    Re: ok this is making me mad, so listen up!

    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    We'll have to agree to disagree on this whole subject, because in my mind his character issues are fabricated. To me, he is no different than thousands of college kids across this fine nation.

    Futhermore, there's absolutely no reason to make any excuses for him, because you haven't written anything about him that is cause for concern for me. That stuff is rampant on virtually every college campus. Alert me when he actually does something serious.
    Unfortunately for Maualuga, he did something that alerted NFL teams, and it cost him.

  7. #37
    Fortuninerhater's Avatar
    Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    L.A., Ca.
    Posts
    2,712
    Rep Power
    38

    Re: ok this is making me mad, so listen up!

    Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Unfortunately for Maualuga, he did something that alerted NFL teams, and it cost him.
    And unfortunately that speaks more to the status quo, than it does the player IMO.

  8. #38
    RAMFANRAIDERHATER's Avatar
    RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Surf City USA
    Age
    61
    Posts
    2,388
    Rep Power
    58

    Re: ok this is making me mad, so listen up!

    As Mike said, the kid did something, or some things that made him slide down to the 2nd round. I was watching the game when Rey did the "dance" behind the woman reporter. ...and it was ridiculously stupid and immature of him to do that.

    ...and I'm sorry ninerhater, I can't agree nor accept that "most college kids do that stuff" routine. "Thousands of kids across this fine nation" may be acting like that, but if we accept that behavior as "normal", or "acceptable", then shame on us. IMHO. You can't tell me that if you were watching that game, and Rey was your kid doing that on national TV, you could turn to the guy next to you and proudly declare; "that's my boy." I don't think so. I hope you'd be embarrassed, and kick the kid square in the behind as soon as he got home. I know I would. No, this kid has some issues, and obviously, most teams realized that and were willing to say "pass". It wasn't just the reporter issue that cost him, but something during the interview and testing process that convinced teams that he might be a character risk.

    Being a Southern Californian, I saw a lot of USC games, and the guy could hit, for sure. But.... to me, he played out of control at times. Kinda like his off-field behavior, perhaps? I think the Rams picked the right guy.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

  9. #39
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,709
    Rep Power
    145

    Re: ok this is making me mad, so listen up!

    To me, he is no different than thousands of college kids across this fine nation.
    And they didn't go in the first round either.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  10. #40
    Fortuninerhater's Avatar
    Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    L.A., Ca.
    Posts
    2,712
    Rep Power
    38

    Re: ok this is making me mad, so listen up!

    Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    As Mike said, the kid did something, or some things that made him slide down to the 2nd round. I was watching the game when Rey did the "dance" behind the woman reporter. ...and it was ridiculously stupid and immature of him to do that.

    ...and I'm sorry ninerhater, I can't agree nor accept that "most college kids do that stuff" routine. "Thousands of kids across this fine nation" may be acting like that, but if we accept that behavior as "normal", or "acceptable", then shame on us. IMHO. You can't tell me that if you were watching that game, and Rey was your kid doing that on national TV, you could turn to the guy next to you and proudly declare; "that's my boy." I don't think so. I hope you'd be embarrassed, and kick the kid square in the behind as soon as he got home. I know I would. No, this kid has some issues, and obviously, most teams realized that and were willing to say "pass". It wasn't just the reporter issue that cost him, but something during the interview and testing process that convinced teams that he might be a character risk.

    Being a Southern Californian, I saw a lot of USC games, and the guy could hit, for sure. But.... to me, he played out of control at times. Kinda like his off-field behavior, perhaps? I think the Rams picked the right guy.
    If we're this concerned about the behavior of Maualuga, I say that we as a country are in more trouble than we think. To thousands of college kids of all races and backgrounds his behavior is normal.

    Sure, as a parent I'd be embarrassed a bit by the dancing incident, but that's only because of how people around me perceive it. Personally, at the end of the day, I chalk it up to a college kid having fun. Certainly not a character concern. Poor judgement and character issues are not necessarily the same thing.

    Had he molested her, that of course changes everything. But as it was, to me, on a scale from 1 to 10, 10 being the most serious, the incident registers as a 1.

    IMO, humans in all walks of life are held to standards beyond their reach, so every little incident is blown way out of proportion and people as a consequence, stress themselves out way more than they should.

    I've learned over the years not to stress over incidents like these, realizing that none of us are anywhere near perfect. Therefore, my expectations are not as high as a lot of others.

    I allow humans to be humans which in turn, allows me to live as close to a stress-free life as possible. When you sit down and really think about it, if you believe like I believe, you'll realize that most things are not that serious.

    Having said all that, I'm content with JL, as I would've been with Maualuga. Go Rams.

  11. #41
    RAMFANRAIDERHATER's Avatar
    RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Surf City USA
    Age
    61
    Posts
    2,388
    Rep Power
    58

    Re: ok this is making me mad, so listen up!

    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    If we're this concerned about the behavior of Maualuga, I say that we as a country are in more trouble than we think. To thousands of college kids of all races and backgrounds his behavior is normal.

    Sure, as a parent I'd be embarrassed a bit by the dancing incident, but that's only because of how people around me perceive it. Personally, at the end of the day, I chalk it up to a college kid having fun. Certainly not a character concern. Poor judgement and character issues are not necessarily the same thing.

    Had he molested her, that of course changes everything. But as it was, to me, on a scale from 1 to 10, 10 being the most serious, the incident registers as a 1.

    IMO, humans in all walks of life are held to standards beyond their reach, so every little incident is blown way out of proportion and people as a consequence, stress themselves out way more than they should.

    I've learned over the years not to stress over incidents like these, realizing that none of us are anywhere near perfect. Therefore, my expectations are not as high as a lot of others.

    I allow humans to be humans which in turn, allows me to live as close to a stress-free life as possible. When you sit down and really think about it, if you believe like I believe, you'll realize that most things are not that serious.

    Having said all that, I'm content with JL, as I would've been with Maualuga. Go Rams.
    As you said, we don't all look at things the same way, and I'm okay with that. To each his own, they say, right?

    One thing we all will agree on though is that JL is our man now, and he's a Ram, and we're all pulling for him to be the guy in the middle that we've been missing for so long.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

  12. #42
    jkramsfan Guest

    Re: ok this is making me mad, so listen up!

    this is the first time I saw that video and he just acted stupid,I doubt he dropped for that reason alone but when you are rated as an upcoming first round draft pick and you do something like that on national TV then you get what you deserve-you are drafted by the Bengals

  13. #43
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    32
    Posts
    19,875
    Rep Power
    154

    Re: ok this is making me mad, so listen up!

    LA Times article about Maualuga included this section...

    Maualuga acknowledged hearing pre- and post-draft whispers that teams were reluctant to take him earlier because of trust issues.

    Four linebackers were selected in the first round, including USC teammates Brian Cushing and Clay Matthews. Cushing was selected 15th by the Houston Texans, Matthews 26th by the Green Bay Packers.

    None had the resume of Maualuga, a three-year starter who won the Bednarik Award last season as college football's top defensive player.

    But Maualuga's draft status might have been affected by an incident during his freshman season, when he was charged with a misdemeanor for punching a man at a party. (He entered a diversion program, and the charge was dropped upon his completion of it.) Maualuga also gained unwelcome national attention this year when he was caught on video gesturing suggestively behind ESPN reporter Erin Andrews before the Rose Bowl in January.

    One NFL team scout said Maualuga lacked discipline on the field, his "splash" plays -- the legendary sideline hit on UCLA quarterback Patrick Cowan and the interception return for a touchdown against Ohio State -- overshadowing inconsistency. The scout also said Maualuga interviewed poorly at the NFL combine in February, becoming confused when defensive coaches quizzed him.

    "That, combined with a perceived lack of maturity, were the biggest concerns," said the scout, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized by his team to speak on the record. "If you thought he was mature enough to really work at the game and approached it like a pro he would likely have gone higher. Character in the end played the biggest factor in the fall."

    A personnel director for an NFL team said Maualuga simply "guesses" too much on the field and did not grade out as a three-down player.

    "A lot of the problem that I have with him is he is more of a first- and second-down player -- not a third-down guy," the personnel director said. "If you're going to get a guy in the first round you want a guy that can play on third down."

  14. #44
    Ramer Guest

    Re: ok this is making me mad, so listen up!

    I'm with you, I think this was the right pick. Lauranitis is going to show everyone why the Rams made him their 2nd pick.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. 2007/2008 Free Agents
    By RamWraith in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: -02-26-2008, 03:46 PM
  2. Jackson Making Defenses Pick a Poison
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -11-10-2006, 09:00 AM
  3. Maurice Drew making big impressions
    By Nick in forum NFL TALK
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: -08-13-2006, 06:20 PM
  4. Making The Cut ...
    By MauiRam in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -06-22-2006, 12:44 PM
  5. Incognito Making Impression
    By MauiRam in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -06-10-2006, 03:14 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •