HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Ok, worst case scenario....

Let's go ahead and put this buffer in place. What happens if doomsday hits? The Rams a year similar to '07. What possible bright spots could there be from A Nightmare on Broadway Central: Part 2?

Well, being the eternal optimist, I have to start now panning for the proverbial silver lining to this hypothetical cloud. Here goes.....

1. Linehan will be fired. Most seem to think that will allow the singing of the Hallelujah choir, so we can at least look forward to a change of the reins.

2. We will be guaranteed one of the best NCAA players in the nation will be wearing horns in '09. If we go 1st OT, 2nd LB, 3rd QB (personal guess), I could see us landing Michael Oher, Scott McKillop, & Cullen Harper. Or if it goes the other way around.....1st LB, 2nd OT, 3rd QB; then add either Laurinaitis or Maualuga in the 1st and a true pass blocker like Eugene Monroe or the mauler Phil Loadholt in the 2nd to Harper in the 3rd.

3. Some of the GSOT leftover bandwagoners will finally move on, and leave the true fans to hold serious discussions involving the rebuilding of this once proud franchise.

And my personal favorite...

4. It's always darkest before the dawn. All the great dynasties were preceeded by a period of absolute suckosity. The 70's Steelers were awesome, but the 60's Steelers (including a 2-12 '68 & 1-13 '69...Noll's first year) sucked somethin' awful! Same is true for the 80's niners who sucked in '70s (2-14 '78 & 2-14 '79....Walsh's first year). As well as the 90's Cowboys who sucked for the last half of the 80's (3-13 '88 & 1-15 '89.....Johnson's first year). And don't forget the Pats who before they started consistent marches to January football in 1994 and 00's dynasty, they suffered through a terrible period in the early 90's (1-15 '90, 2-14 '92, & 5-11 '93.....Parcells first year).

Therefore, following the pattern, we are in a perfect position to close out this decade with a new coach (just as the '69 Steelers, '79 Niners, & '89 Cowboys) who will suffer in '09, but then go on to at least a decade of dominance.

Don't laugh, folks. History tells us that is exactly what will happen. We almost got it right at the end of the last decade, but tripped up fate. This decade.........let's get it right.
    Last edited by HUbison; -08-12-2008 at 11:59 AM.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: Ok, worst case scenario....

Or does that mean that the Raiders and Mr. 50-50 to start the season as the head coach will go on to a decade of dominance? They've achieved a level of suckiness far beyond what I would ever hope the Rams endure since losing to their traded head coach in 2002.

In all truth, there are those points and more to be made. One would hope that our young players and core of our defense have a good building year to get ready to dominate for many to come. Also, it gives a full year of being in Saunders' system(assuming he gets the HC position) for the rookie WR's, and Jax's contract should be settled one way or another.
    Last edited by TekeRam; -08-12-2008 at 11:48 AM.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

It all makes perfect sense to me.

Nice post HUb.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Very good post HUB. I share your worst concerns about this season. I feel that most of the silver-lining you outline revolves around the HC. I have felt that Linehan is not the right coach for us. What does it say when he needs to bring in a former coach (Vermiel) to "fire up the team".

All your other points are right on. We need to also work on this injury plague that has been cursing us for the past few years. I'm not sure if it's a conditioning matter or simply getting fragile players on the roster. Of course another doomsday year as you describe will add considerably to our depth, which when injuries pile up is essential.

Although with the brutal schedule facing us, I hope we have a better year, perhaps even a surprisingly good year. But it's way too early to speak at great length about the doomsday scenario.

Go Rams!

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Wouldn't the worst case scenerio be that the Rams once again play as horribly as last season, but the front office thinks it's in the team's best interest to give Linehan & Co. one last chance to right the ship?

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    Wouldn't the worst case scenerio be that the Rams once again play as horribly as last season, but the front office thinks it's in the team's best interest to give Linehan & Co. one last chance to right the ship?

LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

...Suckosity? Could you please furnish the etymological analysis of this word? Sadly, my American Heritage Dictionary is again woefully lacking in this department.

WHAT SAY YE?

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    ...Suckosity? Could you please furnish the etymological analysis of this word? Sadly, my American Heritage Dictionary is again woefully lacking in this department.

WHAT SAY YE?
    I'll be glad to. Suckosity is a state of suck. Suck coming from various proposed origins, but first appearing in Old English as "sucan" followed by the Middle English "suken" or "souken". Suck first appeared as a term of inferior position around 1940 in the phrase "suck hind tit". Around 1970, "suck" became it's own term for inferiority.

And then, of course, in 2008 a polyglot of unheard of proportion by the name HUbison, coined the phrase "suckosity".

And the rest is history.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I'll be glad to. Suckosity is a state of suck. Suck coming from various proposed origins, but first appearing in Old English as "sucan" followed by the Middle English "suken" or "souken". Suck first appeared as a term of inferior position around 1940 in the phrase "suck hind tit". Around 1970, "suck" became it's own term for inferiority.

And then, of course, in 2008 a polyglot of unheard of proportion by the name HUbison, coined the phrase "suckosity".

And the rest is history.
    Would the plural of this newly coined word be "sucksosity" or "suxosity" for the sake of brevity?

Also, since this is obviously going to be an ongoing endeavor, shouldn't something like a "suckometer" be developed so we can more accurately track the current state of the suckosity? (Oh man, one lousy pre season performance and look what we are discussing!!)

WHAT SAY YE?

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Would the plural of this newly coined word be "sucksosity" or "suxosity" for the sake of brevity?
    Hmm, intriguing interrogative.

Well, since "x" is one of the most under appreciated letters of all time (and because we're making this up as we go), I'm going to go with "suxosity".

makersncoke is offline Registered User

The only thing I see wrong with the worst case scenario is really after the way they played Sat. it may be the BEST case scenario. Look at the schedule and really evaluate their performance the other night and then tell me who they can beat besides maybe Miami. I hope they go 16-0 but I fear it may be a long season of pain and suffering.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by makersncoke View Post
    The only thing I see wrong with the worst case scenario is really after the way they played Sat. it may be the BEST case scenario. Look at the schedule and really evaluate their performance the other night and then tell me who they can beat besides maybe Miami. I hope they go 16-0 but I fear it may be a long season of pain and suffering.

To be fair, it was a preseason game, which shouldn't be an indication of the regular season for a number of reasons, but I see your point.

I think we can pull off victories against Atlanta, Buffalo, Miami, split the ***** games, perhaps squeeze one from the Cardinals, and that's at five wins. Maybe even six with the state Chicago's in.

Quote Originally Posted by makersncoke View Post
    2007 NY Giants - 1-3
    2006 Indy Colts - 1-3
    2004 NE Pats - 1-3

Three of the last four SB Champs were 1-3 in the preseason.

2007 Dolphins - 2-2 (1-15)
    2006 Raiders - 4-1 (2-14)
    2005 Jets - 3-1 (4-12)
    2005 Cardinals - 3-1 (5-11)
    2004 Browns - 3-1 (4-12)
    2003 Cardinals - 4-0 (4-12)
    2002 Bengals - 2-2 (2-14)
    2001 Panthers - 2-2 (1-15)
    2000 Chargers - 3-0 (1-15)
    1999 Niners - 3-1 (4-12)

Each of the above teams had excellent preseasons, then went on to finish either at or near the bottom of the league.

2007 Pats - 2-2 (16-0)
    2006 Chargers - 2-2 (14-2)
    2005 Colts - 0-5 (14-2)
    2004 Steelers - 2-2 (15-1)
    2003 Rams - 1-3 (12-4)
    2002 Eagles - 1-3 (12-4)
    2001 Bears - 1-3 (13-3)
    2000 Giants - 0-3 (12-4)
    1999 Rams - 2-2 (13-3)
    1999 Titans - 1-3 (13-3)

Each of the above teams had less than stellar preseasons, but finished the regular season at or near the top of the league.

Bottomline: The preseason has next to nothing to do with regular season performance.

theodus69 is offline Registered User

It's not the losses , it's that lack of abillity by the first teams. The win, loss is nothing to me. It's the guys who are supposed to play the whole game when the season gets here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They looked like this last PS and at the end of the year and lowwww and beholdddddd here we are again. So how's this HUB'.......... I think that jackASSon has really topped the suxocity meter with his timely hold out...............Don't ya think ?
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

Quote Originally Posted by theodus69 View Post
    So how's this HUB'.......... I think that jackASSon has really topped the suxocity meter with his timely hold out...............Don't ya think ?
    Excellent display of wordsmithery, my friend.